• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twowheelsforever

Jun 18, 2009
    A buddy of mine is new to guns, and wants to get a shotgun for home defense and maybe occasional trap or skeet shooting.

I was going to recommend that he get something like the Mossberg 500 Field/Security combo (54169). It comes with a 28" barrel and an 18.5" barrel and runs about $350.

Unfortunately, his budget is only in the $250 range. I think he'd be best off getting either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Should I have him look for one of those used in good condition, and then add the shorter barrel down the road?

I'm looking for any/all suggestions, especially if you know of any local gun shops that have good prices on new or used shotguns.

Thanks in advance.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For dual use I'd definitely say go with the 870, it's been around forever and parts are everywhere. As for what he should buy right now, I'd have to ask what is his primary goal: a gun for defense or a gun for trap skeet?

If his main goal is defense, then look for an 18" 870. If he looks around, he may find police trade-ins at a good price.

If his main goal is a trap gun, then look for a used 870 wingmaster with at least a 26" barrel.

Whichever way he goes, he can buy the other length barrel for it.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For dual use I'd definitely say go with the 870, it's been around forever and parts are everywhere. As for what he should buy right now, I'd have to ask what is his primary goal: a gun for defense or a gun for trap skeet?

If his main goal is defense, then look for an 18" 870. If he looks around, he may find police trade-ins at a good price.

If his main goal is a trap gun, then look for a used 870 wingmaster with at least a 26" barrel.

Whichever way he goes, he can buy the other length barrel for it.

This.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Unfortunately, with that price range it is very limited.

870 is a staple in shotgun history. Everyone should have at least one IMO. That being said, DUAL purpose (shotguns) anyway, are a bad idea. They are likely not good for both, or honestly, EITHER purpose.

twowheelsforever

Jun 18, 2009
    What do you think a decent price is for a used 870 or 500? Replacement barrels seem to be in the $90 to $150 range minimum, so if a used shotgun is going to run in the $200 to $250 range anyway, it seems like he'd be better off buying new...

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    What do you think a decent price is for a used 870 or 500? Replacement barrels seem to be in the $90 to $150 range minimum, so if a used shotgun is going to run in the $200 to $250 range anyway, it seems like he'd be better off buying new...

I think you can get an 870 at Dicks or Wally World for under $300 (think).

He should BUY a HD gun and BORROW a clays gun when he goes. ;)

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    HD, Trap & Skeet with the same gun is really stretching things. Your buddy needs to decide what his priorety is and buy that gun. Later he can buy another bbl and make due. To start with I would suggest a 28" 870 Express and shoot Skeet, struggle with Trap and not worry too much about the HD stuff.

sficksr

Feb 6, 2012
    harford co
    From what I hear mossberg maverik is a decent shotgun coming with a 20" barrel and I've seen them at my local Walmart for $180. Dicks sells barrels, I just bought my 18.5 for $80 though I'm sure its more for longer but didn't price them.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    God help the world!!! Noob's need to learn how to search!!!

Now, now. Everyone was new once. :) Besides, I've come up zip using the search function myself. Its effectiveness is highly dependent on your search parameters; I can see how someone can get frustrated and give up.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    A buddy of mine is new to guns, and wants to get a shotgun for home defense and maybe occasional trap or skeet shooting.

I was going to recommend that he get something like the Mossberg 500 Field/Security combo (54169). It comes with a 28" barrel and an 18.5" barrel and runs about $350.

Unfortunately, his budget is only in the $250 range. I think he'd be best off getting either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Should I have him look for one of those used in good condition, and then add the shorter barrel down the road?

I'm looking for any/all suggestions, especially if you know of any local gun shops that have good prices on new or used shotguns.

Thanks in advance.

Dick's has a decent Mossberg for $279 and Benelli for $400. Tell him to check them out. Also, try local gun shops and pawn shops, they sometimes have good deals on used guns.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    I got my Mossberg 500 at Walmart in Frederick for about $249. It's got the 28" barrel, which is great for target shooting, but I'd like to buy the 18" barrel to swap out and make that my default home defense configuration. A lot easier navigating through the house and hallways that way.

Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    If he likes the Mossberg he could always go with a Maverick, which is made by Mossberg and sold cheaper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom