My new Savage MkII TR from 2A Sales (initial reaction)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    New Savage MkII TR from 2A Sales (initial reaction) **PIC added**

Pics will follow once I have a bipod and scope installed.

I walked into 2A on Monday, at lunchtime, and walked out with the Savage MkII TR in .22lr, grinning from ear to ear.
    The ones 2A carries are an exclusive offering from one distributor which feature a 1/2-28 threaded barrel for any "muzzle devices" you may wish to install.

I am finding these firearms with the black oxide matte finishes are really dirty from the factory, (all brands) so it got a thorough scrub down.
    I noticed very little plastic on this rifle, all parts are metal, no plastic trigger housings and such, none that I could detect.

The bolt was a little bit sticky, so I soaked it in CLP and used a toothbrush on it. (man it's gonna taste terrible when I brush my teeth in the morning) :D
    The bolt is better now that it's been cleaned and lubed, but it may need some polishing to make it silky smooth.
    I cycled it about 50 times while it was soaked with CLP, removed, wiped it off, and re-installed. Much better.

From the factory they seem to set the Accu-trigger on the lighter side, so that will stay "as is" until the shooting begins.
    It comes with a small trigger adjust tool for turning a small pin which changes spring tension. Nice trigger for a stock rifle.

Found a write up on-line, and so far I concur with what was written, I have the same impression as the writer.
    You know sometimes they sugarcoat reviews to boost sales, but I have to say this one is spot-on now that the rifle is 'in hand'.
    Savage TR Review

Check those test targets in the link above. schweeet! :bannana:

The review above was quite revealing in that the stock on this Savage MkII TR is made by Boyd's, it's a laminated stock, with a textured coating.
    You would think it's a polymer looking at it, so this is another pleasant surprise.

The barrel is fully free floated. I wrapped a dollar bill around the bore and was able to slide it all the way up to the chamber area. nice.

So far I give the MKII TR a big thumbs up. :thumbsup:
    Considering all of the features, this Savage has got great Value-for-the-Dollar written all over it.

Once a scope and a bipod are installed I'll get pics and report back with accuracy. I think this rifle will be a winner. :rockon:

Last edited:

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I picked up a 93R17 TR in .17HMR 2 weeks ago form 2asales, the only thing it didn't have was the threaded barrel. Mine was pretty filthy from the factory as well. I did the same thing, soaked in CLP and cleaned with brush. Bolt was much better after I did that. I haven't had a chance to go shooting yet though, but I have high hopes for it. :D I also picked up a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 with Adjustable Objective while I was there. Was thinking about getting a bipod for it at some point.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I have been very pleased with mine and find that as long as I do my part the rifle is a tack driver. :party29: This rifle has moved into the "Will never get rid of" category for me.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    herr.baer, Thanks, glad to hear the postive report.

JDove, yes, Bipod is on my short short list for this one. :thumbsup:
    6"x9" BRS

Saw a Caldwell brand (cough cough, China) today at @ssPro shop, $39.99, but it didn't swivel.
    I have the Swivel on my SPS, I think I'd miss it if I didn't get another.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border

If you are bench shooting, the 9" x 13" might be a tad too tall, even at the 9" setting.
    I have the 6" to 9" on my Rem SPS tactical and it's the right height for bench shooting. YMMV

OK, got a cheap scope lent to me, so tossed it on there for now.
    Swapped the Harris from my SPS Tac to the Savage. Here it is:

dsc01612s.jpg

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    If you are bench shooting, the 9" x 13" might be a tad too tall, even at the 9" setting.
    I have the 6" to 9" on my Rem SPS tactical and it's the right height for bench shooting. YMMV

dsc01612s.jpg

+1 on the height. I have a 6" - 9" on mine and hardly ever user the 9" setting and that is prone.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010

dsc01612s.jpg

Nice!:) Probably right about the height. Extended out to 9" probably long enough for when I want to use it for pesky vermin:evilgrin3

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Sighted in the TR yesterday. Zeroed it at 25 yards using Standard Velocity ammo.

It was super hot & muggy yesterday.
    I was all about setting the Zero and getting back into the AC.

I'll post a pic of a group next time I take it out back.
    Let me just say this Savage will shoot a very tight group.

A can on this Savage TR is gonna rock! :rockon:

outofthegame

May 21, 2010
    "The ones 2A carries are an exclusive offering from one distributor which feature a 1/2-28 threaded barrel for any "muzzle devices" you may wish to install."
    Them again...they are around here somewhere...

Now I see it is in their forum...

Last edited:

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Yes, it comes already threaded.

I just did a little trigger work today, a good thing to do indoors during this oppressive heat.
    The trigger is already pretty nice off the shelf, now I have it really nice. :bannana:

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Went to the range and did some more scope adjusting, it's getting a little closer.

This was with plain-jane CCI MiniMags. 5 rounds, all touching.

dsc01626g.jpg

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    Went to the range and did some more scope adjusting, it's getting a little closer.

This was with plain-jane CCI MiniMags. 5 rounds, all touching.

dsc01626g.jpg

Yep mine loves the Mini-Mags, was more accurate with them than the Wolf match, or anything else for that matter. BTW it can do the same thing at 50 and 100 yards. (if there is no is no wind :) Gonna be a long wait to get the Spectre on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom