• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Got this about a month ago at the Annapolis show. If it looks familiar to some of you guys it's because it's made the rounds to several area shows, I just wasn't in a position to pull the trigger. I finally got the seller to give me a twofer price break, (pics of it's buddy and more of the story in a couple of weeks). :)

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That's why you were hovering over the sellers table when I met you at the HC show! Glad to hear you found a way to make it happen. Don't think I've ever bundled gun stuff before. Always a good strategy.
    If this is your first 28/30 you're in for a treat! Easily my favorite MN at the range. I probably have around 40 MNs, almost all Finns, and only shoot the 28/30s. Slick and accurate!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Now THAT is a gorgeous rifle!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

28/30's are widely considered the most accurate of the Finns-and generally prove it time and again. The 28/30's are the one model I've never seemed to be able to score with. I own only one. Because of it's popularity-I never win any at auction.

For my collection - I must find one of the early ones, as well as an updated M28 to M28/30 specs. The search never ends - but I'm DEFINITELY sure jindodog knows that!! ;)

Congrats again on a great rifle!

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Thanks for looking guys! I'm going to slug the bore and see how it shoots, I've got some Lapua D-46 .308 and D-166 .311 bullets on the re-loading bench. I'm covered pretty much anything it slugs out to be.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I thought the m39 was the best of the bunch.

The M39's are accurate-but the 28/30's always seem to do a little better. I have zero first hand knowledge as I've never shot a 28/30, but pretty much everyone I've seen post on the various national and international gun forums say the 28/30 is tops. I'm guessing this is why the Finns used many as the base for the 28/76 target rifle.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The M39's are accurate-but the 28/30's always seem to do a little better. I have zero first hand knowledge as I've never shot a 28/30, but pretty much everyone I've seen post on the various national and international gun forums say the 28/30 is tops. I'm guessing this is why the Finns used many as the base for the 28/76 target rifle.

It does make sense.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Do the 28/30s require special loadings? I thought I read somewhere the 28/30s need a .308 bullet, not the typical .301/.311 bullet the Russian Mosins use for the bore. Just curious.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Do the 28/30s require special loadings? I thought I read somewhere the 28/30s need a .308 bullet, not the typical .301/.311 bullet the Russian Mosins use for the bore. Just curious.
    Yes, the barrels on the Finn 28/30's were designed for their D-46, a .308 FMJ. Later the chambers were modified to shoot the captured Russian ammo, and the Finns called their version the D-166 bullet. The receiver then received the "D" stamp to show it had this modification. Most 28/30's received this mod and years of shooting the slightly larger rounds have opened up the bores somewhat. It's always advisable to slug the barrel to get the best accuracy from your reloads..The newer M39's were bored to accept the larger D-166 round.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The reason that most people don't get the best results from their M39s using milsurp ammo is that they use light ball instead of heavy ball the M39 does better with heavy ball.

Sirex