• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    These are both the 7.62 flavors. Both are titanium and ran pretty close in price. The Thunderbeast is a dedicated suppressor that is now on my long range .308 rifle while the YHM Phantom is a quick detach model that is bouncing around between a variety of rifles from an AR-10 to a Saga. I also purchased a couple of QD 5.56 flash suppressors to mount the can on.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm no expert on suppressors and I didn't use any electronic devices to measure dB levels. This was solely by ear.

Both suppressors were similar in size and weight. The Thunderbeast came with a black finish while the YHM was bare titanium. No big deal to me.

They both attached firmly to the muzzles of the respective rifles and I really liked the QD feature of the YHM that threads nicely onto their proprietary muzzle device (either a brake or a flash hider). The YHM cinches to the spring loaded muzzel device and clicks in place tightly with a few twists of the hand. As I mentioned earlier the TB is a dedicated suppressor and threads directly onto the threaded muzzle.

Shooting the TB on my long range rifle was a pleasure. The sound reduction was enough that I didn't need any ear protection. I was shooting 300 yards and the point of aim changed. It was low on the vertical axis by 2 moa but exact on the horizontal axis. Eight clicks on the scope's adjustment knob and she was back on target and held on the poa great through repeated shots.

The YHM also allowed shooting both tactical 7.62 rifles without hearing protection, but I could tell a slight difference in the sound reduction, with the TB winning the competition. It was not enough to really even mention. Both suppressors sounded like an unsuppressed .22 lr rifle being shot (maybe even a little lower).

Neither suppressor ever loosened up after multiple rounds shot through them.

Now it had been recommended to me to get the QD 7.62 and use it on my 5.56 rifles also. So I put a QD brake on my 5.56 with a 10.5" barrel and tried it out. It definetly reduced the muzzle flash almost to nothing and the sound by quite a bit, but it was still loud enough that it rang my ears. I would not shoot the short barrel firearm again with this suppressor without hearing protection. I was disapointed in that. I did not try it yet on a 5.56 rifle with a barrel length over 10.5" but I imagine it would probably reduce the sound to tolerable levels. Also the 7.62 suppressor is bulky, long, heavy and awkward on these smaller rifles. This convinced me to get a YHM 5.56 QD Ti Phantom to use on the AR style rifles. So I'll be shopping around for one this week.

I will try the YHM on a longer barrelled 5.56 firearm and see if it does reduce noise to tolerable levels. I'm hoping a suppressor designed for that round will have better sound reduction on the shorter barrels than the suppressor designed for larger rounds.

I also wanted to throw in a kudos to Duff's Gun Shack for selling these to me. The shop and Vince were a pleasure to work with and even though I am 2.5 hours away from the shop it was worth the drive. They have an amazing assortment of firearms and accessories and I recommend anyone in the State to drive up to their shop and check them out. A plus is that it is beautiful country where they are located.

I've got pictures on my Samsung Galaxy but I have no idea how to get them posted on here.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Make sure a gunsmith checks your Saiga for proper thread-to-bore concentricity before running a suppressor on it. You do not want to screw your expensive suppressor because Ivan was having a bad day.

If your long range rifle was a bolt gun, that would explain why the TB sounded quieter.

And, finally, for the love of G-d, always use hearing protection when shooting rifle calibers, even suppressed. Suppressors reduce noise and flash, they do not necessarily make things hearing safe.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. A couple of thoughts after reading:

1 - There is no suppressor in the world that will allow you to shoot standard pressure 5.56 out of a 10.5" barrel without hearing protection.

2 - You should really consider wearing hearing protection when shooting anything supersonic suppressed... Especially 5.56 and .308. It's REALLY loud... like permanently damage your hearing after one shot loud.

3 - When you compare suppressors, they should really be on the same host to get useful information. Variables like barrel length, type of action, ammo used, etc. can have a large impact on total noise.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Now go find subsonic ammunition and try it again. I was absolutely amazed at the difference the first time I switched between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom