• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    As a Maryland resident, can I but a non-MD-regulated rifle in North Carolina? I figure the price will be better down there while I'm on vacation. I'm looking for a Remington 700 VTR .308 in digital camo. :D

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Perfectly legal, as long as its a non-regulated firearm in the state you reside. The NICS technician will have to perform a manual check, and the FFL will ask a little more info than normal. The process takes a few minutes longer than normal.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Perfectly legal, as long as its a non-regulated firearm in the state you reside. The NICS technician will have to perform a manual check, and the FFL will ask a little more info than normal. The process takes a few minutes longer than normal.

If that's the case (and you sound pretty sure), I just got an education. Maybe it was more battered gun owner syndrome on my part.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If that's the case (and you sound pretty sure), I just got an education. Maybe it was more battered gun owner syndrome on my part.

The only thing you have to watch, is the Magic Map behind the wal-Mart sporting goods counters. Some states do not play nice with other states, Massachussetts, New York are listed as no-nos, go figure.

Also the squeemishness of the FFL comes into play, if they are unwilling then obiviously the deal is a no-go.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Indigoes and MikeC got it right IMO. The bordering (contiguous) state thing was changed a while ago either in 1986 or in the late 90s. Some states have their own contiguous state restrictions maybe still on the books though (Idaho), and others like maybe NY or MA do not let you even touch a gun in their state without an FID issued by that state, but as others have pointed out there is a map and some state's Attorneys General (or at least one) has ruled the state law is now moot and their residents can buy long guns wherever from an FFL.

I am, not sure about NC, but I am checking for you now.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Article 53A. Other Firearms
    14-409.10. Purchase of rifles and shotguns
    out of State. It shall be lawful for citizens of this
    State to purchase rifles and shotguns and ammunition
    therefor in states contiguous to this
    State.
    This is all I found. Two important things to note, one is that this does not adress residents of other states purchaseing in NC so the fed law should be the only one that applies. The second thing is this is like MD's contiguous state law which is not a restriction, but rather an allowance saying there is nothing preventing residents from purchasing in a contiguous state. Since there seems to be no restriction in NC or MD law saying their residents cannot buy long guns in non-contiguous states, it falls on the fed law and the fed law allows non-contiguous state purchases of long guns from FFLs.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The last issue, you have to be concerned about is transportation, if you are driving, then not an issue.

If you are flying/train/whatever then you have to make arrangements with the Carrier, and obey all the fed laws that pertain to interstate travel.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    That's folks. I'll give it a try. I'll be looking around the Camp Lejeune area so hopefully they are familar with non-residence purchase issues.

wgpklaus

Nov 21, 2008
    That's folks. I'll give it a try. I'll be looking around the Camp Lejeune area so hopefully they are familar with non-residence purchase issues.

I've talked to a couple guys in various Pawn Shops throughout the state and most of the folks I've spoken to are familiar with the various laws and have no problem selling to we, the poor common folk from the Peoples Republic of Maryland, if it's allowed.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This is in MD law, not sure how to interpret it (our firearms laws are so well written when someone with 24 years LE experience and a master's degree still can't understand what they're supposed to do). It says you can purchase in an adjacent state, but doesn't say you can't purchase in a non-adjacent state. Maybe this is just a leftover from the old days that doesn't really matter anymore, I dunno. Novus maybe you want to play with this one.

§ 5-204. Purchasers of rifles or shotguns.

(a) "Adjacent state" defined.- In this section, "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
    (b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.
    (c) Resident of adjacent state in this State.- If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in this State.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, §§ 481A, 481B; 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]

Ultimate Member
    if you don't have to register it and you can buy it by filling out the 4473 or better yet from a private sale, it really should not matter since that would never hold up in court.

Most stores will not sell to people from non-adjacent states as policy. If you have your dad in NC buy a nice hunting rifle and then give it to you, then it really does not matter. If that ever went to court, then they would have no way to prove when you owned it. If they trace it back, just say your dad or who ever transfered it to someone in VA and then transfered it to you in MD.

A rifle or shotgun should not really matter.

Maryland gun laws are stupid, contradict themselves and just do not make sense in general. The ATF and FBI tells you if you are legal to own a gun.

Everything I said may get you in trouble, but I mean come on. If you see a nice shotgun or rifle out of state, then buy it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This is in MD law, not sure how to interpret it (our firearms laws are so well written when someone with 24 years LE experience and a master's degree still can't understand them). It says you can purchase in an adjacent state, but doesn't say you can't purchase in a non-adjacent state. Maybe this is just a leftover from the old days that doesn't really matter anymore, I dunno. Novus maybe you want to play with this one.
    That is exactly how I read it. The mention in law is not a restriction whatsoever and was there just to state a particular situation was allowed, not what isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom