• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    So I definitely dove in head first with this reloading thing. After doing months of research, I thought this would be right down my alley. And so far, it is!

There is just sooo much set up involved.

Basically, I've got a Dillon 550B with pretty much all the bells and whistles and setting this thing up is a giant pain in the arse. Dillon isn't helping by way of their directions.

Just switched the primer slide assembly with the small powder bar w/ the small primer loader, and there seems to be some metal on metal action going on. Not sure what thats all about.

Does anyone know any good Dillon resources for getting this all set up? I still have a lot of reading to do and a video, but they aren't Dillon specific.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I don't have a Dillon but sometimes a little fine tuning and tweaking is nesecary to make things work. Sometimes a thousandth one way or the other makes all the difference.

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Having reloaded for years there is one thing I learned - take your time, set it up right, load slowly at first, double check, load again. Then as you get into a routine and your ability and confidence grows you can increase your speed.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Having reloaded for years there is one thing I learned - take your time, set it up right, load slowly at first, double check, load again. Then as you get into a routine and your ability and confidence grows you can increase your speed.

Kinda of like sex.

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I'm going to have to piece together a slew of forum posts, youtube videos and other resources to get my entire set up assembled properly...

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Call the guys at Dillon. They are the best. They can answer all of your questions, but first, read the F**King MANUAL from cover to cover. Then when you are done, read the F**King manual from cover to cover AGAIN. Then, watch the video. WHen you finished watching the video, watch the video again.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to be too careful when setting up your press. But before you call Dillon for advice, have the good sense to read the F**King manual from cover to cover. I did this when I got my Dillon XL650 and set up went smooth as silk, after I read the F**King manual 3-4 times and watched the video 3-4 times. That's why they provide the documentation. Nothing about safe reloading is intuitive.

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    Call the guys at Dillon. They are the best. They can answer all of your questions, but first, read the F**King MANUAL from cover to cover. Then when you are done, read the F**King manual from cover to cover AGAIN. Then, watch the video. WHen you finished watching the video, watch the video again.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to be too careful when setting up your press. But before you call Dillon for advice, have the good sense to read the F**King manual from cover to cover. I did this when I got my Dillon XL650 and set up went smooth as silk, after I read the F**King manual 3-4 times and watched the video 3-4 times. That's why they provide the documentation. Nothing about safe reloading is intuitive.

Maybe I don't have the right manual, but all mine really has it the schematical breakdown of the press itself, the auto powder and the auto primer system. No instructions on how to set it all up, though.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Definitely call the boys at Dillon. Google Fu might also help. You have no idea how many others may have had the same problem and posted on it. Before I found the KTOG site I was ready to give up on a worthless piece o crap but the site explained how to amatuer gunsmith my way to a decent custom carry piece.

fogman

Try Dillon's website, the manual is available as a download as well as the schematic for each of the subassemblies. Definitely read it three times before you read it again standing in front of the press. I put a Dillon 550 back together from a box of parts. I read, re-read and re-re-read the manual before I ordered everything that I was missing. Then I read the manual again going over the parts to the press. It took awhile, but I got it put together. Now I just need to find the right .45 load and I'll start.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    hmmm, my lee Pro 1000 was a piece of cake to set up. :)

Seriously though, hit the images on Google and look for pics of just what you're having trouble with. Over the years, I've discovered that it is extremely rare for me to be the first person to have a problem with something.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    BENOS has great info. CastBoolits by it's very nature has lots of people who are very experienced reloaders. Dillon people really set the standard for customer service from what I've heard. But if you're really a rookie at this and not especially mechanically inclined then it would be of real benefit to have someone with some reloading experience come and help you out in person. You could have the press all set up and get a quick tutorial on reloading in probably less then an hour.

CoopVA

Designated Scapegoat
    Aug 13, 2010
    Linden, Virginia
    Like was said, read the manual and then call Dillon if you have an issue, they are great to work with. I've got a 550 and I love it. I thought setup was pretty easy... Had no problems...

fogman

Is the problem in the powder charge bar or primer slide. An extremely small amount of lube UNDER the primer slide helps. Apply a small drop of gun oil to the frame under the slide and wipe it off with your finger. Also check for any roughness in the surface of the press frame where the primer slide rides against the frame. If it's the powder bar make sure the pieces in the bar are aligned and it's not installed upside down (flat thumbtack thing on the end is facing up). If the charge adjustment on the powder bar is overtightened it forces it out of alignment and could cause the rubbing. Do not lube the powder bar because there isn't any way of keeping it from contaminating the powder.

Last edited:

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    So I went ahead and took all of you great advice. Re-read the manuals, did some additional research and I'm proud to say, I'm about 75% complete in setting up my initial run of 9MM.

Turns out I had the two bolts a little too tight under the primer slide assembly, so the primer feed wouldn't come through the shellplate. Loosened it up a bit and it became smooth like butter.

Got my deprime die and powder charge/bell die all set up and working great. Only took me about 20 shells to get the belling right ;)

Next up is to set the powder throw, bullet seating die and recrimping die and I'm all set to go!

Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom