• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steafan

Nov 21, 2008
    Now that it’s almost impossible to buy 9mm ammo and my 357 is on back order. I need to shoot something so I was thinking about buying a 22 cal, I’m not sure if I want a Semi or revolver. I have shot a Sig Mosquito and was not happy with the jams and it ejecting live ammo. I know I have to shoot a few then decide… but I would like to know who likes their .22 so I know what to try at the range.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Cheap bulk .22 ammo is a problem in a lot of pistols. How would you feel about a 10/22? Still use it indoors and I personally enjoy it more than any .22 pistol I've ever fired. I sold my Browning Buckmark because I never used it. If I had to get a pistol, it would be the Ruger Single-Six.

Steafan

Nov 21, 2008
    Cheap bulk .22 ammo is a problem in a lot of pistols. How would you feel about a 10/22? Still use it indoors and I personally enjoy it more than any .22 pistol I've ever fired. I sold my Browning Buckmark because I never used it. If I had to get a pistol, it would be the Ruger Single-Six.

It was a range gun who knows when it was cleaned last . Not sure about a 10/22 .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Unfortunately, all to often failures to fire/extract/feed are prevalent in most 22s due to ammo, best bet is to find some that works well, and is accurate, then stick with it. Some pistols work well enough with bulk Win or Fed, others(usually with match chambers) will only work with Eley or Wolf.

For a good all around 22 pistol, I have been very happy with my Buckmark hunter, good trigger, relatively reliable, easy to clear the inevitable jam, and dead nuts accurate. For about the same price, you can also get a ciener or marvel conversion kit for a service pistol, and get some practice without the recoil or cost of service caliber ammo.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    id like to say yes but you will go through hell the first couple of times figuring it out,but once you get it down its easy and you feel a sense of accomplishment and its only like 5 parts

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    theres an aftermarket part that you can put on it tho so you can field strip it by simply unscrewing an allen screw if that bothers you,but after like a week I was able to take mine down and put it back together in like 3 easy steps

i think it would be unfair not to mension that the MKII is basically the same as the MKIII minus a few gadgets that were added and the magazine release is on the butt of the MKII where its by the trigger guard of the MKIII which most people prefer. im a MKII guy myself because its proven to work and its simple and fun,but most of the MKIII's come already tapped and include a scope base and if you didnt start on a MKII or the original like me youll probably prefer the MKIII magazine release

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm looking for a plinker too, and may have found one, but the re-assembly of the MKIII turned me away for the moment. It's good to know that it can be learned, and it's an incredible pain in the neck every single time.

Anyone want to talk about P22s? :innocent0

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm looking for a plinker too, and may have found one, but the re-assembly of the MKIII turned me away for the moment. It's good to know that it can be learned, and it's an incredible pain in the neck every single time.

Anyone want to talk about P22s? :innocent0

I got a p22....i like it as a plinker. helps if you keep it clean but its definitely the ammo that cause the FTF's

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed whole-heartidly. Once you're used to it, it's not bad at all.

pointing it straight up and pulling the trigger is easy to do, but if you don't know about that little step, you might end up in the looney bin.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    i'm currently looking at a p22, i thought i was done with .22 but i saw a royal blue/nickel model i gotsta have:D

:popcorn:

if your looking for one thats good for target shooting... i would consider looking at the browning buckmark's or the ruger mk's... BUT, if your looking for one just to plink around and have some 'cool' factor, then look at the sig mosquito or walther p22... those resemble standard centerfire pistols.. very nice looking...

i probably shouldn't say that about the sig & walther though... i haven't actually shot one before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom