• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This is a response I wrote to someone who is anti-gun after the empire state building shooting recently. I thought I would share it with you all:

Anti-gun beliefs are mainly fueled by ignorance and gullibility. Ignorance in the most literal meaning is a lack of education or knowledge of the subject. Is it a coincidence that rarely have any people who are anti-gun actually learned and shot the firearms they claim to know so much about? I think not. People that know nothing about guns speak of things like "high capacity clip", "assault rifles", and "fully automatic weapons" being something that should be kept out of the hands of civilians, yet these ideas are based on a complete lack of education on those subjects. Ignorance in the literal definition drives these arguments.

Gullibility drives the arguments that actually make people believe that a law will prevent a crime. It doesn't work for drugs and it was a disaster when it was tried on alcohol. I don't think the infamous Aurora movie theater shooter cared that there was a "no-guns allowed" sign on the front door. The ones who did care are the people who actually did not bring their legally owned firearms because of those signs. There are actual accounts of people saying that they have been to that movie theater and removed their firearm due to the private business rule. Needless to say, it did not work in their favor.

Most importantly, in a courtroom like setting you are asked to provide facts. Where are the facts supporting the anti-gun argument? Of the 41 or so states that allow "shall-issue" carry permits, it has been proven with statistics that show the "blood will run in the streets of the wild west" argument does not correlate to actual data. Data also shows that of the 9 or so may issue/no issue states have some of the most violent handgun crime rates of all. MD, CA, NJ, NY, IL (Chicago), are the most restrictive gun rights states and have some of the most violent handgun crime. So where is the data to support that less guns equal less crime? In those states it is either illegal or extremely discriminatory to be able to carry a firearm for self-defense. So then I ask, why are those states more dangerous than the others? Also, why are there no actual facts showing that concealed carry holders regularly commit crimes with those handguns? As I said earlier, 41 or more states make it easy for the average citizen to carry handguns. There are only about 9 states left that make it difficult or impossible. It is not the "wild west" states that allow it, but it is a majority of the 50 states that do...and only around 9 that don't. You would think that with this many states that there is significant data to prove or disprove either side of the argument. Still, with 42 states allowing citizens to easily obtain a "carry permit" there is little to no evidence supporting claims that there is more violence. There is plenty of data to show that the opposite is true. The final question is that if claims are made that these laws will increase handgun violence, how can you ignore the data for the majority of the 50 United States showing that there is no correlation? How about in England and Australia, where gun ARE essentially banned and crime is higher than ever? Speculation and beliefs can be debated, but the facts exist only in un-biased truth.

People are murdered every day in various ways. At the empire state building a person was in anger from someone who was fired from their employment in the past. These confrontations have existed since the beginning of time. Yes it is true that firearms may have made it easier for the other 9 people to be wounded in this shooting, however citizens were not involved in shooting these people. "New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said all nine bystanders wounded in Friday's Empire State Building shooting had been hit with police gunfire," according to CNN. Perhaps police officers should not be allowed to have firearms, since they negligently shot 9 unarmed citizens by accident. Since the standard for police firearms training is extremely low, it should be considered that police are not as qualified as the normal citizen who is responsible enough to obtain a concealed carry license. The average citizen who does this shoots countless rounds at the shooting range and takes shooting courses, compared to the small amount of shooting a police officer must do each year to qualify. You may argue that the mistake happened because the officers were in a crowded area, but that is no excuse for violating one of the firearm safety rules...knowing your target and what is behind it. As argued, "With your gun, you might even shoot the wrong ****ing person by accident because he was standing in close proximity to your target." That is exactly what the police offers did.

The reason for wanting to carrying a handgun is because everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a kill or be killed world, and leaving yourself completely defenseless in the world we live in is not a smart move. The argument that "if guns were banned there would be no need" is not based on anything remotely truthful. Not only do most criminals obtain guns illegally, but many crimes involve knives, gang beatings, baseball bats, and rape. Would you want someone you know to be disarmed and have to fight off a rapist on their own? If you would, you are a sick individual. People who carry handguns are responsible, and do not feel a need for being a hero. We believe in protecting ourselves and our loved ones from individuals who have no regard for laws or killing people.

In the United States the Constitution guarantees us the right to keep and bear arms. You can wish all you want, but this right cannot be taken away. It is THE law of all laws, and millions of gun owners would never comply with any type of gun ban. You may claim that that 2nd Amendment was designed to create a militia back when there was no standing army. You would be correct to say this, however you can not deny the writings of the founding fathers expressing that "the right to keep and bear arms" is necessary as a protection from the government as well as for self defense This is not "crazy talk", it is exactly what it was created for. The founding fathers knew that if there ever was tyranny, firearms would allow the citizens to be feared as citizens instead of viewed as slaves. It is the final way to protect liberty if it ever needed to be.

In conclusion, you can speculate all you want but there is no data to back up these speculations. The FACTS remain that of the estimated 8 million concealed carriers in the US, there is no correlation to violent handgun crimes. The other FACTS are that states with very restrictive gun laws continue to have some of the highest handgun crime. You have no data or facts to back up your arguments, other than speculation based on ignorance of firearms in general. In the end, your ideas of making gun possession illegal will never work. There are people out there who would never go along with this, and it would literally spark the next civil war.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    That is a logical argument based on facts and reason. It is very well written and anyone with a grain of common sense would agree completely with everything you've written...now let me translate it for you based on how it will appear on the screen of your anti-gun friend...
    This is a response I wrote to someone who is anti-gun after the empire state building shooting recently. I thought I would share it with you all:

Anti-gun beliefs are mainly fueled by ignorance and gullibility. Ignorance in the most literal meaning is a lack of education or knowledge of the subject. Is it a coincidence that rarely have any people who are anti-gun actually learned and shot the firearms they claim to know so much about? I think not. People that know nothing about guns speak of things like "high capacity clip", "assault rifles", and "fully automatic weapons" being something that should be kept out of the hands of civilians, yet these ideas are based on a complete lack of education on those subjects. Ignorance in the literal definition drives these arguments.

You're an idiot, I'm an uneducated redneck and think I know more about the world than you and the "civilized" world in europe.

Gullibility drives the arguments that actually make people believe that a law will prevent a crime. It doesn't work for drugs and it was a disaster when it was tried on alcohol. I don't think the infamous Aurora movie theater shooter cared that there was a "no-guns allowed" sign on the front door. The ones who did care are the people who actually did not bring their legally owned firearms because of those signs. There are actual accounts of people saying that they have been to that movie theater and removed their firearm due to the private business rule. Needless to say, it did not work in their favor.

I've been brainwashed by other uneducated rednecks and don't want any laws. AURORA MOVIE THEATER SHOOTER!!!!! AURORA MOVIE THEATER SHOOTER!!! Without current "common sense gun laws", more evil guns would have been in the theater and it would have been a shootout like I saw in that one movie that one time....BLOOD IN THE THEATER AISLESS!!!

Most importantly, in a courtroom like setting you are asked to provide facts. Where are the facts supporting the anti-gun argument? Of the 41 or so states that allow "shall-issue" carry permits, it has been proven with statistics that show the "blood will run in the streets of the wild west" argument does not correlate to actual data. Data also shows that of the 9 or so may issue/no issue states have some of the most violent handgun crime rates of all. MD, CA, NJ, NY, IL (Chicago), are the most restrictive gun rights states and have some of the most violent handgun crime. So where is the data to support that less guns equal less crime? In those states it is either illegal or extremely discriminatory to be able to carry a firearm for self-defense. So then I ask, why are those states more dangerous than the others? Also, why are there no actual facts showing that concealed carry holders regularly commit crimes with those handguns? As I said earlier, 41 or more states make it easy for the average citizen to carry handguns. There are only about 9 states left that make it difficult or impossible. It is not the "wild west" states that allow it, but it is a majority of the 50 states that do...and only around 9 that don't. You would think that with this many states that there is significant data to prove or disprove either side of the argument. Still, with 42 states allowing citizens to easily obtain a "carry permit" there is little to no evidence supporting claims that there is more violence. There is plenty of data to show that the opposite is true. The final question is that if claims are made that these laws will increase handgun violence, how can you ignore the data for the majority of the 50 United States showing that there is no correlation? How about in England and Australia, where gun ARE essentially banned and crime is higher than ever? Speculation and beliefs can be debated, but the facts exist only in un-biased truth.

I'm an uneducated redneck and some other uneducated redneck obviously fabricated statistics from thin air somewhere. Statistics only mean something when you agree with them...and clearly you don't agree with these...so they must be part of those statistics that don't mean anything because, "statistics can be used to prove anything". A liberal professor once told you not to believe numbers from the other side because numbers are scary and untruthful, well, unless they prove the point you're trying to make...he's(using the term "he" loosely) a professor and must know more than everyone about everything. The majority of the country isn't as progressive as the common sense blue parts. There are scary guns everywhere outside of your small, blue city. It's amazing there's not more murder from those guns. ZOMG!! we need more gun control for those areas to prevent baby-shootings.
    People are murdered every day in various ways. At the empire state building a person was in anger from someone who was fired from their employment in the past. These confrontations have existed since the beginning of time. Yes it is true that firearms may have made it easier for the other 9 people to be wounded in this shooting, however citizens were not involved in shooting these people. "New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said all nine bystanders wounded in Friday's Empire State Building shooting had been hit with police gunfire," according to CNN. Perhaps police officers should not be allowed to have firearms, since they negligently shot 9 unarmed citizens by accident. Since the standard for police firearms training is extremely low, it should be considered that police are not as qualified as the normal citizen who is responsible enough to obtain a concealed carry license. The average citizen who does this shoots countless rounds at the shooting range and takes shooting courses, compared to the small amount of shooting a police officer must do each year to qualify. You may argue that the mistake happened because the officers were in a crowded area, but that is no excuse for violating one of the firearm safety rules...knowing your target and what is behind it. As argued, "With your gun, you might even shoot the wrong ****ing person by accident because he was standing in close proximity to your target." That is exactly what the police offers did.

I'm an uneducated redneck and I think of various ways to kill people all the time, even without using guns. Guns are so dangerous that they even kill innocent people in the hands of highly trained police officers. Everyone knows that police are trained better than everyone else(otherwise, how could john mcclain shoot down that power wire with his snubby?), but I'm going to claim random untrained and uneducated rednecks can shoot better than them.

The reason for wanting to carrying a handgun is because everyone has the right to defend themselves. It is a kill or be killed world, and leaving yourself completely defenseless in the world we live in is not a smart move. The argument that "if guns were banned there would be no need" is not based on anything remotely truthful. Not only do most criminals obtain guns illegally, but many crimes involve knives, gang beatings, baseball bats, and rape. Would you want someone you know to be disarmed and have to fight off a rapist on their own? If you would, you are a sick individual. People who carry handguns are responsible, and do not feel a need for being a hero. We believe in protecting ourselves and our loved ones from individuals who have no regard for laws or killing people.

I'm paranoid and violent. We need more laws to ban knives, gang beatings, baseball bats and rape. I think you are a rapist. I think I'm a hero because I carry a gun like john mcclain

In the United States the Constitution guarantees us the right to keep and bear arms. You can wish all you want, but this right cannot be taken away. It is THE law of all laws, and millions of gun owners would never comply with any type of gun ban. You may claim that that 2nd Amendment was designed to create a militia back when there was no standing army. You would be correct to say this, however you can not deny the writings of the founding fathers expressing that "the right to keep and bear arms" is necessary as a protection from the government as well as for self defense This is not "crazy talk", it is exactly what it was created for. The founding fathers knew that if there ever was tyranny, firearms would allow the citizens to be feared as citizens instead of viewed as slaves. It is the final way to protect liberty if it ever needed to be.

****crazy talk*******

In conclusion, you can speculate all you want but there is no data to back up these speculations. The FACTS remain that of the estimated 8 million concealed carriers in the US, there is no correlation to violent handgun crimes. The other FACTS are that states with very restrictive gun laws continue to have some of the highest handgun crime. You have no data or facts to back up your arguments, other than speculation based on ignorance of firearms in general. In the end, your ideas of making gun possession illegal will never work. There are people out there who would never go along with this, and it would literally spark the next civil war.

I'm an uneducated redneck, but I'm going to bring up those phony statistics again to say you and the "civilized world" are wrong. Gun control will not work because gun owners are violent and want a civil war.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    seriously though, I've had the best luck with, "I understand guns aren't for everyone and I'm cool with that. They can be dangerous and not everyone wants that responsibility in their hands, just like some people are scared to drive. I just want you to do me one favor, let me treat you to a day at the range with me. I'll pay for everything and make sure you're properly trained in safety and use of the firearm before we go. You may still decide you don't like guns at the end, but at least you'll have first hand experience with them. Many people have fear of guns because they don't know much about them, just like many people are scared the first time they get behind the wheel of a car. Let me give you some training so that the fear can be replaced with a healthy respect."

I've taken more than a few anti-gunners to the range. Some stick to their beliefs, others come around and buy a gun of their own. Basically all of them have a good time hanging out with me. It's easier to pitch a one-time experience to try something new and get more educated on a topic than to reverse years of disinformation that's been cemented in the back of their head somewhere. There's few words that can compare with the hands-on experience of actually firing a gun for the first time.

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    I find the friendly day-at-the-range approach works well the the undecided, but the real antis have their minds made up and are generally not worth arguing with. Unless you really enjoy the sneers and mockery, best just to tune them out. I'm just ornery enough that I sometimes enjoy winding them up and watching them spin. I find they react best to the simple "leave us alone or we will kill you" 'Three Percenter menacing act.

damionkarp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 9, 2012
    That's a cool idea! We should have an open house at ranges throughout the state. Invite the public to come to the range for a day of gun safety lessons concluding with an hour of shooting. We'll call it " Friendly Fire "... On second thought we might need a different name as friendly fire conjures up the image of people in the range turning and shooting each other. Sometimes my mouth gets three gears ahead of my mind. What should we call it.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    In my hyper "realist" mood this morning... :innocent0 If the current trend in America continues, we will indeed loose much of our 2A rights in the next 10 years. With the MSM in the pockets of the Anti's, the masses will just agree like sheeples "that sounds reasonable" and before you know it, we will only be "allowed" to have one firearm (Rifle), a limit of 3 round max capability.

oy, I don't drink, but maybe it's time to start... :D

streetdude

Oct 3, 2012
    sorry folks but the lessons we learned growing up about liberty, freedom & personal responsibility were all thrown on the trash heap of history tuesday. somkey0118 is correct we are all portrayed as uneducated rednecks with tinfoil hats.:tinfoil2:
    got Ag,Au,Pb?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The post is too long. If you are dealing with these people it needs to be in 5 sentences or less. No words over 6 letters.

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    In my hyper "realist" mood this morning... :innocent0 If the current trend in America continues, we will indeed loose much of our 2A rights in the next 10 years. With the MSM in the pockets of the Anti's, the masses will just agree like sheeples "that sounds reasonable" and before you know it, we will only be "allowed" to have one firearm (Rifle), a limit of 3 round max capability.

oy, I don't drink, but maybe it's time to start... :D

We aren't "losing" anything, because all the BoR does is order the government to stay off our lawn over rights we already possess. They might violate our rights more often, but violation is what it is. They can't take rights they didn't grant.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Great post but Teratos is right.

I've noticed from doing advocacy, we have at best 30 seconds to capture someone's attention.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    The post is too long. If you are dealing with these people it needs to be in 5 sentences or less. No words over 6 letters.

You mean one sentence, 5 words or less nothing over 6 letters don't you? :lol2:

Short sound byte. Short "tweet" or profound short phrases that can be quickly inserted in a conversation edgewise and easily remembered. That, followed up with inviting those 'close to the edge' of acquiescence a free trip to the range. :thumbsup:

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    You mean one sentence, 5 words or less nothing over 6 letters don't you? :lol2:

Short sound byte. Short "tweet" or profound short phrases that can be quickly inserted in a conversation edgewise and easily remembered. That, followed up with inviting those 'close to the edge' of acquiescence a free trip to the range. :thumbsup:

Now is this for us "rednecks" or the anti's? I jus wanna b sur i unnerstan kracktly. :lol2:

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    seriously though, I've had the best luck with, "I understand guns aren't for everyone and I'm cool with that. They can be dangerous and not everyone wants that responsibility in their hands, just like some people are scared to drive. I just want you to do me one favor, let me treat you to a day at the range with me. I'll pay for everything and make sure you're properly trained in safety and use of the firearm before we go. You may still decide you don't like guns at the end, but at least you'll have first hand experience with them. Many people have fear of guns because they don't know much about them, just like many people are scared the first time they get behind the wheel of a car. Let me give you some training so that the fear can be replaced with a healthy respect."

I'm an anti-gunner! :lol::lol2:

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    The best answer I've given anti's that they seem open to.

I'm not saying you have to carry a gun or like that I want to carry a gun. I'm asking you to accept that I want the CHOICE to carry. Wouldn't you like the ability to decide for yourself?

Usually works pretty well.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The average CCW more then likely does not have more "training" or "practice" then LEO.

The average CCW likesly does not fire their gun on a normal basis.

Of course there is no way to quantify that statement other then my own suspicions. On this forum you are 100% correct....but this is a gun forum. I'm guessing the majority of CCW holders in other states are not as much into the firearm "hobby" as you, I, and other members of this forum.

The vast majority of gun owners do not fire their firearms but a handful of times throughout ownership then the gun sits somewhere. I have no reason to believe that equation does not translate to the average CCW holder.

Just my thoughts...again no way to quantify it either way so it probably shouldnt be in your post as you use facts to defend other stances properly. That statement is a belief statement and is likely not factual.

And I agree...the best way to get an unrational gun hater to atleast understand is to take them to the range. All the numbers in the world wont change their mind because it's an unrational fear.

I took a pretty liberal friend shooting...at first she did not want anything to do with it and sat back as the group of use fired away. Once she was no one dying it peaked her interest. At the end she fired it and wanted to go again and was considering getting a firearm for the house. I dont think the latter happened and it's probably on me for not following up but at the end that's how you change someone's thoughts on the matter. Words arent going to do it IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom