NC soldier arrested for long gun carry at Mall.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I didn't read anywhere that he was in uniform. A guy in civvies with rifle AND gear is cause for alarm.

A single soldier uniformed with gear AND rifle is something you'd never see in a mall and would be cause as well. Nobody says "oh that's normal. We see them armed in the mall all the time". People around there know that soldiers do not carry weapons on or off post.

I don't care what one is used to seeing outside the mall on army post. It's what is going on inside somewhere else that doesn't appear normal which is cause for alarm.

I agree with this.

Feb 28, 2013
    Where other comments deleted? The last one wasn't that bad (calling the video "excrement"). At least I took that comment to be about the video, not anyone in the video.

Well, I read "blob" to mean he was referring to the one carrying the rifle.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The last thing we want is members of the military going around armed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The last thing we want is members of the military going around armed.

Seriously? Talk about a police state, but a martial law like scenario is ok to ya eh? " All the soldiers can carry their weapons, why can't we? That's not fair" sniffle sniffle sniffle.

Rifles seem to be the weapon of choice for active shooters. Aside from the open carry argument, wouldn't the last thing you want is some nut job being able to blend in with the population making it easier for them to carry their weapon of choice in their targeted area? Well, of course you'd be ok with it because someone like you would say " Well, I would have my rifle with me so I can help defend everyone". :rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ahhh , that last statement by Blaster could be applied equally about any carry of anything, including CCW .

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Seriously? Talk about a police state, but a martial law like scenario is ok to ya eh? " All the soldiers can carry their weapons, why can't we? That's not fair" sniffle sniffle sniffle.

Wow, it's like your reading my thoughts. Well, it would have to be wouldn't it because I didn't write anything about martial law or it not being fair...

Don't quit your day job, that Madam Cleo gig just isn't working for you...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ahhh , that last statement by Blaster could be applied equally about any carry of anything, including CCW .

CCW doesn't cause an unnecessary panic. Again, totality of the circumstances.

What he did was out of the baseline behavior of a mall environment. IF you saw a guy like this with gear, shame on you if you wouldn't be suspicious of that person and go about in your condition white.

The idiot would probably have been ok with everything in a rolling gear bag.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wow, it's like your reading my thoughts. Well, it would have to be wouldn't it because I didn't write anything about martial law or it not being fair...

Don't quit your day job, that Madam Cleo gig just isn't working for you...

So, you don't think soldiers should be able to walk around in public with rifles all the time, everywhere? OR yes? or no, yes, no, yes, no.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So, you don't think soldiers should be able to walk around in public with rifles all the time, everywhere? OR yes? or no, yes, no, yes, no.

So, you don't want to just attribute some more stuff to me? How about "quartering soldiers in private homes"? That sort of goes along with the whole martial law motif.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, you don't want to just attribute some more stuff to me? How about "quartering soldiers in private homes"? That sort of goes along with the whole martial law motif.

You are free to dispute anything you think is attributed to you.

Do you or do you not agree that you think soldiers should be able to walk around freely with service rifles? Not a difficult question.

I mean, that is what you meant by your original response, right? Or no?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Do you or do you not agree that you think soldiers should be able to walk around freely with service rifles? Not a difficult question.

I mean, that is what you meant by your original response, right?

Is that what your spirit guides told you?

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I didn't read anywhere that he was in uniform. A guy in civvies with rifle AND gear is cause for alarm.

Because ... ?

A single soldier uniformed with gear AND rifle is something you'd never see in a mall and would be cause as well. Nobody says "oh that's normal. We see them armed in the mall all the time". People around there know that soldiers do not carry weapons on or off post.
    That something isn't normal doesn't automatically make it dangerous, and most especially doesn't cause it to rise to the level of an arrestable offense.

I don't care what one is used to seeing outside the mall on army post. It's what is going on inside somewhere else that doesn't appear normal which is cause for alarm.
    No, what is cause for alarm is behavior that is a likely precursor to harmful action, such that one can rationally and reliably deduce that harmful action will follow from the behavior in question. Hence, your assertion here is that carrying a rifle and gear in a mall is somehow, by itself, such a precursor. Upon what do you base such an assertion?

That's not to say that what they guy did was terribly bright ...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Dose of stupid all around.

Although in that state I would think he was within his rights he should have foreseen that kind of reaction and had it in a case.

Probably an over-reaction on the part of the person that called it in, but also it depends on what the guy carrying's mannerisms and behavior were like. For example if he were lost and late for an appointment to get his picture taken he might have been nervous and glancing in all directions.

I would think the responding officer could have used some discretion when he found out it was a soldier on his way to get pictures taken... But then again the soldier could have responded like a dick.

In short, not enough facts yet.

Isn't that always the case? I will say that, if asked to come to a shopping mall for a photo op in uniform and rifle, I would BRING my uniform and weapon in a suitcase or duffle. Perception is reality and there's been more than a few episodes of folks in BDUs with a long gun going apeshit in public areas. Now there's likely MORE anti-gunners to deal with....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom