• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, I'm noticing that neither Atlantic nor Engage seems to have the Beretta Neos in stock right now, and those are the two shops close to where I live... I do work in NoVA, though. Will the shops there sell me one (which I would have to register in MD immediately, I suppose), or am I just SOL? I saw some sort of restriction about selling long arms to out of state residents, but didn't notice anything about handguns.

EDIT: now that I'm looking again, it appears that federal law says you can't buy a handgun from an out of state seller if they're not licensed to sell in your own state. Doh. Learn something new every day.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I’m on the fence about that, I just order a book (Abc's Of Reloading)so I could read up on reloading . It might be in my future but I need to know more about that hobby before I jump in .
    There really isn't that much to know, and especially not for handgun reloading. My approach: set up the dies according to the instructions, follow the manual(s) for load data, and pay attention to what I'm doing and double and triple check everything to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

If you wanted to take it to the level my Dad did, he cast his own bullets so he could shoot big guns like .357, .44 Mag and .45 LC for about the same cost as shooting a .22 - maybe even less. I don't cast bullets, but I'm still down around $5-$6 a box - even for .44 Mag, which as we all know costs A LOT more than that when you buy factory ammo, even if you buy cheap factory ammo.

I don't mean to hijack the thread - by all means, pick up a .22 pistol if that's what you want. My suggestions on that would be along the lines of a Ruger Mk III, a Browning Buckmark, a Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito, although the only one of those I have any experience with at all is the Ruger. If you wanted a revolver, a Ruger Single Six would be tough to beat IMO.

Steafan

Nov 21, 2008
    There really isn't that much to know, and especially not for handgun reloading. My approach: set up the dies according to the instructions, follow the manual(s) for load data, and pay attention to what I'm doing and double and triple check everything to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

If you wanted to take it to the level my Dad did, he cast his own bullets so he could shoot big guns like .357, .44 Mag and .45 LC for about the same cost as shooting a .22 - maybe even less. I don't cast bullets, but I'm still down around $5-$6 a box - even for .44 Mag, which as we all know costs A LOT more than that when you buy factory ammo, even if you buy cheap factory ammo.

I don't mean to hijack the thread - by all means, pick up a .22 pistol if that's what you want. My suggestions on that would be along the lines of a Ruger Mk III, a Browning Buckmark, a Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito, although the only one of those I have any experience with at all is the Ruger. If you wanted a revolver, a Ruger Single Six would be tough to beat IMO.

22/45 Mark III Hunter is on the top of my list right now . I just need to shoot one and see how it feels in my hand

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    22/45 Mark III Hunter is on the top of my list right now . I just need to shoot one and see how it feels in my hand
    From what I have heard, the 22/45 version of the Mk III feels just like a 1911, so if you know what that feels like, you'll have a pretty good idea, although with the hunter barrel, even being fluted, it's going to alter the balance a bit, although it might be pretty close if you got the one with the shorter barrel.

I personally like the looks of the standard grip Mk III, and I like how it feels in the hand as well. Besides, it's tough to beat those beautiful cocobolo grips for looks and durability. :)

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    If you go with the hunter make sure you put some thought into the barrel length you want and dont just get whatever they got sittin in the glass cabinet,me and my gf picked her up one and we didnt even consider that but its basically the only difference in the hunters thats not cosmetic,we got hers at one store and found one with the longer barrel cheaper at another store after we had already bought it.
    The only thing i dont like about the hunter is those high vis sights,theyre great for plinkin if you use the correct rod for light conditions but for bullseye they can be lacking.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    yah those grips are sweet arent they, i guess the shorter barrel has its advantages with the balance but if your benching it for target shooting you will never notice that. on the other hand if your plinking i guess that would be reverse and youd notice the weight and balance but the barrel length would make no difference

oh yah and the hunter comes tapped and with a funny looking but good long scope base in the box ready to install if you so choose

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think that for plinking, the longer barrel might be a bit harder to hold steady, but would be more accurate in the long run.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    yah it would be harder to holster too, problem with me is im hard headed and I just think it looks more vintage and cool with the longer barrel. wider sight radius is a plus too with a longer barrel

Steafan

Nov 21, 2008
    Well I’m not going with the hunter. I will be picking up my new toy up this week .I decided to do a 180 and go with a GSG-5. For some reason I change my mind at the last second ,now I just hope I can find 22 ammo:D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    can't go wrong with the neos. i'm surprised marknakasone hasn't swung by to pimp it up. it's a very accurate and reliable pistol for cheaper usually than the buckmark or the mkIII. oh didnt read every post but the p22 alucard has is dead nutts accurate as long as you are good with sight alignment. you can get a scope/red dot mount similar to the one posted on the skeeter. it's also cool because they come with a threaded barrell if ure thinkiin about putting a can on it. people complaining about the reliability had older ones with f' up mags....they fixed it and now they're very reliable.

i have an sp22 m3 and don't know what to think yet. currently i'm overjoyed about how accurate it is and reliable. buuut i had to send it back twice..the first time because the charging handle bracket broke free from the slide and the second time because the firing pin broke where the roll pin punches through it. haven't had any problems since then though and that was a few thousand rounds ago..maybe i just got a lemon?? it's surprising because you know the germans make good stuff.

it comes down dirt simply with 2 hex wrenches(one for the charging handles and one for the barrel/guide-rod mount at the front. putting it back together is reverse order but putting a mag in it and pushing the slide catch over with a knife of flat head screwdriver to hold the slide back before putting the cover back on.

If i didn't have it break twice i'd recommend it for it's accuracy but since i did and after shooting alucard's buckmark, i'd say get a buckmark. they're very accurate and don't have the goofy grip angle of the neos. they also come with a better trigger out of the box than the rugers. plus if you wanna change the barrell out on the buckmark you don't do any extra paperwork like you would on the ruger.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well I’m not going with the hunter. I will be picking up my new toy up this week .I decided to do a 180 and go with a GSG-5. For some reason I change my mind at the last second ,now I just hope I can find 22 ammo:D

go with the buckmark carbine and after shooting it a little sell it to me for cheap...i want one of those things

Steafan

Nov 21, 2008
    Scopes ,red dot ,holographic, I have some reading to do on this . I don't know the diffrence between the two and what is better. I don't want to spend over 100.00 $$$ and I don't want junk ,not sure if that is possible for under 100 or around a 100

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    you'll love the gsg, go to walmart and get the federal 22lr in 550rd boxes for $14. go to ebay for all your accesorries except mags.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    My favorite is my Browning Buckmark.

+1 my buddy has a threaded/supressed buckmark camper with over 5000+ rounds through it, its dirty and gritty and still never misses a beat. It also has a GREAT trigger and great accuracy.. if only you don't mind the terrible looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom