• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Alright guys.

If everyone remembers the Gun Control Bill Maryland just passed. I actually took a break from collecting military surplus to do an 80% receiver. Since I was working on a time crunch to get it done before Oct 1st (just so I could say it was milled before the law took effect, with dated pictures as proof).

Anyways I need to put some identifiable marks on my receiver. Since I center my collection around Springfield Armory firearms (and I do NOT mean the modern commercial company but the U.S. Armory!)

Does anyone know the military designation for the AR15 rifle. I wanted to do something similar to how M1 Garands, 1903s, 1917s were labeled on the reciever

US Rifle Model _______
    Serial Number _______

I wanted to put on the side
    Springfield Armory
    US Rifle Model AR15 (or whatever the designation is)

Then I was going to engrave some WWI or WWII ordnance bombs and "screamin eagles" scattered throughout some parts of the receiver.

One of my friends collects German firearms (one of the most extensive I have ever seen) and he stamped some JP Sauer waffenampts on his and it looked GREAT.

Trying to do a twist to my receiver other than the typical logos, "Molon Labe" etc.

Any recommendations, I know it's a tad strange but I'm not an AR guy I just did it because the state told me they didn't want me to!

Jul 1, 2012
    Wasn't it simply the M-16?
    Colt had the SP-1 version, some are now even C$R I think.
    Of course (U.S.) Springfield Armory never made any but I see where you're going with this ;-)
    Parkerized finish?
    I don't think I'd put Waffenamt's on it though...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    M16s have been made by various makers, including Colt, Hydramatic, FN and several foreign makers as well, but certainly not by SA.

Here is a thread illustrating various roll marks Might help you with ideas. You'll see none were marked "US Rifle cal. 5.56mm M16." That style ended with the M14.

WARNING: This is your one and only 80% lower. Think very, very carefully before you put permanent markings on it. What seems clever or cool to you now might irritate hell out of you in 5 years. It might even embarrass you. Bad tattoos can be removed, but you will be stuck with your roll mark forever.

Anyway, here's the link. Warning: it's Arfcom.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=23&t=406979

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I don't plan on putting waffenampts on mine.

This will probably be my one and only "modern weapon." So from a military surplus collector just thought I'd put a "twist" on customizing the receiver. When i called the ATF about it, they recommended something if it's stolen I can describe that seperates it from other receivers. They said it doesn't have to be anything identifiable to my name just an image, number or even design I can write in a police report so it's easier to track down.

I thought about parkerizing but since the upper will be anodized just probably wouldn't look right.

I don't think I'll regret engraving that designation. The point is to set it at the end of my rifle rack next to my several 1903s, 1917s and my M1 Garand to show some consistency with the rifle designations that unique to my receiver.

I'll have to think carefully of the font, lettering and such.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    The beginning and end dates/years for the USA in WWI and WWII.

1917-1918

1941-1945

1917191819411945 might be a bit long. :)

I like that!!! But I may do 7768 instead, years Springfield armory was operational. 1777-1968 but thanks for the awesome idea I had no idea what to do for a s/n.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom