• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    No it's not as effective as a properly designed suppressor, expect about a 3dB performance hit. But, it works, and it suppresses the report, recoil, and flash, but not nearly as well as a .223 can.

Many people have .308, 300 BLK, and .223 rifles, and only have a .308 rifle rated can. It's bigger, heavier, and sturdier than a .223 can, but it works. For them the price vs performance vs usability leaned towards the .308 rifle suppressor.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've asked the same question, and the experienced suppressor guys say that it is always best to suppress to the caliber....

However, they also say that the slight difference between a 5.56 through a 308 can vs a dedicated 5.56 can is minute enough to merit considering sub calibering if you have a 308 and 5.56.

I have a 308 bolt gun and an AR, and I plan to buy a 308 can with a mount for my AR.

YMMV.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    My ears can't tell much difference between shooting 5.56 though a 7.62 Phantom and a 5.56 Phantom. Both are pretty loud... just a slightly different character to the report (if that makes any sense). The big advantage to me is that the 5.56 is much smaller and lighter.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My ears can't tell much difference between shooting 5.56 though a 7.62 Phantom and a 5.56 Phantom. Both are pretty loud... just a slightly different character to the report (if that makes any sense). The big advantage to me is that the 5.56 is much smaller and lighter.

Absolutely. I'll add that a 308 can will work until you save up for a 556 can :D

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    How much of an advantage is that for the majority of us who aren't humping suppressed weapons through the boonies--just shooting at a range?

I have a particularly heavy 7.62 can (SS Phantom), so I probably notice it more than others... When I put it on my .308 heavy barrel bolt gun, it makes no difference at all since that is strictly a bipod gun. But on a .300blk or 5.56 SBR, 28oz hanging off the end of the barrel really makes the gun unwieldy IMO... far more than I was expecting. It is enough of an issue that I am considering shelling out for a lighter one.

...either that, or I need to hit the gym. :o

NB1214

Jan 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    I have a particularly heavy 7.62 can (SS Phantom), so I probably notice it more than others... When I put it on my .308 heavy barrel bolt gun, it makes no difference at all since that is strictly a bipod gun. But on a .300blk or 5.56 SBR, 28oz hanging off the end of the barrel really makes the gun unwieldy IMO... far more than I was expecting. It is enough of an issue that I am considering shelling out for a lighter one.

...either that, or I need to hit the gym. :o

after hearing this im glad i went wit the ti phantom for my 300blk

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I own both a stainless steel Tactical Innovations TAC16 5.56 and a titanium Gemtech Quicksand QD .308 can. You can definitely notice that the TAC16 is quieter for normal (super sonic) loads of 5.56, but it's not a huge difference. For sub sonic loads it doesn't make any difference really. If I had to do it all over again, as far as which suppressors to get, it would be the following below. Be patient, and save the money for good cans, it'll save you coin in the future.

1) Titanium .308 can for most rifle caliber use, and is light weight towards the end of the muzzle. Sorry, but heavy steel cans on a 16" barrel suck. (Gemtech Quicksand QD)

2) Aluminum .45 can that's reasonably short for pistols and sub machineguns. (Silencerco Osprey 45)

3) Serviceable .22 can for all rimfire uses. (SWR Spectre II or Huntertown Arms Guardian 22)

4) Stainless Steel 5.56/.308 can only for use on a full auto rifle caliber, as titanium can crack from sustained full auto use. (whatever SS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom