• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    hi everyone i need info on a rifle that my brother in law owns, i have a rem nylon 66 where the bullets load through the stock. his is a 76 i think anyway it is essentially the same gun except that his takes a ten round clip. when he recieved the gun the clip was missing but he recently picked one up at the darlington gun show. he said that he tried to fire it but that it doesnt work. the will not chamber the round into the breach. i suggested to him that maybe its the clip, because my 66 is extremely reliable and i wouldnt see why his wouldnt be. he said that it kept picking the round up out of the clip but on the way to the breech it would hit the front wall of the clip and jam right there. has anyone seen this happening before and know how to fix it or does it need to go to a gunsmith. if so please recommend an inexpensive gunsmith.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    most likely the clip. have him spread the front lips of the mag slightly so the tip of the bullet sits higher in the mag.
    hope this helps.:)

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    it was still on the first page man, no need to bump it lmao...at that it had only been up 5 minutes before you bumped it...calm down, man lol

as far as the issue goes, tell him to check the feed lips on the mag, check the chamber, and make sure everything is correct with the bolt assembly. also make sure that the mag is inserted fully into the rifle.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The Model 76 is a lever-action. Your brother in law's rifle is a Model 77. It uses a magazine, not a clip. Has he broken it down and cleaned it? I also think the magazine is most likely the problem. I'd get at least one other magazine to try, and also try replacing the action springs.

Remington Nylon Rifles

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    sorry didnt mean to be so paniced, thanks to all who offered suggestions... GNLaFrance what is the difference between a magazine and a clip. in the article you posted the link to, it says that the 77 takes a clip magazine

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    sorry didnt mean to be so paniced, thanks to all who offered suggestions... GNLaFrance what is the difference between a magazine and a clip. in the article you posted the link to, it says that the 77 takes a clip magazine

Just because the guy who called it a "clip magazine" is a gun writer doesn't mean he knows diddly squat about correct gun terminology. Actually, that may be unfair - it might be that his editor inserted "clip" in front of "magazine" because the editor doesn't know diddly squat.

Attachments

• Magazine-vs-Clip-1.jpg
      Magazine-vs-Clip-1.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 143
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    so basically a magazine encases the round and a clip does not???

Correct. Basically, a magazine ("box magazine") is a box with a platform that the rounds sit on ("lifter" or "elevator") and that is pushed up by a spring. A clip ("stripper clip") is a cleverly-shaped piece of steel that holds cartridges by their rims and lines them up so they can be pushed down into the firearm's fixed internal magazine. Some clips get inserted into the internal magazine with the cartridges, e.g. the M1 rifle's "en bloc" clip (en bloc is a French term meaning "in a group").

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    so basically a magazine encases the round and a clip does not???

Not quite.

A magazine by general definition is a place where goods or supplies are stored. As applied to firearms, a magazine is where the cartridges are kept immediatly before they are fed into the chamber. A clip is a means to keep the cartridges together before they are loaded into the magazine or cylinder of the firearm.

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    thanks to all for the help. the little guide for the magazine was bent ever so slightly out of whack and with some minor adjustment it was working like a charm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom