• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    A German company is set to release a gun which can only be fired by a user wearing a corresponding wristwatch. NJ passed a law more than a decade ago which was triggered when such a gun was developed. And you have Bloomberg, Hopkins and the usual cast of characters.

How much you want to bet the bills have been drafted for Annapolis already.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/sta...d_take_effect_soon_limit_supply.html?page=all

And, of course, the title should be "may take effect".

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    what could go wrong!?...oh yeah....
    https://teksyndicate.com/news/2012/09/05/apple-patents-technology-block-recording-rallies-and-riots
    Imagine a new strategy in which the government doesn't go after banning firearms, but instead mandates "safety features"...you know....like seat belts and airbags. After a little, they can make possession of guns without these "safety features" illegal, but it's cool because they're opening gun buy-back stations to collect those outdated unsafe guns. They can then go about the usual business of banning guns, knowing they can just flip a switch to turn off an armed resistance to government overreach.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Oh unintended consequences

Friday-the-13th-Machete-Replica.jpg

Plus

The+living+severed+hand.jpg

= Safety defeated. Whats next getting your eyes cut out?

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    “Who is going to want to buy an old stupid gun rather than a smart gun?” Teret, who has been working on the issue for 30 years, said. “I am very optimistic about this.” -

Uhhhhhh, me, and anyone with a goddamn brain?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Maryland already passed that law 10 or 12 years ago.

It's just been on hold, waiting for a Smart Gun that works.

Maryland has a law in place that requires monitoring of developments, New Jersey has a law in place that forces implementation when it's available...

Unless you have a different PSA to cite, it's not a sleeper law (yet) here in Maryland.

LEGISLATION

Maryland

Maryland law defines a “personalized handgun” as any handgun manufactured with technology incorporated into the design (1) allowing it to be fired only by its authorized user and (2) preventing any of its safety characteristics from being easily deactivated. The state Handgun Roster Board must review the status of personalized handgun technology and report its findings to the governor and the General Assembly annually (Md. Code Ann., Pub. Safety § 5-132).

As opposed to:

New Jersey

In 2002, New Jersey adopted a law to eventually require smart gun technology to be incorporated into all handguns sold in the state. New Jersey defines a “personalize handgun” as “[A] handgun which incorporates within its design, and as part of its original manufacture, technology which automatically limits its operational use and which cannot be readily deactivated, so that it may only be fired by an authorized or recognized user.”

Until the attorney general finds that personalized gun technology is available, he or she must report to the governor and the legislature every six months on the availability of personalized handguns for retail sales.

Twenty-three months after the attorney general finds that smart handguns are available for retail sale, the attorney general and the superintendent of state police must begin the process of promulgating a list of such handguns that may be sold in New Jersey. This process must be completed within six months.

Six months after the initial list of handguns is approved, it will be unlawful for any licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retail firearms dealer to transport into New Jersey, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign, or otherwise transfer a handgun unless it is a personalized handgun (excluding antique handguns and handguns used by law enforcement or military officers) (N.J. Rev. Code §§ 2C:39-1, 2C:58-2.2 et seq.).

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Maryland has a law in place that requires monitoring of developments, New Jersey has a law in place that forces implementation when it's available...

Unless you have a different PSA to cite, it's not a sleeper law (yet) here in Maryland.

LEGISLATION

Maryland

Maryland law defines a “personalized handgun” as any handgun manufactured with technology incorporated into the design (1) allowing it to be fired only by its authorized user and (2) preventing any of its safety characteristics from being easily deactivated. The state Handgun Roster Board must review the status of personalized handgun technology and report its findings to the governor and the General Assembly annually (Md. Code Ann., Pub. Safety § 5-132).

As opposed to:

New Jersey

In 2002, New Jersey adopted a law to eventually require smart gun technology to be incorporated into all handguns sold in the state. New Jersey defines a “personalize handgun” as “[A] handgun which incorporates within its design, and as part of its original manufacture, technology which automatically limits its operational use and which cannot be readily deactivated, so that it may only be fired by an authorized or recognized user.”

Until the attorney general finds that personalized gun technology is available, he or she must report to the governor and the legislature every six months on the availability of personalized handguns for retail sales.

Twenty-three months after the attorney general finds that smart handguns are available for retail sale, the attorney general and the superintendent of state police must begin the process of promulgating a list of such handguns that may be sold in New Jersey. This process must be completed within six months.

Six months after the initial list of handguns is approved, it will be unlawful for any licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retail firearms dealer to transport into New Jersey, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign, or otherwise transfer a handgun unless it is a personalized handgun (excluding antique handguns and handguns used by law enforcement or military officers) (N.J. Rev. Code §§ 2C:39-1, 2C:58-2.2 et seq.).
    Sooooo ****ed up that LE/MIL are exempt from this kind of shit. Their lives are OK, but not a ordinary peons...

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    How bout when some government techy invents a master switch to turn off all the privately owned smart guns, "we're not sure what happened but we're working on it".

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I want to see the NJ LEOs use these guns first, lets see how that goes over..

Well the law only exempts duty weapons. The text is "for official purposes" which could also mean that off duty cops can't carry anything but smart guns.

I predict though that they'll get an exemption (you know, for "public safety") and the rest of us won't get jack.

Meanwhile I'm going to continue to buy "dumb" guns that work without any electronics until they force me to buy these stupid crippled guns. I hope we can sue and overturn this law but I'm not hopeful with the NJ leftist activists courts.

Also the law is at the discretion of the AG but even with Republican (RINO) Christie, I am not holding out much hope since Christie's AGs are notoriously anti gun.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Yep. that's my concern too.

Your government could "Disable" your firearms if "needed" for some reason.

That is my biggest concern. A random malfunction is a big deal, but an even bigger deal is if the Government or a criminal (not much difference) decides to disable my gun. Let's say they have a no knock raid. They first jam my "smart" guns and then they kick down the door and proceed with the raid with their "dumb" guns.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Yep. I'm not fond of this idea for the same reasons you are... Additionally, what happens when my watch dies or I can't charge my "smart gun" because power has been out for two weeks?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    If the 2A is the backstop against tyranny, then this law is definitely a no go since it would enable the police/military/jbt to disable your weapons which are supposed to be protecting you against a tyrannical regime.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Funny how none of them think of how easy it would be to remove or disable such a thing. Guns all work basically the same way, and unlike a car you can pocket a stolen gun and take it home to work on it. This is just more ways to prevent people from protecting themselves.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    We are supposed to have flying cars and robot maids by now too as commonplace occurrences....not too concerned they are going to phase out traditional weapons anytime soon.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Funny how none of them think of how easy it would be to remove or disable such a thing. Guns all work basically the same way, and unlike a car you can pocket a stolen gun and take it home to work on it. This is just more ways to prevent people from protecting themselves.

If done properly it could be difficult to bypass.

Cars today aren't being stolen the old fashioned way so much because cars now have chipped keys that communicate directly with the on board computer.

Similarly, smart guns paired with smart ammo and electric primers would be a virtually impossible system to bypass.

It would also increase the cost of the gun and ammo which would further the gun grabbers' goals as well.

This is just the beginning.

What you can't legislate away you can use technology and mandates to get around.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    We are supposed to have flying cars and robot maids by now too as commonplace occurrences....not too concerned they are going to phase out traditional weapons anytime soon.

It will be like full auto. You can own a full auto but it's expensive. Similarly you can buy a grandfathered "dumb" gun but it will go up in price if this catches on.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    If done properly it could be difficult to bypass.

I evaluated your post and the initial if clause returned false. The chances of it being done properly are slim, at least initially.

Cars today aren't being stolen the old fashioned way so much because cars now have chipped keys that communicate directly with the on board computer.

The general populace just does not understand cryptography. They think, and this includes management at most of these companies, that the more secrets a system has the better. The best crypto has *one* secret - the keys - everything else is open to scrutiny.

Most of these systems work off a rather small key search space. My favorite story was the Exxon SpeedPass. 64-bit key with numerous vulnerabilities, because no one else but the crypto vendor audited these systems before deploying them.

It's possible to steal these new cars by firing up a laptop connected to a Software-Defined Radio (you want a Free Software implementation, GnuRadio works great for this, although I'm not a HAM so I haven't used it), study it, come up with an exploit or just a replay attack (because some of these systems aren't good enough to avoid that) and you can unlock a car, start it, and drive off without any sign of forced entry...and the police will tell you there's nothing that can be done because their forensic techniques don't handle looking at embedded system log files...assuming they even exist.

Embedded systems are (select as many as you want) meant to be low-power, temperature-tolerant, and work in pretty crappy environments. This means they're not latest tech by any means and they'll take shortcuts to save battery life. (We call those "engineering trade-offs" but they're still shortcuts. You want that button cell to be replaced every 6 months? No? Then use a shorter key length.)

Similarly, smart guns paired with smart ammo and electric primers would be a virtually impossible system to bypass.

:lol: If it's my gun, I can simply hack into (or replace) the circuit to return a fire signal at any pull of the trigger - bypassing the check and turning my smart gun "back into" a dumb gun as long as the battery's charged. If we have regular auditing of smart guns, I can solder a socket in or something (or just replace the firmware come audit time, and then re-exploit it and reflash my firmware to go shooting again).

We could also remove any restrictions. Civilian guns limited to 1 shot per 2 seconds? I can remove that...

It would also increase the cost of the gun and ammo which would further the gun grabbers' goals as well.

This is just the beginning.

What you can't legislate away you can use technology and mandates to get around.

And there are people who will happily liberate that technology. Software is fungible.

I'd actually really LIKE a software controlled gun - for experimentation purposes only...but I'd never actually trust my life to proprietary or government-written software if I can help it. Is it telling that the "newest" car I own is a 2001, before drive-by-wire became popular?

They already have firearms (scopes, really) that are software-controlled and help you set up perfect shots (although they won't let you pull the trigger until the parameters are right).

It *could* be done, but it's going to take a few iterations...and until that happens...the mice shall play while the cat's away. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom