• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    http://mossberg.com/product/rifles-...4,4278&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=4274

I am loving the hell out of this rifle design, and it's on the list for a bolt gun build. I would have preferred an 18" barrel, but everything else is pretty nice - long rail for optics, ghost ring irons, 6.75lb unloaded weight, pmag/M1A compatibility, etc.

There's also the new light chassis and LR variants that may appeal to people... I'm too much of a carbine guy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I love their approach to the rail, though... not all of us can use scout scopes (cross-eye dominance), but I like the other features and would rather just use it with a normal scope.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    The MVP has been getting some good press lately and the fact that they offer an MDT LSS chassis and stock OOB is pretty cool. My next rifle is going to be a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 with that same chassis. MVP doesn't have open sites with the MTD. I'll end up hundreds less than the Mossy with what I consider a better trigger and more aftermarket toys available for the action. Feels like a good hunting/woods rifle combo to me.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If the action feels better than the .223 variant I shot, then I could be tempted.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have the predator version and love it. My son got a perfect heart shot on a deer at 180 yards with it, I got a running heart shot at 100 yds with it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I love their approach to the rail, though... not all of us can use scout scopes (cross-eye dominance), but I like the other features and would rather just use it with a normal scope.

I agree. I've been eying up the Patrol version (that I linked above) these last few months because I wouldn't use the forward mounted scope (my eyes wouldn't like) that the Ruger Gunsite Scout is set up for, but the appeal of a lighter weight, shorter barreled, bolt action 308 is high for me. The fact that the MVPs utilize a more ubiquitous mag platform is a bonus. They're not stainless as some Ruger offerings, but for $200-300 less, so what.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I hunt with a Ruger Compact in .308, and while I love the small, lightweight rig it thumps pretty hard for a .308.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I believe that the design is also supposed to be faster focusing for closer quarter's engagement or hunting in brush. The eye has a wider field of vision because the optic is forward on the rail, so the rifle is aligned more quickly on the target, with the optic fine tuning coming at the end. The design obviously predates holographic red dots, and requires optics with a long ass eye relief.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    The MVP has been getting some good press lately and the fact that they offer an MDT LSS chassis and stock OOB is pretty cool. My next rifle is going to be a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 with that same chassis. MVP doesn't have open sites with the MTD. I'll end up hundreds less than the Mossy with what I consider a better trigger and more aftermarket toys available for the action. Feels like a good hunting/woods rifle combo to me.

I was looking at the LSS also. Reportedly, it's not 100% drop in. The XLR Element chassis seems to get better press over at Sniper Central and The Hide. Ive gotta cut and thread my barrel first and get rid of that damn X-Mark trigger first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom