• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Just got back from the range. It is an awesome range with good facilities and equipment.

Rates are reasonable and some ammo was available. But limited to one box per customer.

However....NO AUTOMATIC FIRE ALLOWED. WTF? Whoever said it was okay to fire legal machine-guns there, knows the secret handshake . I don't.. So no happy switch today. Bummer......... So I went home, ate a taco bell nacho grande and a steak buritto. Magdump at my special happy place soon.

I was at MSAR over the weekend and was talking to a staff member when she said she had to tell someone he couldnt shoot full auto there. I described you and she said "Yep that was him". I started cracking up, while at the same time feeling bad for you. I just had a funny feeling it was you.

They WILL be allowing full auto there in the future. But as of now, it will only be for their rentals. They will have 2 MP5's in 9mm, 2 MP5's in .40, and 2 UMP's in .40 for rent. You will be accompanied by staff the entire time and will only be able to use their ammo.

The staff I spoke to said to go in during the week and ask for Teresa. They told me that if enough people request they allow it for personal guns it may happen. Both the staff and I agreed that if someone owns a select fire gun 99/100 they know how to use it properly and would not be a detriment to the range. At this point its just a matter of getting it passed management.

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    I was at MSAR over the weekend and was talking to a staff member when she said she had to tell someone he couldnt shoot full auto there. I described you and she said "Yep that was him". I started cracking up, while at the same time feeling bad for you. I just had a funny feeling it was you.

They WILL be allowing full auto there in the future. But as of now, it will only be for their rentals. They will have 2 MP5's in 9mm, 2 MP5's in .40, and 2 UMP's in .40 for rent. You will be accompanied by staff the entire time and will only be able to use their ammo.

The staff I spoke to said to go in during the week and ask for Teresa. They told me that if enough people request they allow it for personal guns it may happen. Both the staff and I agreed that if someone owns a select fire gun 99/100 they know how to use it properly and would not be a detriment to the range. At this point its just a matter of getting it passed management.

I think any range would say no to "full-auto". But I mean this is MSAR, there are no range masters inside, the management is relaxed, and on a week day you will probably have the entire range room to yourself, so let loose. I doubt anyone complains. I walked in one time and saw a guy in full camo gear in the prone position at one of the end lanes with what looked like a .50 caliber letting loose. Bringing up Full-auto at NRA range would probably get you backhanded with a leather glove. I spoke with management regarding range stools in the rifle lanes, and they informed me they will be bringing some in soon, and that it has been requested a lot. I saw a long table in the rifle range one time, and a group brought in a ton of ammo and about 30 rifles (AR's, P90s) and handguns (I think I even saw a blunderbuss LOL), I laughed a bit when I opened the door, they looked like they were gearing up to fight Cobra Commander. They were cool. All this to say the management was pretty flexible with all that gear and table they brought in.

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    I enjoyed going to the old MSAR and like being able to bring my own ammo. It keeps shooting around here reasonable and accessible. Looking forward to checking out the new digs.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Even though I live in Rockville and belong to Damascus IWAC, I occaisionaly drive to MSAR when the weather really sucks. They no longer give police discount, but you can't complain about $15.00 for unlimited time. More important, I can use my own ammo, unlike an unnamed facility off Gude Rd in Rockville.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Even though I live in Rockville and belong to Damascus IWAC, I occaisionaly drive to MSAR when the weather really sucks. They no longer give police discount, but you can't complain about $15.00 for unlimited time. More important, I can use my own ammo, unlike an unnamed facility off Gude Rd in Rockville.

$20 now. ;)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    unlike an unnamed facility off Gude Rd in Rockville.

Gilbert's....... cough..cough... :innocent0

I also live VERY close to Gilbert's and will never go there. MSAR has always treated me well and I enjoy shooting there. The new range is fantastic and the staff is great. There isnt a bad thing to say about it.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I also live close to Gilbert. And I also won't even step inside that place. I used to go to the old MSAR but now usually go to NRA. Will have to try the new place one of these days.

PaulyCOinMD

Jan 4, 2016
    Parkville
    Made my way down to MSAR from B'more City over the weekend to sight in my new AR-15. Since I wanted a 50-yard zero I decided to give MSAR a try. Although the wait was a bit lengthy, I found the waiting area to be comfortable and the staff very friendly. The lanes were up to expectation and I had no issues with any of the other customers or RSOs. All-in-all a pleasant experience and looking forward to going back in the not too distant future. My 2¢.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom