• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Eh..... If its what you want and you're not a super serious collector I say go for it. Mosins are fun guns and you only live once. You'll miss out and someone else will have boat loads of fun for cheap.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Royal Tiger = InterOrdnance = BAD NEWS

Unissued Snipers ?!?........Pu-leez :sad20:

Cheap Fun? $700 for a probable fake or $800 for a verified, authentic sniper. That should be a no-brainer.......

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Royal Tiger = InterOrdnance = BAD NEWS

Unissued Snipers ?!?........Pu-leez :sad20:

Cheap Fun? $700 for a probable fake or $800 for a verified, authentic sniper. That should be a no-brainer.......

no, it's true! they're sniper rifles because they've got a new scope slapped on (duct tape? rubber cement?) and they're unissued because they slapped the scopes on yesterday. so wtf, I say go for it!

...and for those who believe it, can I talk to you about a bridge I've got up on Craigslist? I'll give you a deal for cash, small bills...:sad20:

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    Hold on there fellas, there have been a few recently imported genuine refurbed snipers through Germany by a company called ATI (I believe). They appear similar to the real ones R Guns has. I'd like to see some of what Royal Tiger has before I jump to any conclusions.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Hold on there fellas, there have been a few recently imported genuine refurbed snipers through Germany by a company called ATI (I believe). They appear similar to the real ones R Guns has. I'd like to see some of what Royal Tiger has before I jump to any conclusions.

I agree with giving them a look. BUT, Royal Tiger is the new name/front/ or off-shoot company of IO. IO was generally bad news. My statements were geared toward the causal shooters and collectors that may not know the history of the company and their dealings.
    Mosin snipers are EXTREMELY difficult to determine. It is my opinion that if you're willing to spend $700 to deal with IO, it should be an absolute no brainer to pay $100 more and get an authentic PU sniper from RGuns that has been verified - in person - by Vic Thomas.

Again, as a more serious collector, I feel I can better judge the offerings from Royal Tiger than can the normal guy looking for a fun shooter. I like to try and give the buyer as much info as possible before spending their money.

This is for the OP, and not you Jindodog-as you are a collector and are much better able to separate the fakes from the real deal.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    I agree that the mosin sniper field is full of pitfalls and collectors of every level must be extremely wary. That being said the picture of the sniper on their site with the Hungarian marked stock does look very interesting...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Totally agree w. H2U. When I wanted a shooter I picked up a repop from Lou at a local show (this was a few years ago). If I was looking for a genuine MN sniper then I'd either insist on seeing it in person to examine all aspects of it or go with a setup like R-Guns has where the inventory was vetted by an expert (in this case Vic who has an impressive reputation in the MN world).
    Think many of you know by now that I like to take risks and will roll the dice on an item buying it via the net or proxy. But there are some items that get faked to one degree or another or where descriptions are vague (sometimes intentional) and where it's prudent to make a personal inspection of the goods. Japanese paratrooper Arisakas, Lugers, G/K41s and 43s and MN snipers all fall into that category IMHO. Caveat Emptor! Esp. when dealing with IO. The less said about them the better from my "recent" personal dealings. Don't ask me about the BREN MKI kit and the drubbing I took on it. Never again!

Winchester_guy87

Mar 2, 2011
    Odenton
    I picked up a Mosin Sniper from James River and paid some where around $400. It was one of the refurb ones so some of the numbers are not matching but overall for a plinker at the range its a lot of fun.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Have heard from reliable sources that RGuns only has the bottom of the barrel stuff left. Someone posted on Gunboards posted pictures of one they got from RGuns and the bore on the bolt end was pretty much devoid of rifling. Remember that 99% of snipers out there are fakes and this has been true for years. Three routes to go, get a repro $450, Make your own from an ex-sniper $350-$450 or get an original $800 plus. If you do pay $800 for the authentic one, it will still be refurbished with crossed out numbers to match and often times electropencil numbers.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Have heard from reliable sources that RGuns only has the bottom of the barrel stuff left. Someone posted on Gunboards posted pictures of one they got from RGuns and the bore on the bolt end was pretty much devoid of rifling. Remember that 99% of snipers out there are fakes and this has been true for years. Three routes to go, get a repro $450, Make your own from an ex-sniper $350-$450 or get an original $800 plus. If you do pay $800 for the authentic one, it will still be refurbished with crossed out numbers to match and often times electropencil numbers.

Where do you buy an original and how do you authenticate it?

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    It used to be that RGuns was the only source for authentic snipers, although I have heard that ATI out of Rochester NY has some also. Basically you could tell which were authentic by the importer. The confusing part is that RGuns sells a lot of regular 91/30s as well.

nelson

Aug 29, 2010
    DC

thanks for the update, i was looking at Rguns, maybe not anymore

Sirex