• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    Last night MSNBC's Chris "Hardball" Matthews stated, on a pre SOTU television program, that Obama would soon introduce a new Gun Control bill, it may be introduced as the answer to events like Tuscon, and could IMO be called Gifford's Gun Control bill.

Read this:

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/ChrisMatthews-Obama-guncontrol/2011/01/26/id/383940

IMO Gabby Giffords could be wheeled out to introduce the bill, and sign the law. It will be quite a tear jerking moment, and the people and the press will eat it up with a spoon.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Obama will soon introduce a sweeping Gun Control bill, it will be celebrated as the answer to events like Tuscon, and will be called Gifford's Gun Control bill.

Gabby Giffords will be wheeled out to introduce the bill, and sign the law. It will be quite a tear jerking moment, and the people and the press will eat it up with a spoon.

sources for these kind of remarks is pretty standard....

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Obama will soon introduce a sweeping Gun Control bill, it will be celebrated as the answer to events like Tuscon, and will be called Gifford's Gun Control bill.

Gabby Giffords will be wheeled out to introduce the bill, and sign the law. It will be quite a tear jerking moment, and the people and the press will eat it up with a spoon.

Without a source, it's just a rumor. People make up rumors all the time, and you'd be surprised how many anti-gun rumors are made up by pro-gun people.

The main issue with this rumor to me, is that Gabby Gillfords wasn't exactly anti-gun, nor does she, as a House member, have the power to sign bills into law.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Source looks to be a pretty right wing site. I mean it's by no means beyond the realm of possibility, but this would be throwing down the gauntlet with the House, which would be needed to pass a gun control law. To think that the House would pass sweeping gun control laws, that would be shocking.

Be guarded, but don't go bat shit bonkers over a rumor. :)

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    Barry will try to playcate his little leftist loons, but won't make a serious push. It would not pass the house and it certainly would not pass the senate because they have several moderate scared dem's that are up for election in 2012.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Just imagine what would happen if Obama comes out in support of new gun control laws, it would be 2008 all over again with anything that could be banned/restricted selling out fast and prices going through the roof. There would be a lot of money to be made and it would definitely stimulate the economy.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    well, WeaponsCollector, as someone on the other side of the counter during that fiasco, I can tell you that most gun dealers didn't exactly like it. Everything was hard to get. Nobody was happy. Serious shooters and collectors just looked at everyone screaming for anything semiautomatic or pistol grip-equipped and shook their heads. All it did was PO the machinegunners-who couldn't find ammo to run their buzzguns. To make matters worse, nobody really made much (except maybe the distributors). The manufacturers are now feeling the economic effects of an attempt to cash in too late. It was a bad scene and I really don't think any of us want to see that happen again. A lot of first-time buyers (some of which have now become gun owners instead of gun buyers) have told me stories that i can only liken to economic violation about their initial purchases from what I would term unscrupulous dealers at shows or in stores. It gives our whole industry and sport a bad name to screw the new guy.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    DING DING DING!!! we have a winner!!

Bullseye.
    And it doesn't help to have folks like Ben Stein suggesting on Sunday Morning that Obama switch parties and run on the Republican ticket, claiming that Obama is a 'quick learner' and appears to be converted over to conservative ideas. Obama is a wolf in sheep's clothing now. Given the opportunity, he'd happily sign away our 2nd amendment rights. I truly fear that he'll be elected to a 2nd term, and then show his true colors, approving all laws that support a liberal agenda and encouraging the executive branch to interpret existing ones with an extreme liberal bias. He's got to go!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    There will be a push, but it will have a smattering of bipartisan support. Expect it to address the 'causes' of Tuscon - namely the fact that states are not required to contribute information to NICS on true mental cases that could pose a danger to themselves or others. Today it is voluntary, I think a push to make it mandatory is likely.

FWIW, Virginia tops the list of states who contribute mental health info, as a result of VT.

Something like this could settle the water. Obama gets a meager gun control measure passed that arguably might actually do some good. NICS is only as good as the info in it. And our side might get a breath of air for supporting a 'common sense' measure that makes other pushes go away.

But the devil is in the details. Does a little depression cause a report? How about a short spell of MAO drugs? How do we handle patient confidentiality?

Also, keep an eye on the left hand while the right is working this measure. We still have people in the executive branch willing to use rule modification to extend their grip on our right. See the ATF for proof.

I don't trust any of them right now.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    As usual the fools are going to blame our guns and magazines for their lack of effective security precautions. "Congress on the Corner" and not one security guard in sight?!?!?!
    It just doesn't get any dumber than that!!!!!
    At least they didn't ban single-shot derringers when President Lincoln was killed.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom