• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Edit: See my later post. I was at the range Sunday and it went great. :D

Hey all, my dad was telling me that he found a range located at New Germany in Garrett County and that "no one is ever there" but I can't seem to find any information on it.

Can someone point me to a website/forum link with details about the range? Or can someone answer these questions for me here...

1. What are the public hours of operation, particularly on Sunday when we plan to go up there (if we can)

2. What weapon types and ammo are allowed (rifle, handgun, shotgun, slugs, buckshot, etc)

3. Range fees? Registration?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=385

Map Page 2: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/maps/savageriverbrochure.pdf

Grantsville - Savage River State Forest, 349 Headquarters Lane, Grantsville, MD 21536.
    Phone: 301-895-5759
    Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25-100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (25-100 yds)
    Range Access: Public

I think the price is $5 a day, or $50 a year. It has been 2 years since I've shot there. I might be up there next weekend when we put the dock and boat in at deep creek. You do a self registration at the range by filling out a form, stuffing money in the envelope, and depositing it in the slot. You don't have to go to the headquarters to register, it is right at the range too.

Call to double check on the hours and the fees. I think the hours were sunrise to sunset.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'd like to help you, I live about 15 miles from it and have never shot there. I usually just go out back of the house and shoot. :innocent0

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Wouldn't Green Ridge be closer for you? Why drive that far to shoot?

Think about joing a club, with the price of fuel whats $75-$100 a year

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    If you are coming from the direction of I68 it's approx 6 mile past the New Germany Sate Park Headquarters on the left. Nice place to shoot and never crowded.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hey all, my dad was telling me that he found a range located at New Germany in Garrett County and that "no one is ever there" but I can't seem to find any information on it.

Can someone point me to a website/forum link with details about the range? Or can someone answer these questions for me here...

1. What are the public hours of operation, particularly on Sunday when we plan to go up there (if we can)

2. What weapon types and ammo are allowed (rifle, handgun, shotgun, slugs, buckshot, etc)

3. Range fees? Registration?

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

I really like the place. As I remember, permits are good for the calender year and thought I only paid $25 behind the ranger station at New Germany at the Forest Service office.

They allow all types of weapons and ammo except tracers. Think the sign says semi fire only. Paper targets only- no clay birds (that may be my fault). Tannerite is probably out too. :) They have metal frame hangers with rubber backings- just bring staples or tape and paper. Think the berm is just past 100 yards. It has nice covered benches to shoot from. Gets little use after deer season gets underway. Think it is open all sun up hours and every day. Range gets posted as closed for LE use probably once a month- seems like more. Don't make a special trip without calling the Forest Service first to make sure it is open.

I quit shooting at Green Ridge after they started making you shoot thru culvert pipe. A black powder guy set the inside of his on fire while I was there. I put it out with gatorade. Do they still make you shoot thru those rediculus tubes?

Ben

May 18, 2008
    Garrett County
    I shoot there about 10 times each year. Boatbiologist has it right. Annual fee is $25, daily fee is $5. You can shoot out to 100 yards or in close. I usually come onto New Germany Rd. from 495, and go 5 miles...look for "shooting range" sign. It's seldom busy and people are friendly. You do need to make it a point to talk to any other shooters about going down range to hang/recover targets, just to avoid misunderstandings. LEOs visit occasionally to see what's happening. The range does close periodically for LEO quals or for other events.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Wouldn't Green Ridge be closer for you? Why drive that far to shoot?

Think about joing a club, with the price of fuel whats $75-$100 a year

We used to have a vacation home in the Oakland area but we lost it recently due to the tough times. My dad is pretty familiar with the area but never used the range.

I just looked up Green Ridge, I will look into this further for future range trips. Thanks for that.

Not really into joining clubs at the moment, maybe that will change when I'm done with college. :)

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    I was there yesterday with my dad, we drug along my brother too who knows nothing about shooting. Now I've done a lot of homework but I haven't had much trigger time so this was probably the first major session of shooting where I left feeling more confident how to handle my dad's Glock and S&W revolver. :D

I also played with my Remington 870 a bit, mostly testing the effectiveness of the Knoxx Specopps stock. Works great but still might hurt your shoulder if you're shooting slugs all day. :o

Most of the other shooters there were outgoing, one had a AR-15 that he let me shoot. It was my first time firing one and it was simply amazing. :D I really want my own AR-15 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom