• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    The ranges I normally hit are indoor ranges and don't go quite far enough to do the improved battle sight zero I want to do with mine.

I'm also somewhat horrible at eyeing distance so I hold no hope of guessing where the 50 m mark on a range will be.

So, what's a good place for a rifle newbie to use for this? And where can I get the appropriate target to do it?

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    The NRA range is a great facility. I think its a 50m range. Not 100%. Call them. there trap will take most centerfire rifles. The target carrier system lets you select the distance.

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    If you are in rockville, Cresap in Frederick isn't far off from you and they have 50 and 100 yards to shoot at.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    simon, let me know when you go, and if Im free Ill try and meet you out there. Ive been meaning to do the battlesight zero as described by the MD AR15 msn group. Ive sighted mine in at 100yd since thats what rockville IWLA has.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Berwin Rod and Gun in Bowie has pistol,50yd and 100yd rifle ranges. Membership is a bit $$ but in PG, they are the only game in town.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    As a former Marine, zeroing at 25 Meters was done several times and for getting a good dope out to 300 yards or so, it works fine. Now if you are looking for a zero for shooting out to 500 or 600 yards and want x-ring hits at that range, the farther out you zero, the better hits you will get.

For free 200 yard line range with benches, Sleepy Creek WMA in WV has worked for me. It is about 10 miles west of Martinsburg.

Also Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman Club has 100, 200, and 300 yard ranges. But is private, and I hope to be joining this summer.

My 2 cents.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    simon, let me know when you go, and if Im free Ill try and meet you out there. Ive been meaning to do the battlesight zero as described by the MD AR15 msn group. Ive sighted mine in at 100yd since thats what rockville IWLA has.

I'll be sure to let you know.

First I'm waiting on a new pair of glasses after an eye exam today. It's been five years since I got this pair and I suppose it would help a bit to be able to see 50 yards/meters away.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    +1 for Cresap. They charge $2 per shooter and I think $2 per target you shoot. Good deal.

$1 per target. 1000x better than the IWLA range. I didn't renew my membership there because their rifle shack sucks so bad. Even though it's only 3 miles from my house, it's so bad I just couldn't go back anymore. Cresap is so much better!

eapmai

Oct 29, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    $1 per target. 1000x better than the IWLA range. I didn't renew my membership there because their rifle shack sucks so bad. Even though it's only 3 miles from my house, it's so bad I just couldn't go back anymore. Cresap is so much better!

Which IWLA range did you go to? Did you go to the Damascus IWLA?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Based on the description, Im guessing he's talking about our little box at Rockville. It isnt much fun to shoot out of at all. D-mas has a covered 100yd range with ~10 positions.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Based on the description, Im guessing he's talking about our little box at Rockville. It isnt much fun to shoot out of at all. D-mas has a covered 100yd range with ~10 positions.

Yep I was a member at the Rockville chapter. The pistol range and trap range really weren't bad at all, but since I own 3 rifles I need to have a more comfortable environment to shoot them in, and the "box" (literally) doesn't do it for me. I've seen the Damascus range, I was jealous :(

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    No kidding. Shooting out of that box, especially with iron sights, is no fun at all. You can still shoot well, but the musty smell, damp, cold air, the dark and dust make it no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom