• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am having a bit of confusion determining the age of my newly acquired J. Stevens Model 5100 shotgun.

From what I have been able to find out "on the google", is that the Stevens 5100 was manufactured from 1931-1941 as a replacement for the 5000. In 1941, the name was changed to the Stevens Model 311 and was manufactured from 1941 to 1968 under this name. Determining the year was done by looking in the gun when it is open, and there is a letter in a circle between the hinge pin and the firing pin.

Mine is the letter A. The websites say that the letter A denotes a 1949 manufacture date. How can this be if it it a 5100 and not a 311. I am hoping the A still determines the year, and this is one of the earliest Model 5100s....

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    i did a little googlin and didn't really come up with anything either.

it seems that the 5000, 5100, and 311 are really the same gun, and they've been made by several different manufactuers over the decades.

The model 311 started as the Springfield 5000 around 1920 with model designation changing to 5100 in 1931. Around 1940 it became the Stevens model 311. It was discontinued in 1989.

If it was manufactured between 1949 and 1968 there should be a small circle with a number and letter stamped between the trigger and the hinge pin. The letter reflects the year of manufacture.

A to N = 1949 - 1961
    P = 1963
    R to V = 1964 - 1968
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guns-Firearms-Projectile-1501/J-Stevens-Model-5100.htm

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Just a guess, but.... They may have had a glut of receivers on hand and not many of these guns were assembled during WWII. Startup after the war was a little slow to get going with some guns. Late 40's guns were probably assembled with older manufactured receivers and were thus stamped. The "A" was an assembly date.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Did a little more research, and found it was NOT a 1949. It has the name "Springfield" on it, and this designation was dropped in 1948. As it is a 5100, manufactured from 1931-1941, it seems to match up with models from the late 1930's. Pieceing together what I have gotten from a number of internet sources, I am pretty sure it is of 1938-1939 vintage. Seems to be on the higher end of the scale, as most of the 5100s came with tenite (plastic) furniture, and this is a deep, rich American Walnut. The case coloring appears to be original and full of color, also leading me to believe it falls into the latter half of the 5100 existance.

What had led me to believe it was a '49, was my misinterpretation of the stamped codes near the hinge pin.

It just makes me more pleased that it's older and still shoots like a new gun.

WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    august1410: Although this thread's a bit old I just happened onto it while looking for info on a similar 5100 Stevens Springfield that I recently acquired and was wondering if you've uncovered any additional information.

Mine, a 20 ga., sounds almost identical to yours - a very nice checkered walnut stock and forend, double beads (white plastic or ivory?), good bluing and case coloring, marked with 5100 on right side and Springfield above the J Stevens Arms on the left, no 311 marking anywhere, and a very tight action and little evidence of real use based on wear surfaces and hinge. It does not have the engraved setter that some seem to, although that might be limted to 12's?

The 'date code' on mine is an A and B, both within oblong circles. Like you I'm inclined to think the other marking suggest pre-war manufacture and that the later A-Q (or whatever) date stamps simply don't apply to the earlier 5100's.

What led you to the 1938-39 manufacture date for yours? Any other info you've gathered would be appreciated.

Thanks. -WSJ

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Process of elimination.....figured out when the 5100s were manufactured with that model designation.....looked at what was engraved on the receiver at different years and what wasn't....and, quite honestly, guessed.

I am not definite, but I am pretty confident.

If you are in the Baltimore area, reach out to me and we can compare our shotguns.

I love my 5100 and consider it one of the best purchases I have made.

WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thanks. The fellow I got mine from told me he thought it was a pre-war gun but wasn't certain. And as we've both discovered there's little definitive about these old guns' date of manufacture or model designations. I'd sort of arrived at the same conclusions that you did on the decade but not much else

As for getting together to compare shotguns, I'd love to but actually I'm in upstate NY, not Maryland. I guess I'm poaching on a Maryland shooters' forum but hey, you had good information, which is why I joined today. I suppose I should do my profile . . . .

What gauge is yours? Does it have the setter engraving? There was a very nice looking 12 on GunBroker.com that sold back in October that I spotted today via google that had 6 or 8 good photos still available. It did have the setter engraving, plus the original butt pad (which I think you can still buy from Numrich), although the stock was just nice straight grained walnut with little figure.

Anyway, thanks for the info and please post anything additional you run across. -WSJ

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Mine is a 12 Gauge....if your has the setter engraving, yours is definitely from the early to mid 1930's....that's the common thread with all the mid '30s guns....mine is without the setter, that's why I aged mine a little later.

Post some pics...would love to see her!

WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Good observation about the setter on earlier guns only. I'll post some pictures tonight or tomorrow. It's got an add-on recoil pad that's seen better days, probably Pachmayr, that I'll replace. The finish on the stock is chipped in a few spots (looks like cabinet wear to me) but the wood's in nice shape underneath. And although the absolute value might suffer I plan to remove the finish and re-do it with a simple oil finish that will please me and I think really bring out the figure in the stock. I didn't buy it to resell anyway! -WSJ

locknloadnow

Aug 1, 2010
    old thread but worth reviving

if your gun is a Stevens 5100, it will be stamped as such on the right side of the receiver in small numerals

the left side of my 16 gauge Stevens has a dog with "STEVENS" on it in large letters

the earlier ones said "SPRINGFIELD" and also said Stevens in small print

I don't think the 5100 is a variation of the 311, it was a precursor to the 311

when 3100 was ended, 311 took over- but it's basically the same identical gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom