• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have a H&R revolver, .22 cal, 9 shot. It belonged to an uncle of mine and was given to me when he passed.

I really like the gun, it's pretty darned accurate too. The problem is that it was misfiring on some, not all rounds, on the firing line. The primers would dent on all cases but only some deep enough to fire. It is not the ammo, I did that route already. A friend looked at it, said my hammer spring mechanism is bad, needs replacment.

-----------------------

I also have a semi-auto .25 Berretta, which jams on every round, and I mean every. Could be a bad ramp or magazine?

Any idea on a repair place that would do me good on this? I am in Owings Mills/Reisterstown.

-----------------

Thanks for any help, I'd love to get these guns working properly.

Goosehunter

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Regarding the H&R's bad hammer spring: It is possible that old, dried up oil and/or fouling may be slowing down the hammer or limiting it's travel, giving the appearance of a bad spring or short firing pin. .22 rimfires are VERY dirty to shoot and it is common for a small "plug" of waxy carbon fouling to build up in the opening that the hammer nose/firing pin goes through in the frame. Once this material builds up, it compresses under the hammer and stops it from fully reaching the cartridge rim. Before paying to get this fixed and/or buying parts, I'd suggest digging around in there with a toothpick first and seeing what surfaces.

The Beretta's problem could be any number of things, depending on exactly how it jams. More info would be helpful in diagnosis. The magazine is a good bet, and it's possible that the feed lips are bent, either outward from wear and allowing the bullet nose too far up, or bent inward from being dropped and allowing the cartridge to hit the feed ramp too low. Dirt and/or dried up oil may also limit slide travel and cause it to short-stroke and not properly pick up the cartridge. A second magazine may rule out the possibility of a mag problem, and extra mags are always a good idea anyway.

I don't know anyone up your way that might be able to work on them for you, though there is almost surely someone nearby.

If you're handy with tools, and know the H&R's model number, you may be able to buy and install a new spring yourself:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=101

If you can provide more info about the Beretta, you may get enough help right here to fix it yourself.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.:beer:

The friend that looked at the .22 did some dis-assembling and the end result was it was totally non operational when he re-assembled it, I do need a gunsmith for sure to fix it now.

The .25 Beretta jams on feeding the next round into the chamber, drives me crazy.

I need a gunsmith or someone who knows how to fix these items

leads or suggestions welcome

Thanks, Goosehunter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom