• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    If someone were to have a M1 rifle received from the old DCM and this rifle was in unissued condition what would it be worth? This rifle would be in the 5.9mil range and unfired since received in the mid 1980s. It has the original paperwork but no box. CMP ocassionally auctions these unissued rifles getting insane $$$$$$.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    do you mean "unissued condition" as in identical to how it was received from DCM after their refurbishing, or do you mean mint WWII unissued configuration and condition? If the latter, you just may have some kind of lottery ticket. If the former, what olddawg said.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Been thinking about your question. If I were you I'd head over to the forum section at ODCMP.org. There are some real knowledgeable guys on that board. They can give you the straight scoop. Good luck.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    do you mean "unissued condition" as in identical to how it was received from DCM after their refurbishing, or do you mean mint WWII unissued configuration and condition? If the latter, you just may have some kind of lottery ticket. If the former, what olddawg said.

A 5.9 mill serial number is well after WWII. It's late Korean vintage.

"Unissued" condition is very vague...

Jamie

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    as mentioned, there is a BIG difference between unissued condition, and unissued condition since leaving the factory.

here's a CMP auction for a 5.8+ mil range springfield from last month that is unissued.

take a look at that ending price

http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2575&pic=0#img

of course an unissued rifle being sold by CMP is going to sell for a better price than an unissued rifle sold by an individual, so dont go getting your hopes up too high.

what you should do is fill out one of these garand data sheets. do so carefully, take it apart carefully, use gloves to handle it, any mark on it, and it will no longer be unissued, provided it really is unissued to begin with.

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1DataSheetFillable.pdf

once you've filled that out, take detailed quality pics of the whole rifle. after that i'd post it up on the CMP forums and let some of the real experts mull it over, once you have an absolute idea of its originality and condition then you can be comfortable in knowing that you are accurately describing it and asking a fair price.

you might do better selling it in a proper auction like rock island auctions.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    as mentioned, there is a BIG difference between unissued condition, and unissued condition since leaving the factory.

here's a CMP auction for a 5.8+ mil range springfield from last month that is unissued.

take a look at that ending price

http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2575&pic=0#img

of course an unissued rifle being sold by CMP is going to sell for a better price than an unissued rifle sold by an individual, so dont go getting your hopes up too high.

what you should do is fill out one of these garand data sheets. do so carefully, take it apart carefully, use gloves to handle it, any mark on it, and it will no longer be unissued, provided it really is unissued to begin with.

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M1DataSheetFillable.pdf

once you've filled that out, take detailed quality pics of the whole rifle. after that i'd post it up on the CMP forums and let some of the real experts mull it over, once you have an absolute idea of its originality and condition then you can be comfortable in knowing that you are accurately describing it and asking a fair price.

you might do better selling it in a proper auction like rock island auctions.

$6K WOW! That's some serious coin. I agree with your point 100% about not getting the same price. Once it leaves CMP or DCM (for that matter) and is in private hands it gets hard to prove it's provenance as unused/unfired. It's not like it's still in the wrap like an Irish Contract Enfield. I'd love to see some pics of it. But we are also agreed the CMP forum is the palce to get answers.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    This one is unissued as manufactured by Springfield Armory. It's 100% correct with the correct 65 series parts. I've done a data sheet on it and everything is correct. To see the rifle you can tell it's never been issued. The Parkerizing has that grainy never been oiled look and the wood has the same untouched look. All cartouches are sharp and well struck. The chamber is shiny which means it's not been refinished. I talked to one of the "BIG" M1 collectors and he said that DCM sent out a lot of late Springfields in unissued condition. I don't know what a lot is but that's what Scott Duff said, oops I said his name.
    I've seen the insane amount the CMP auctions bring for this condition rifle. The first ones went for $12k. I don't know who has that amount of money for a rifle. I was wondering what it would be valued in the real world where people that aren't crazy rich live. My guess was $1800-2000 maybe more maybe less.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I should have kept that stuff. I was 18ish and living at home, mom wouldn't stand for old boxes sitting around so out it went. If I recall correctly it arrived in the box in a plastic bag and had a paper tube in the barrel. Looked like a long soda straw.

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    This one is unissued as manufactured by Springfield Armory. It's 100% correct with the correct 65 series parts. I've done a data sheet on it and everything is correct. To see the rifle you can tell it's never been issued. The Parkerizing has that grainy never been oiled look and the wood has the same untouched look. All cartouches are sharp and well struck. The chamber is shiny which means it's not been refinished. I talked to one of the "BIG" M1 collectors and he said that DCM sent out a lot of late Springfields in unissued condition. I don't know what a lot is but that's what Scott Duff said, oops I said his name.
    I've seen the insane amount the CMP auctions bring for this condition rifle. The first ones went for $12k. I don't know who has that amount of money for a rifle. I was wondering what it would be valued in the real world where people that aren't crazy rich live. My guess was $1800-2000 maybe more maybe less.

Duff is "the Man". If he says it I'd believe it. I have both his books. Collectors are strange ducks. You never know how they will react to a weapon. $2K is a good staring point and anything above is cream. Hell, do you remember what you paid for it.;) Pure profit. Bet you wish you had a safe full of them.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    awesome, good luck, one sale like that could fund a whole lot of other awesome purchases.

as you said though, the price you get can be a real crap shoot, it can depend on the economy and who's eyes you get it in front of, there's just such a wide range in possible price.

let us know what you end up getting for it, id be real curious to see.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I had one guy interested but neither of us wanted to say a number. I don't need to sell it but I thought maybe someone else would like it in their collection. It's been sitting around and I dust it off occasionally, that's about it. I paid something like $184 from DCM when you got one per life. My dad shot for one at the same time and he got a crappy old gap letter IHC. A rifle made by the refrigeration division of a tractor company, what junk. Fortunately for him every part but the receiver is SA, I guess he got lucky. (sarcasm)

So Lou, why so generous on the opening bid? Not feeling sorry for me are you?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Unless you really want the cash keep it! You will NEVER have another one like that and you have already had it this long. Cash is worthless in a certain sense, so easy to spend and at the end you have nothing. However the rifle is something tangable that is rare given its age. You could at least post some pictures for us/.........

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    So Lou, why so generous on the opening bid? Not feeling sorry for me are you?

Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't:D

I looked at the CMP link and saw that $6000.00+ winning bid (need eye and brain bleach after that one) and it just proves the old saying, "there's an ass for every seat".

A friend of mine sold a case (1,000 rds) of .357 Magnum Federal on gun broker during the "big bubble" at something like $1,525.00. I asked him if he included shipping with that outragious winning bid and he said yes; mighty white of him.:lol2:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Unless you really want the cash keep it! You will NEVER have another one like that and you have already had it this long. Cash is worthless in a certain sense, so easy to spend and at the end you have nothing. However the rifle is something tangable that is rare given its age. You could at least post some pictures for us/.........

the thing is you can buy a nearly identical rifle for $600 it will simply look more its age and maybe have some replaced parts.

a gun like this is only truly worth its value because there are a lot of guys out there who collect garands, and this would fit a hard to fill hole in a very large collection.

while he has had it a long time, if he isnt a garand collector, and hes offered a lot of money for it, i think he'd get a whole lot more enjoyment out of a bunch of guns he could buy for the money, rather than the garand that you are afraid to touch because its value is dependent on it being untouched.

you may be right, and it has more sentimental value than money can pay for, but i tell you what, for what these are going for, that has to be a whole lot of sentimental value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom