my security company is taking me to gun training class Saturday what should I expect

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pooh

Jul 18, 2011
    baltimore
    What kind of prior experience do you have?

I have 7 strait years in the security field so Ive done everything you could do as a basic officer but being armed is a first for me.I pick up my gun Friday and the class is Saturday and I was trying to get some pointers before class.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Let me re-phrase... What's your experience with handguns?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I would think this is like the military, go in a blank slate and learn what they want to teach you.

Unless you are very special, you can't learn much between now and Saturday, other than possibly bad habits.

Let me guess, you do not have any private handgun training scheduled between now and Saturday?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    So is it like they teach you about guns then take a test and then go to the range or is it more to it

i'm assuming its a basic pistol course. they're gonna teach to the level as if someone has never handled a firearm before. is it a 40 hr course? you'll probably end up firing 1K rds by the end of the week. it sounds like a Handgun Cert course...not an NRA course to familarize a first time shooter.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    I hope range time is better than some of the security companies I've seen at the range.

Spray and pray comes to mind.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't have any this is my first one

Ok, that's actually in your favor. Assuming they plan to teach you how to shoot and not just gun safety, pay attention and what the instructors tell you to do. Becoming competent with a handgun really isn't rocket science but it does take practice. Any idea what you'll be carrying?

pooh

Jul 18, 2011
    baltimore
    I would think this is like the military, go in a blank slate and learn what they want to teach you.

Unless you are very special, you can't learn much between now and Saturday, other than possibly bad habits.

Let me guess, you do not have any private handgun training scheduled between now and Saturday?

Nope my job let me know about the class on such a short notice I found on the 5th and then had to hurry and get a gun and all the rest of the stuff

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    if you want to come down to MSAR I can let you shoot some .22s to start, to get you more comfortable with basic operation.. maybe some other calibers if you are interested..

pooh

Jul 18, 2011
    baltimore
    Ok, that's actually in your favor. Assuming they plan to teach you how to shoot and not just gun safety, pay attention and what the instructors tell you to do. Becoming competent with a handgun really isn't rocket science but it does take practice. Any idea what you'll be carrying?

Yes I got a glock19 gen4 and I'm left handed was that a good choice

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I was just wondering what you actualy do in gun training class and is it hard to pass

With a security company, you can expect your fellow students to do things like, when they have a failure to fire, immediately turning the firearm around and looking down the barrel.

Prepare to duck.

SRTMO

Apr 29, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    When you pick up the gun, leave it in the box or case and do not touch it until told to so by the instructor. Don't play with it and certainly don't point it at anyone. Don't load it or anything. Tell the instructor you have no experience with firearms and they will tell you what they want you to do.

Good luck and have fun.

The 4 rules of gun safety are:

Never point the firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
    Keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

pooh

Jul 18, 2011
    baltimore
    With a security company, you can expect your fellow students to do things like, when they have a failure to fire, immediately turning the firearm around and looking down the barrel.

Prepare to duck.

Glad you told me that I will be no where near them lol

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Yes I got a glock19 gen4 and I'm left handed was that a good choice

I'd say so, but I'm a Glock fanboy and 11 years of carrying one verifies my choice. As a lefty, the ambi mag release on the Gen 4 is a useful asset I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom