• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 10, 2023
    If clean your not actively addicted.

If it was for over 30 days and voluntary I think it will be a disqualifier. I think most rehabs are consider mental health places. But dont hold me to it.

What I would do is pay 300 bucks to lawyer if you can to confirm your status.

But here is a side note the state police cant see private mental health stuff, only the state run mental health system.
    Gotcha

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Either way I wonder if they would have access to that data if it wasn't court order ? can they access medication , information from doctor visits ?
    No they can only access if your where admitted to start run mental treatment places. They cant access private medical providers.

You also need to know they cant actually see your records. What they can see is if there is a name and birthdate that matches a record the state health dept keeps and they only have state hospital record.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is where comar comes in. The law can say one thing, and the dept that controls it can interpitate it as something different.
    While MSP can interpret what a requirement is (one shot requirement added to show proof of ability to safely handle a firearm), MSP CANNOT rewrite a definition in State Statute.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Even armed security officers do not require a W&C. What kind of job does? Are they still hiring? :)
    In Maryland, they actually do, and are required to have it and their "guard card" on their person at all time when working.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, You will have to answer questions 9 and 10 in the affirmative. There are no time constraints on those two questions, only whether you have or haven't yada yada yada. Answer everything truthfully and see where it goes. Do not lie. Arrests without convictions still count as arrests as far as I know.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Nah no idea who that is . I have been working for a few months and seen that name thrown around a few times . Can you get me hip to the story?
    It means I'm exceedingly cynical, and that the previous Maryland attorney general, Brian Frosh, despised, and despises guns, and has had minions join MDS to throw a monkey wrench into our works

I 100% wish you all the best, in all your pro 2A endeavors

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I was at a low point in my life a few years ago and I was homeless . A friend recommended I go to a drug rehab instead of a shelter ( rehab helps with housing and other personal issues ) I've been clean 4 years now and as of August obtain a job was required me to get a wear and carry . I guess my question is will the rehab disqualify me from such license ?
    Congrats on your sobriety!!!! Keep it up.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    what is COMAR?

@OP congrats on getting clean! Best of luck
    COMAR is the Code of Maryland Regulations. It is a compilation of administrative rules issued by state agencies pursuant to the statutes they are tasked to enforce. The rules have the force of law.

For example, it is the state equivalent of what the ATF just did with the pistol brace rule.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    It means I'm exceedingly cynical, and that the previous Maryland attorney general, Brian Frosh, despised, and despises guns, and has had minions join MDS to throw a monkey wrench into our works

I 100% wish you all the best, in all your pro 2A endeavors
    I thought he was also the one that liked to get lit at illegal teen drinking parties he was hosting.

Maybe that was some other corrupt POS. :shrug:

Apr 10, 2023
    No they can only access if your where admitted to start run mental treatment places. They cant access private medical providers.

You also need to know they cant actually see your records. What they can see is if there is a name and birthdate that matches a record the state health dept keeps and they only have state hospital record.
    That's what I keep hearing. But what made me doubt it at first was the waiver we have to sign

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    That's what I keep hearing. But what made me doubt it at first was the waiver we have to sign
    I have talked about this before, my father helped write the system that does the search. He was the director of information for the state health dept.
    The way it actually works is pretty cool. The SP enters your name and birthday into a system, that system encodes the name and BD and looks for a matching encoding in a data base. The SP cant see any names, or info, all they can do is enter the name and BD. They cant see the DB so they could not decode the info there. edit also the if there is a hit they send more info to the DMH for someone there to look deeper and check it out.
    When they where testing it they used test files with 10k fake names and BD's, they did not get a single false hit. So its accurate and pretty secure ( it has to be by fed law )

Apr 10, 2023
    I have talked about this before, my father helped write the system that does the search. He was the director of information for the state health dept.
    The way it actually works is pretty cool. The SP enters your name and birthday into a system, that system encodes the name and BD and looks for a matching encoding in a data base. The SP cant see any names, or info, all they can do is enter the name and BD. They cant see the DB so they could not decode the info there. edit also the if there is a hit they send more info to the DMH for someone there to look deeper and check it out.
    When they where testing it they used test files with 10k fake names and BD's, they did not get a single false hit. So its accurate and pretty secure ( it has to be by fed law )
    Ahhh yes I remember you saying that forgot what thread it was though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom