• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I scored some private land to hunt this year. I have never used a tree stand and I would like to since this is private land.

I have a couple concerns.

So first some thoughts:

1) I am assuming the stand will get stolen, so i am price sensitive to the stand.

2) I am pretty sure I will not have this land next year and be back to trying to find land or public land.

3) I have normally used a ground blind (one season), just sitting in the brush and also have a premade one. Sitting in the blind is tough to shoot with my recurve. I have never been in a stand before.

So given the above I am trying to decide what type of stand to use. I have seen some cheapo ladder stands for $50-60 that comes with the cheapo harness. That will be uncomfortable (the harness) but I wont fall out at least. I also have found a climber for $30..no brand found on craigslist.

My concern is that the climber will make tons of noise but at least it wouldnt get stolen if I took it out with me. The ladder seems the easiest but probably would get stolen. I would set it up the day before the hunt and hope its there in the morning.

The other thing is to get a compound bow instead. I was thinking crossbow but I have no experience with them. This way if I hunt from a blind (natural or premade) I should be able to shoot out of it.

thoughts?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If you want to borrow a climber for a few weeks, I have one you are welcome to. Please don't leave it in the woods and don't let it get stolen lol.

I have a crossbow if you wanted to look at it/shoot it before making a purchase. Its like cheating but it puts meat in my freezer. There is no drawing on the buck...flick the safety off and you are good to go out to 60 yards. Mine shoots like a laser, shot a big bodied 8pt last year at 47yards, pass through both sides.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What is wrong with using a climbing tree stand that you take in and out of the woods with you? That is what I did on a farm I hunted in Washington County and another I hunted right down the road from me. The climber makes as much noise as you are clumsy. However, you need to know exactly what tree you are going to use it on before you head out in the dark of the morning to climb that tree. Also depends whether you are using gun/muzzleloader or bow/crossbow. I used my climber and killed this buck the first day of the season first thing in the morning. We saw him out in the field that night as we came home from dinner. The next morning, my dad drove me up to my stand spot in the truck. I was out earlier than everybody else. Next thing I know, the other guys must have pushed him out to me and I took the shot at about 80 yards. The following year I killed a 6 pointer just hunting from the ground right behind the house. One year, killed 3 does after 10+ of them ran right by where I was sitting in the brush. I've killed deer with a bow with my climbing stand, but they were all in the evening. Got in around 1:00 and killed them an hour or more afterward.

Attachments

• MdShooters10.jpg
      MdShooters10.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 207

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i vote climbers... yeah they can be noisy.. but from exp... deers will walk under me.. 30 min after i settle in..lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If you want to borrow a climber for a few weeks, I have one you are welcome to. Please don't leave it in the woods and don't let it get stolen lol.

I have a crossbow if you wanted to look at it/shoot it before making a purchase. Its like cheating but it puts meat in my freezer. There is no drawing on the buck...flick the safety off and you are good to go out to 60 yards. Mine shoots like a laser, shot a big bodied 8pt last year at 47yards, pass through both sides.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

However, I don't call it cheating. It is just a lot easier. Almost no movement in the stand, you don't need to practice very much to be able to make a 60 yard shot, and it is just simplistic.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

Yea thats why I am thinking about the xbow. I figured since I am new to hunting Ill take every advantage that I can get. I figured I also can sit in a ground blind and hunt easier then having to worry about drawing back.

What is wrong with using a climbing tree stand that you take in and out of the woods with you? That is what I did on a farm I hunted in Washington County and another I hunted right down the road from me. The climber makes as much noise as you are clumsy. However, you need to know exactly what tree you are going to use it on before you head out in the dark of the morning to climb that tree. Also depends whether you are using gun/muzzleloader or bow/crossbow. I used my climber and killed this buck the first day of the season first thing in the morning. We saw him out in the field that night as we came home from dinner. The next morning, my dad drove me up to my stand spot in the truck. I was out earlier than everybody else. Next thing I know, the other guys must have pushed him out to me and I took the shot at about 80 yards. The following year I killed a 6 pointer just hunting from the ground right behind the house. One year, killed 3 does after 10+ of them ran right by where I was sitting in the brush. I've killed deer with a bow with my climbing stand, but they were all in the evening. Got in around 1:00 and killed them an hour or more afterward.

Its not that I think there is something wrong with a climber, I have just never used a stand before and picture myself making as much noise as throwing silverware down a flight of steps, hence why I was thinking of something i could just setup prior to the hunt and climb into.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I took my new bow and crossbow with me to the archery range.

I took 3 shots with the xbow and put it away. <4" group at 40 yards shooting offhand.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I do 99% of my hunting from a climber. it's the best way to go, especially knowing you may not be back next year. Buy a good climber, learn how to use it safely. Get intimate with it to where you can operate it with or without light(I never use lights in the woods. Just never have). It's dark in the AM when you go up, and dark in the PM when you come down. I guess my point is, get to know your stand so well that you can operate it blind folded. That will give you the confidence you need to be and feel safe and enjoy your hunt, worry free. Remember, to hunt the wind you need to be mobile. Good luck!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yea thats why I am thinking about the xbow. I figured since I am new to hunting Ill take every advantage that I can get. I figured I also can sit in a ground blind and hunt easier then having to worry about drawing back.

Its not that I think there is something wrong with a climber, I have just never used a stand before and picture myself making as much noise as throwing silverware down a flight of steps, hence why I was thinking of something i could just setup prior to the hunt and climb into.

Just practice with it before you go out hunting. I had the luxury of being able to practice with the climber in my parents' backyard. They have plenty of trees to use it on. Not so much in my yard.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    I have had several climbers through the years. The best part of a climber is you can easily move it when needed as compare to a ladder stand or permanent mounted tree stand. Also nice when hunting property where the landowner doesn't wait permanent stands.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've spent a lot of time in ground blinds, ladder stands, permanent stands, and climbers. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Stands offer elevation, and elevation is desirable for deer hunting. But if you want elevation, you're either going to build it or transport it. In the case of portables, you can oftentimes secure it sufficiently enough to keep an honest man honest for short periods of time via cable locks and such. But the only way to be assured of keeping it is to haul it in and out, and that usually means hauling it on your back. Nothing is free.

Practice is absolutely key with a climber. And that doesn't mean you practice when you hunt. As mentioned, you need to take these up and down properly sized and properly shaped and preselected trees in the daylight enough times to be confident of doing it in the dark. You're climbing and descending a tree with your harness secured as well, so you're working 2 sections of stand plus a harness. It takes some practice, and the more practiced you are, the quieter you tend to be also. But quiet aside, your primary goal is to be safe and secure in any stand. The fall isn't bad, but that sudden stop is a real bitch!

Give some thought to what would work best for you in most instances and most of the time. For me, that's a climber. But advantages of stands aside, don't let anybody tell you that you can't kill deer from a good and well thought out ground blind.

I've never hunted with a crossbow. I do perhaps see one in my future. I have hunted extensively with recurves and compounds and shotguns and muzzleloaders and handguns and rifles over many years. I don't have or take the time to practice with bows like I used to and don't hunt with them anymore for that reason. But equipment aside, proficiency with whatever equipment you choose and time spent in the woods matters most. Don't get hung up on equipment to the extent that you're more focused on equipment than you are on practicing and scouting and hunting.

Good luck with your choices and your season!

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    I would test that 30 dollar climber out before you buy it alot of older ones don't grip the tree very well make sure you tie a rope to both pieces its a long way down when the bottom drops I like the ladder stands myself and I buy the bike locks so far none have walked away

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I will get a climber but next season. I found a pretty good deal on sportsman guide for 20' climbing sticks and a hang on stand for $70 so i got that. It should do me well for this season. I also ordered an intro level crossbow (jaguar 175lb).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I will get a climber but next season. I found a pretty good deal on sportsman guide for 20' climbing sticks and a hang on stand for $70 so i got that. It should do me well for this season. I also ordered an intro level crossbow (jaguar 175lb).

you can always chain and lock it up...then take the climbing sticks off...then when you come back just bring the climbing sticks...after about 20-30 minutes the deer dont even know you are up there...if they really want it they will get it...but at least dont make it easy for them... Id get a HSS/hunter safety system. the wider straps are better than cheapo straps/harness that could cut off circulation if you happen to slip/fall

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom