• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So I'm sitting here fondling my Heritage Rough Rider staring at the USFA website. My head full of dreams, my pockets full of lint. I put off buying a SA cowboy revolver for as long as I could, but now I have been bitten by the bug I knew was coming!

I definitely want a .45LC as I'm getting into reloading the next 2-3 months. The Blackhawk seems cool but I also would really like a Colt SAA clone. But I don't want a Uberti that isn't going to stand up to constant shooting. If I get the SAA clone I definitely don't want a Vaquero because I have held one and I'm not fond of the way the transfer bar kind of ruins the iconic clicking. And then we have the Cimarron conversions and the Schofields! Should I just spring for the USFA and be happy? I'd probably be afraid to shoot something that nice!

How do I pick one and how do I actually keep my paychecks going to something useful and not more cowboy guns?:sad20:

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Let me point you toward CAS City Forum Hall & CAS-L. Go look in the sub-forum Gun Reviews, see what you can find and ask questions. Some of those guys have forgotten more about single action revolvers than most of us will ever know. Check the other sub-fora that look interesting.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Enzo - I agree about the Rugers not being quite right. Nevertheless, they are what most of the CAS shooters use.

USFA's are very nice, but costly. I don't know anyone who uses them.

Think about the Ubertis. But I don't want a Uberti that isn't going to stand up to constant shooting. They seem to be made "well enough" How much constant shooting will you be doing?

I totally agree about the variants. I like the authenticity of the Open Top design, but I do worry about the structure of those lasting.

Check out gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com. There are some bargains to be had in the used guns.
    Get on Chuckaroo's Cowboy This Week mailing list from Damascus(email to WildlifeRangers@aol.com asking to be added). There is a pair of Cimarron Model P's (.45C, 5.5") for $650; a a great price. Two Beretta Stampedes for $860.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom