• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :innocent0I think somebody thinks they can violate the 1 sec rule if they use a silencer

Run the subsonics..., no silencer needed (almost) - they're pretty quiet on their own.

Neighbors never knew I was throwing .30 cal projectiles around the other day. :innocent0

Went down there this past Thursday AM. Good day overall. I got there early and got the last table. People cycled through, so tables stayed full, without anyone having to wait. Only one moment of excitement when a guy started handling his B/P with a couple folks down range. Honest mistake ans he apologized. Did have one asshat try to staple a target to one of the uprights and was corrected by several folks. Most folks had slug guns or blackpowder, sighting in for hunting (or just checking them sighted in), then they left. Nothing different down there that day. One guy with a couple enfields and a couple folks with garands. I was sighting in a new .22 and brought my M44 to wake everyone up. :D

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You said the one guy was handling. His muzzle loader. Depending on what he was doing and how it was pointed this may or may not have been an issue. If he was cleaning it and it pointed up right then no issue. However if he was capping it or it being pointed down range that is different story.
    While basic firearm safety is one thing dealing with muzzle loaders is a different category And people have to understand that.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    Went down there this past Thursday AM. Good day overall. I got there early and got the last table. People cycled through, so tables stayed full, without anyone having to wait. Only one moment of excitement when a guy started handling his B/P with a couple folks down range. Honest mistake ans he apologized. Did have one asshat try to staple a target to one of the uprights and was corrected by several folks. Most folks had slug guns or blackpowder, sighting in for hunting (or just checking them sighted in), then they left. Nothing different down there that day. One guy with a couple enfields and a couple folks with garands. I was sighting in a new .22 and brought my M44 to wake everyone up. :D

That was me with the Enfields next to you...must have missed the excitement.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    You said the one guy was handling. His muzzle loader. Depending on what he was doing and how it was pointed this may or may not have been an issue. If he was cleaning it and it pointed up right then no issue. However if he was capping it or it being pointed down range that is different story.
    While basic firearm safety is one thing dealing with muzzle loaders is a different category And people have to understand that.

I can respect that muzzle loaders have different manual of arms but the rule at MG (and should be at any range) is NO handling of ANY firearms when the range is cold. No handling greatly decreases (close to 100% as possible) the chance of an ND with people downrange. Must be me and my "trust issues" again...

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I understand what you are saying, and as i stated it depends on what and how the person is handling the muzzle loader. If they are pointing down range then you are 100% correct however if they are running cleaning patches down the bore and drying it with the muzzle loader pointed up you are talking about something different. I was down with mine the other day and it took 2 hours to fire about 30 rounds and this was with an almost empty range. If the muzzle loader shooter had to wait for the range to go cold and it was a wait, he/she would only be able to take a few shots before the table had to be given up. Now if the shooter cleaned during the cold (and only cleaned) then the time is spent better.
    Unless you shoot a muzzle loader a lot there i doubt you would fully understand what i am talking about..

And b.t.w. a muzzle loader is not classified as a firearm :D

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I understand what you are saying, and as i stated it depends on what and how the person is handling the muzzle loader. If they are pointing down range then you are 100% correct however if they are running cleaning patches down the bore and drying it with the muzzle loader pointed up you are talking about something different. I was down with mine the other day and it took 2 hours to fire about 30 rounds and this was with an almost empty range. If the muzzle loader shooter had to wait for the range to go cold and it was a wait, he/she would only be able to take a few shots before the table had to be given up. Now if the shooter cleaned during the cold (and only cleaned) then the time is spent better.
    Unless you shoot a muzzle loader a lot there i doubt you would fully understand what i am talking about..

And b.t.w. a muzzle loader is not classified as a firearm :D

Semantics...So I guess I'm exempt from the handling rules when I'm using any of my Finnish Mosins? They all are built on 1896 or 1898 Tula receivers and those aren't "firearms" by classification as well. I guess I'll tell anyone objecting that rickyp said it is OK:D
    Anything that expels a projectile by means of a propellant is a firearm. A ND from a "non-firearm" muzzle loader can kill you just as dead as any other modern firearm.
    The rules are the rules and they are there for the lowest common denominator.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dude, the part about them not being a firearm was a joke

My point is that you have to shoot a muzzle loader a lot at m.g. to understand what i am talking about

I do fully understand where you are coming from. I guess you would have issues with a person holding an arrow in his hand while you where down the bow range or a guy setting up a clay target thrower while you where on the skeet range field.
    There is being safe and then there is being paranoid.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I've seen enough Herpity Derp when handling firearms to be more than a little paranoid when around the general public. I would rather err on the side of caution. MG gets all types of firearms skill. Even those with decades of experience can still have (tragic) mistakes. Hands off when cold is a good thing. Those who don't want to follow should be dealt with or go find somewhere else to shoot. The private clubs I've been to are just as strict.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I guess by your thinking someone should not come down to the range during a gold period because they will have a weapon over the shoulder on in a holster on the side.

Also since we are talking about safety, how about banning all reloads because the guy beside you may not know what he was doing when he reloaded his 30/06 and it blows up and hurts someone. We can go on and on.

When the range is cold actions should be open, however muzzle loaders are a closed breach system and can not be opened. So how do you know when the guy puts it on the table that its really unloaded when pointed down range? A person with the muzzle punted up right and running wet patches down the bore you can be 99.9% sure it is in a safe condition.

Muzzle loaders are not cartridge fire weapons and they have there own safety rules to follow along with normal safe gun handling.

If you feel that everyone around you isnt safe with a firearm because they do things different then you want them to, maybe you should join the strict private gun range you where talking about.

We take calculated risk every day and we can not be scared to take them. The gun range is no exception. What you may consider a unsafe act really isnt an issue at all.

I will give you an example, the first rule of handling any type of power is to keep all open flames away. This is more so with black powder. The other day when i was at the range the guy at the next table light a cigarette while i was loading my muzzle loader. If the guy discarded his cigarette in the wrong place or if i wasnt watching what i was doing it could have been interesting real fast. But he was watching what he was doing and i was as well there was no issue.

That was me with the Enfields next to you...must have missed the excitement.

Sweet. They were both beautiful rifles. I was thinking I should have brought out my No.5 Jungle Carbine, when I saw them.
    I think the mzl thing happened right before you came. I didn't catch whether the guy with the mzl was cleaning it, loading it or pulling the breech plug. All I know is that I heard a couple folks yelling and I looked over to see that he had the barrel pointed downrange. There were still 2 guys coming back from the targets. From his response I think it was a simple mistake, as he immediately apologized.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    "All I know is that I heard a couple folks yelling and I looked over to see that he had the barrel pointed downrange. There were still 2 guys coming back from the targets. From his response I think it was a simple mistake, as he immediately apologized. "

since this is the case I agree with you. having a weapon in a firing position when people are down range isn't a smart thing.

dilligaf

Do I look like I care?
    Jun 19, 2012
    Did he look like some southern Maryland version of hank williams jr but with a pony tail?

No... a large guy in his 50s. From his constant talking, he wasn't officially associated with MG or the DNR, but desperately wanted to be.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds like 'Yogi' - was he blowing a rape whistle about every 20 minutes and stapling multiple targets to a stand?

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I'm heading down there in a few hours with my wife so she can shoot her 380 and I can get the 308 dialed in and ready for gun week. Just replaced the scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom