• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have to agree I personally like Winchester 333/555 bulk but some people hate it but its all I use in my Ruger 22/45 and my 10/22 eats whatever i put in it from some old Russian 22s my uncle gave me to try out to thunderbolts to CCI stingers

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have to agree I personally like Winchester 333/555 bulk but some people hate it but its all I use in my Ruger 22/45 and my 10/22 eats whatever i put in it from some old Russian 22s my uncle gave me to try out to thunderbolts to CCI stingers

You found something that will take Thunderbolts other than a single shot or bolt action???

Kudos to you, my friend!

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    You found something that will take Thunderbolts other than a single shot or bolt action???

Kudos to you, my friend!

Yeah believe it or not that 10/22 eats them and out of aftermarket cheap eagle hi-caps also. But after this box is done only getting the Winchester cause they are the same price at walmart :D and the Winchesters are cleaner.

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    I mostly use remington subsonic, to keep it quiet. It depends on what you are using it for, and what your gun likes. Accuracy will differ too. Like Lostfantum said, get a few different kinds and try them out.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I use Federal Bulk for my MKIII, I have an Ultimate ClipLoader for it and I have to adjust the detent for Winchester 555. BOTH shoot well. I didn't have much luck with the Remmy Golden Bullets. They would feed through the loader ok, but they grouped wide compared to the Fed/Win. My 10/22 loves the Win555, I swear you wouldn't believe my 50 yard groups with a stock gun and "crap" ammo.

I've also used Fed Lightning in a P22 and my MKIII. It's cheaper than the Bulk but isn't copper plated and only comes in 50 round packs. Also feeds in an Ultimate ClipLoader.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Fiocchi Copper-Plated .22 lr. Consistent and hot. Will cycle any semi-auto and no "soft" rounds. Remington stuff (Thunderbolt) I have quality issues with. I shoot Fiocchi.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I bought a Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol this weekend. Does anyone have a recommendation for which .22 ammo I should get for it?

Thanks!

I have a Buck Mark (5.5" heavy bull barral "camper" model)and have put a few thousand through it. I have found that for cheap ammo, the Walmart Federal 550 box is by far the best grouping and consistant shooter for it. It tends to not want to fire the Reminton Golden bullet 550 walmart pack or the Winchester 555 wlamart bulk pack very well; those two brands seem to give more duds and stovepipes for me.

As for somewhat better ammo, the Federal AutoMatch is really good with mine. The groups are much tighter.

Then on some of the more expensive match and target ammo, all of the ones I've tried seem to group very tight and function flawlessly. Ely or Wolf target, etc.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience with this ammo for the buck mark. I will give them a try to see if it works out. I appreciate your comments about the other ammo too. I want to keep my spending on ammo down so i can afford to buy another rifle and shotgun!!!

Thanks for the info,
    TBall

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    I have recently had several fail to fire rounds using Remington thunderbolt. The rounds were obviously hit as each one had a mark on the primer, but they simply did not go off.

I have not had those issues with any of the CCI or Federal rounds, so I will likely stay away from Remington from now on.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I bought a case (5000 rounds) of Eley primed Aguila SV last week for $230. It works great in my Model 41 and Marvel conversion. If it works in your gun and you're a member of a CMP affliated gun club, it will be tough to do better.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I bought a case (5000 rounds) of Eley primed Aguila SV last week for $230. It works great in my Model 41 and Marvel conversion. If it works in your gun and you're a member of a CMP affliated gun club, it will be tough to do better.

That's 4.6 cents a round!

Guess i am spoiled by walmart pricing :D

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks, I can't, but I guess I have to wait the 7+ days to get my new .22 pistol. I appreciate all of the advice on the ammo. I decided to get a .22 to get some affordable practice in at the range. I'm a new pistol shooter and the 9mm ammo was getting expensive. I won't feel as bad practicing with the cheaper .22 ammo.

The website I found on MD Shooters has been really helpful: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm. The "Wheel of Misfortune" diagram that helps you figure out if you are hitting on a certain part of the target what you are doing wrong. Lots of great tips for improving grip, sighting, trigger finger placement, etc.

I'm greatful for all of the advice and information from MD Shooters. I just started shooting rifle last fall and pistol last month. I love the sport and have really enjoyed meeting all the folks at the AGC range.

Thanks again MD Shooters for all of the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom