• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I am looking for a part for my original lee auto prime. I know it's been discontinued. I am in need of the link (looks to be cast). I have 3+ of every part except the link. Trying to make a second complete primer tool. If anyone has an extra I have an lots to trade or can buy it. Or if there is an online source I would be happy to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you look on fleabay, you will find some older style tools up for sale usually for about $25.00. I recently picked one up for spare parts, as I have lost a connecting link or two over the years and I much prefer the old Auto Prime over the newer designs.

I may have to add that to my list of parts to be made and resold... it just keeps growing. Eventually I'll have enough to open a storefront.. :lol2:

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    If you look on fleabay, you will find some older style tools up for sale usually for about $25.00. I recently picked one up for spare parts, as I have lost a connecting link or two over the years and I much prefer the old Auto Prime over the newer designs. I may have to add that to my list of parts to be made and resold... it just keeps growing. Eventually I'll have enough to open a storefront.. :lol2:
    Yeah but I have the parts to make 3 of them except only one of the links.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Have you contacted Lee? Whenever I need a part, they replace it free of charge and no questions asked. Even if something was clearly my fault they've taken care of me (like a broken depriming pin because of a stuck case). Pretty much a lifetime warrantee in my book.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Have you contacted Lee? Whenever I need a part, they replace it free of charge and no questions asked. Even if something was clearly my fault they've taken care of me (like a broken depriming pin because of a stuck case). Pretty much a lifetime warrantee in my book.

I'll give it a try. On their site it says that the parts for the old one are not available. I can send in the old for half off the new.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    The auto primer has been replaced by the XR and the XR is absolute junk. Took a bad design and further complicated it making it more unreliable in the interest of safety. I have a bunch of the auto primers but no handles and the new XR handles are < 1 mm to short throw distance for the old system. Leaves primers sticking up a little. not good. I wrote Lee an email and they wrote back.. in essence they said us old timers were the problematic crowd cutting to the new XR and just get used to it. If someone made a replacement handle that was not cast pot metal that was good for the old AUTO PRIMER... they could make a killing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On their site it says that the parts for the old one are not available. I can send in the old for half off the new.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

They will not support the old ones, as they are "unsafe".

As I said, 21st Century makes a VERY nice handle unit for the Lee trays.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes, it is... I may have a spare on the way, kinda took a chance, we'll see how it works and if it does, I'll let you know, as I'll have an extra one.. ;)

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    The auto primer has been replaced by the XR and the XR is absolute junk. Took a bad design and further complicated it making it more unreliable in the interest of safety. I have a bunch of the auto primers but no handles and the new XR handles are < 1 mm to short throw distance for the old system. Leaves primers sticking up a little. not good. I wrote Lee an email and they wrote back.. in essence they said us old timers were the problematic crowd cutting to the new XR and just get used to it. If someone made a replacement handle that was not cast pot metal that was good for the old AUTO PRIMER... they could make a killing.

So does that mean you have the piece in seeking?

Which piece are you missing?

image-1477996637.jpg

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    Platekiller,

I PM'ed you my email. Send me an email with your address and I will get one of these off to you. Sending my address thru PM too, I need the handle on the left in your first pic post. problem solved for both of us.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is not "positive control" of the primers.

Here is what Lee said when they brought out the new version:

The new Auto-Prime XR features a patent pending elevator pin. This pin safely separates a single primer from the others and presents it for priming reducing the likelihood of a chain fire.

If your tool has a square tray, it is the new version. The old one had round trays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom