• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    I just ordered the Ruger American Predator 308 and the Vortex Optics Diamondback HP Rifle Scope 4-16x 42mm scope.

There are so many ring mount options, I have no idea what to order. Do I just get any rings that work with a Pic rail, what scope rings do I need?

Thanks!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I just ordered the Ruger American Predator 308 and the Vortex Optics Diamondback HP Rifle Scope 4-16x 42mm scope.

There are so many ring mount options, I have no idea what to order. Do I just get any rings that work with a Pic rail, what scope rings do I need?

Thanks!
    What outrider said. The objective lens is generally what you need to plan ring height around.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I would get decent quality rings (e.g. Warne). Don't have to be top dollar for that scope, but avoid Walmart quality rings.

I've got that same scope mounted on a Warne 1 piece QD mount, so I can move it around to different AR braced pistols during load development testing (they have their own red dots otherwise).

I would pass on the leveling kit and spend the money on an inch-lb torque screwdriver instead. But that's just me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would get decent quality rings (e.g. Warne). Don't have to be top dollar for that scope, but avoid Walmart quality rings.

I've got that same scope mounted on a Warne 1 piece QD mount, so I can move it around to different AR braced pistols during load development testing (they have their own red dots otherwise).

I would pass on the leveling kit and spend the money on an inch-lb torque screwdriver instead. But that's just me.
    Agreed.
    Get a Wheeler Fat Wrench for proper torquing.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If availability, weight, and price aren’t your driving factors, avoid aluminum rings if possible. You’ll thank me in 5-10 years when suddenly your scope isn’t holding zero or your crosshairs are rotated 45 degrees off square because your rings have slipped for zero reason whatsoever. Just my $0.02 from both past and fairly recent experience.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    What outrider said. The objective lens is generally what you need to plan ring height around.

I looked at that but I couldn't find the base height for the rifle to use the calculator. I posted this same thing on reddit and some people are saying they used low mounts with a scope that has a 50mm objective. They didn't say what rifle it was mounted to. If the Low, Medium, and High are industry standards, I might order a set of these cheap CLIVE rings to see if it works. Depending on how they work, my plan is to order Warne rings.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    If availability, weight, and price aren’t your driving factors, avoid aluminum rings if possible. You’ll thank me in 5-10 years when suddenly your scope isn’t holding zero or your crosshairs are rotated 45 degrees off square because your rings have slipped for zero reason whatsoever. Just my $0.02 from both past and fairly recent experience.

Thanks for the tip. Nothing knowing, I was looking at what the differences were in the aluminum that were used in most of the rings I saw.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've destroyed 2 sets of Micky Mouse scope rings on my ML. They were steel, but still failed.
    OP, don't scrimp on rings. You don't need to spend $300 on rings, but make sure what you are buying looks strong. Heavy duty.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    One more thing, don’t get the rings with only 2 screws per ring (one per side), get rings with at least 4 screws (2 per side). The more holding strength the better.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Probably just the medium Clive rings would tell you what you want to know. If it looks right/no clearance issues, good to go with that height, if at least 1/8" more clearance than the minimum you are comfortable with, could go low, and if it has clearance issues, will need high mounts.

I've got a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 and the same scope (not mounted to that rifle) and I can tell you, by lining it up and eye-balling it, that I don’t think low rings will work. Even if the objective had clearance with the barrel, the issue is that that scope begins belling out towards the maximum objective diameter before the end of the picatinny rail when set for a reasonable eye relief/cheek position. With low rings it looks like it will hit the rail unless you move it way forward. And your rail is probably longer than mine.

Anyway, just be aware that you need to check clearance not just with the barrel, but also the front of the rail.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Thanks for the tip. Nothing knowing, I was looking at what the differences were in the aluminum that were used in most of the rings I saw.
    I’ll explain why I dislike and don’t trust aluminum rings anymore:

Tried to re-scope both a shotgun and a rifle that were setup using aluminum rings some 30 years prior. The old ring screws backed out way too easy, with only light finger pressure. They wouldn’t tighten even a little bit, but backed out with the greatest of ease. I believe wholeheartedly this was some fundamental defect in the long-term properties of aluminum, somehow. But IANAM (I am not a metallurgist).

For anything with moderate to high recoil, no more aluminum rings for me any longer. Only steel rings from now on if I can help it.

Edit: I had written a horribly long, rambling post and just cut it down to this. Way too much information.

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Should I get a scope leveling kit?
    I can vouch for this one and it includes spirit levels. The thing with mounting 2 rings is that they can be very slightly out of line that can affect the scope tube. The included honing rod fixes this. I was amazed to see how far out of line a set of mine were once upon a time. It also includes an inch pound torque screw driver that is VERY handy for screws going into aluminum. Good luck.

The link won't post. Here is the description:

Wheeler Scope Mounting Combo Kit with FAT Wrench, Alignment and Lapping Bars, and Storage Case for 1 Inch and 30mm Rings​

BTW, get some thin machinist brass shims. The kit comes with some tape ones but the brass ones work better. With some guns, you have to shim the scope to stay within the scope adjustment range.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I can vouch for this one and it includes spirit levels. The thing with mounting 2 rings is that they can be very slightly out of line that can affect the scope tube. The included honing rod fixes this. I was amazed to see how far out of line a set of mine were once upon a time. It also includes an inch pound torque screw driver that is VERY handy for screws going into aluminum. Good luck.

Amazon product ASIN B002PQKGSI
    This is what I use as well. Worth every penny.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You don’t need rings to test fit a scope. Test fit the scope using blocks of known thickness. Measure the gap between the objective and barrel. Block thickness - gap + desired clearance = minimum ring height measured to bottom ring. Many manufacturers give ring height to centerline of scope so you may need to add half the tube diameter to your calculation.

Talley, TPS, Burris, etc. etc. I’d get true picatinny rings if you have a picatinny rail as Weaver will be loose in the slot though they still typically work fine. I recommend TPS for selection of heights and quality vs cost.

In this day and age if you need to shim or lap there’s something wrong with the rifle, base, rings or the combination there of.

I looked at that but I couldn't find the base height for the rifle to use the calculator. I posted this same thing on reddit and some people are saying they used low mounts with a scope that has a 50mm objective. They didn't say what rifle it was mounted to. If the Low, Medium, and High are industry standards, I might order a set of these cheap CLIVE rings to see if it works. Depending on how they work, my plan is to order Warne rings.
    I have the exact scope on two rifles. Medium height rings are what you want.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Depends on the rifle. I managed to put a 50mm scope on an x-bolt with low rings. The receiver tapers to provide sufficient clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom