• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dst

Jan 29, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Took the 2 new garands out to the range today.
    089.gif

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Update:

Tim must have received the gun no earlier than Friday and by Saturday evening I had an email saying it was ready to ship back, talk about fast service. He was very detailed about what he did to correct the problems I was having as well as very polite, he is even paying for the shipping both ways. I will give a range report when I have a chance to shoot it.

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    Who is Tim, I'm in training to become a gunsmith and will particuarally (sp?) involved with WWI rifles, and all pistols. Would like to contact him. I also have an M-1 and it looks even better than yours. Just don't have pics of it.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Who is Tim, I'm in training to become a gunsmith and will particuarally (sp?) involved with WWI rifles, and all pistols. Would like to contact him. I also have an M-1 and it looks even better than yours. Just don't have pics of it.

I'd love to see it at the next meet we have, I have grown to love the look and feel of these things. Tim is Tim Shufflin of shuffsparkerizing.com, he was recommended by another garand freak here and has turned out to be everything the person told me.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'd love to see it at the next meet we have, I have grown to love the look and feel of these things. Tim is Tim Shufflin of shuffsparkerizing.com, he was recommended by another garand freak here and has turned out to be everything the person told me.

Glad to here things are looking up!

I redid my field grade this weekend, and hope to have it ready for Thurmont on Saturday. I need to replace my handguards (turns out there is a 3" crack under the gunk on the front and the rear one is 1/8" short....) They should be in by thursday...

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    nice piece of history there wish i could afford the gun....and the ammo :thumbsup:

Assuming you can order from CMP (join GCA...Garand Collectors Association if you need to quickly meet the "membership requirement") and you can pick up a service grade for ~600 after shipping and all that goodness...you can then take it down to Fulton Armory and have them to a check on it...not too bad all things considered, and there is no transfer paperwork, no registration, no need for a FFL, it just shows up on a fedex truck.

also, for ammo from CMP, here is a link from their e-store for greek surplus for $134 (+shipping) for 480 rounds...not too shabby.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Just spent the day at the range shooting the new garand, ran like a swiss clock. I'm gonna love shootin this gun. Thanks to sleuth for lettin me shoot his 308 and 300 win mag.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    So you're happy? she's grouping tight?

We really need to get together and take em down to the range !!!

I'm very happy Dave! She wasn't shooting as tight as I would have liked but I think it might be me, matter of fact I'm almost positive it was me. I was so happy to be shootin it I wasn't really trying to get tight just minute of man. I sighted her in at 200 on the upper half of one of the silhouette targets and it was on the money. I think I'll have to practice with her a bit to get the groups to tighten up for me.

I'm available on Sunday if you wanna go out and shoot, I got some of the targets that we use for the military shoot as well so we can practice on those at the 100 if ya want.

Sleuth

Jul 8, 2008
    I appreciate all your instruction...Between you, Dan and Ron, how can I go wrong. My shoulder is still sore from that 300...lol

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I'm very happy Dave! She wasn't shooting as tight as I would have liked but I think it might be me, matter of fact I'm almost positive it was me. I was so happy to be shootin it I wasn't really trying to get tight just minute of man. I sighted her in at 200 on the upper half of one of the silhouette targets and it was on the money. I think I'll have to practice with her a bit to get the groups to tighten up for me.

I'm available on Sunday if you wanna go out and shoot, I got some of the targets that we use for the military shoot as well so we can practice on those at the 100 if ya want.

It could be the Ammo!

Sleuth

Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks for letting me shoot it, now I want one, not only does it look Great, it shoots Great...

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I appreciate all your instruction...Between you, Dan and Ron, how can I go wrong. My shoulder is still sore from that 300...lol

You mean you actually thought I knew what I was talkin about?:lol2: I'm a better bullshitter than I thought.:D

Thanks for letting me shoot it, now I want one, not only does it look Great, it shoots Great...

Yeah, it's your fault my new .308 is gettin put together, that sure is a nice .308 ya got there! That day of shootin is costing me dearly.

timshufflin

Aug 17, 2008
    Jerome, MI
    I see Tim Shufflin is now registered here, figured this might be a good thread to say hello in.

Welcome Tim!:)

Thanks for the welcome sir. Glad you didn't give up on me when I failed you. I like to do things right the first time but if it takes twice I guess it will have to be twice. This board has quite a flavor to it. Can you all even hunt with the M1 garand in Maryland? In Michigan we can as long as it's north of Midland. That leaves a LOT of territory for rifle hunting. Some asked some questions about your rifle 3rdRcn that I would like to offer more answers to if I could. 3rRcn's rifle is ALL USGI Springfield Armory, the real ones, parts. It has a trigger pull of, trying to remember here, about 4Lbs 13ozs. The barrel is a NOS SA which was never fired until I proof fired it for him upon his permission.

The reason this rifle doubled was entirely my fault. When I received the rifle back from 3rdRcn the trigger weight was dangerously close to 4Lbs. This is to light and it should not have been that light. There must have been a filing, burr or other debris on the sear when I tested it and I had the initial reading over 4.5Lbs. I could not make the rifle double but I don't have the finger finesse of some:o I just added some trigger poundage back on and whala. The barrel shooting high is something that can happen. Not often but it does. Rear sight just has to be lowered to make up for it by grinding the lower portion of the app. Now I sound like I'm making excuses so I'll shut up.

I'm just glad this man is happy. You all have a super day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom