• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I can personally do both SMAW (stick) and MIG on thick steel like frame rails on cars or structural steel, I can't do TIG but if you need real welding done (those silly TIG guys can't deal with real fire blowing back in their face:lol2:) I can make a stick weld look like a TIG weld, however I do employ a specialized TIG welder to handle all the custom needs I can't do myself.

My own MIG work might not be the prettiest but it will hold, however my stick work is very good. I prefer to do thick steel 3/8"+ thick but I can go down to 24 gauge. My other welder does down to 1/8" thick aluminum TIG, so we can handle pretty much any welding requirements.

I can also do custom exhaust work on cars, aluminum welding (both TIG and MIG), and many other custom sheet metal and aluminum processes in my machine shop. If you need custom sheet metal fabrication or welding done let me know. I have specialized punch machines to punch networking dampers, tile patterns (both vinyl and APL), and many other jobs that require precise holes in many different materials that very few other shops this side of the Mississippi River can accomplish.

I also went to school to build racecars and have a garage with a lift next to my shop. I can perform most of your specialized needs rebuilding classic cars like repairing body panels and frames. I can do pretty much everything short of painting the car (I do have a painting booth, but I don't think I can quite paint a show quality job yet).

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    I've been interested in a golf ball mortar and would need someone to turn the steel or brass for the barrel & trunions on a lathe. Is that something you can do? & for how much- ball park?

disco dan

Car Nut
    Feb 23, 2010
    those silly TIG guys can't deal with real fire blowing back in their face

hey now dont lump us all in one group im MIG TIG and Smaw Certified

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Can you put Louvers in an aluminium hood?

I do actually have a punch for louvers, but it can only be done on flat metal. If you had an unpainted piece of metal I could knock louvers into then it would have to go off to a body man to be fitted and painted.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    those silly TIG guys can't deal with real fire blowing back in their face

hey now dont lump us all in one group im MIG TIG and Smaw Certified

+1

I'm certified with 3G stainless TIG up to 1/2", and am also pretty fair with stick and mig, but I do draw the line at overhead work due to those hot lava balls raining down on my head and neck!!

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    got mig, stick and dual shield flux cord cert. all unlimited thickness vert and overhead. not had a chance to get my tig certs. dont do much that needs tig cert. lots of stainless steel railings but certs arent required for them....yet

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I do actually have a punch for louvers, but it can only be done on flat metal. If you had an unpainted piece of metal I could knock louvers into then it would have to go off to a body man to be fitted and painted.

How wide would the louvered slots be? I have some aluminum cowls that would look more racy if they had several rows of louvers.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    How wide would the louvered slots be? I have some aluminum cowls that would look more racy if they had several rows of louvers.

I won't be able to get cowls in my machine as the sides stick up too far. The louvers are roughly 2.5", I don't have the punch nearby to hit it with the caliper for an exact measurement.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    +1

I'm certified with 3G stainless TIG up to 1/2", and am also pretty fair with stick and mig, but I do draw the line at overhead work due to those hot lava balls raining down on my head and neck!!

I have 3F and 4F with stick 60 and 70 rods, can't remember if I had a thickness limit. Overhead with 60-11 rods, that was not fun to get.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    This was done with a MIG yesterday. Bottom piece is 14 gauge galvanized, step piece is 12 gauge galvanized, and the stud is carbon steel. The bottom piece has to have a bridge weld across the two gaps (the gaps can't be filled) and the customer requested that I not remove the galvanized coating to weld it. Makes a royal mess with a MIG, but that's what it looks like after bead blasting it.

Attachments

• Welding.jpg
      Welding.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 281
    Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I won't be able to get cowls in my machine as the sides stick up too far. The louvers are roughly 2.5", I don't have the punch nearby to hit it with the caliper for an exact measurement.

My pieces can be laid out flat to punch and re-curved later

Anthony C

Nov 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    Sorry I forgot about this thread. I have a miata and the hood is aluminum. I want to polish it and add the louvers like this.

DSC_2444.jpg

I was planning on just riveting some louver panels on, but I would love to have them in the actual hood. I'm not opposed to cutting the inner skeleton out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom