• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    This afternoon I picked up my new M&P9 with some upgrades installed by Grant at G&R Tactical. It has an apex DCAEK installed, as well as an Ameriglo Proglo front sight and serrated rear sight. Mark at 2A sales did the transfer for me, and as always was a pleasure to deal with. I sold my Jericho in order to get a pistol with aftermarket support as well as lighter weight and having night sights of some sort. Apologies for the pictures, my iPhone was all I had at the moment.

P54446602.jpg

P54446201.jpg

P54445700.jpg

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I want a Apex trigger but can't decide on the duty or the competition for my M&P9fs.
    Someone put a bug in my ear that if I ever used the comp. trigger in a self defense situation that it would be used against me.

Where is G&R Tactical? I need a front sight installed too.

Nice choice and enjoy.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I want a Apex trigger but can't decide on the duty or the competition for my M&P9fs.
    Someone put a bug in my ear that if I ever used the comp. trigger in a self defense situation that it would be used against me.

Where is G&R Tactical? I need a front sight installed too.

Nice choice and enjoy.

I'm not sure how it could "be used against [you]" But I wouldn't put the competition one in a carry/defense gun due to how light it makes the trigger pull. G&R is in Ohio. grtactical.com is their website. I bought the whole pistol with everything installed on it already. You could probably just send it to Apex to have them do the work.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    Very nice! Hopefully my DCAEK will show up tomorrow from midway. I like the M&P 9 a lot so the better trigger will just sweeten the deal. I also opted for the new VTAC sights so we'll see how those work out.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I just got the Apex DCAEK & RAM kit........my buddy Robb is installing them in my M&P 9 Pro on Thursday. :D

I still shoot my P226 better but I'm sipping the M&P Koolaide :innocent0

Nice Pistole Brother

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Oh, I should mention this thing weighs NOTHING compared to the Jericho... That was over 2lbs unloaded.

Not sure what a Jericho weighs, but I often go from my M&P to a steel 1911. That takes the brain and arms a few rounds to get adjusted.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Nice choice! :party29: Love my M&P9. Just installed the CompAEK as well as flat back/fiber front sights, and love it even more. I'm not too worried about the light trigger pull, as there is still a fair amount of take-up before the break.

By the way; Good luck finding mags! Everyone seems to be out of them, and I could use two more. If you find any, please let me know.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Looks great. I bought the Apex hard sear, USB, and RAM as they came out, but never bought the spring kit...I like the feel as-is, pretty light, but I don't feel like I'll accidentally pull it. If I needed another one, I'd probably buy the complete kit deal.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Where are the pink backstraps?

You're not a real man, are you? :)

J/K

I just can't bring myself to be as manly as you :P

Not sure what a Jericho weighs, but I often go from my M&P to a steel 1911. That takes the brain and arms a few rounds to get adjusted.

With an unloaded mag, the Jericho comes in at a hair under 35 oz., a springfield mil-spec is 39 oz unloaded. Funny moment last night when I brought it home, I let my girlfriend heft it, and told her "now this is very light, but you're going to tell me it's heavy, just like when I handed you a T1 on a LaRue mount and told you it was light and you thought it was heavy" and she held it, and said "no, you're right, this is actually pretty light."

One of the nicest handguns on the market for the price IMHO. Congrats.

Thanks. I'm also out of 40 and into 9mm, which should be more economical and gentler on my girly wrists :P

bs911

Dec 14, 2010
    Very nice. I have a new M&P .40 and just had my second range outing this weekend. Well... by range I mean my dad's property in PA popping some steel plates. What a fun shooter. Don't think I posted this here yet, but for the people on the fence about the Apex kit in an M&P, DO IT... doit. Here are my results, and pull weights (Lyman digital trigger gauge) and observations.

1. Out of the box... no reading. (sorry but I got to work too fast)

2. Partial Burwell trigger job. Polished the trigger bar assembly contact points. Made the trigger feel more smooth but not really what I would call lighter and is also going to match original pull weight = 7 lbs 8oz.

3. Installed Apex USB. Made no difference in actual pull weight but eliminated the mid trigger pull "click" to get the factory striker block engaged. This made a HUGE difference in the overall feel of the trigger to me. Pull weight still 7 lbs 8oz. If you don't like the extra mechanical "stuff" throughout the trigger pull, this alone is a great mod.

4. Installed Apex hard sear. Breaks VERY lightly now and eliminated the barrel "jump" to the right on the sear break, EXACTLY like the video on Apex's website claims. Pull weight = 4lbs 8oz.

5. Installed Apex sear spring included in the Duty/Carry spring kit. Pull weight = 4lbs 12oz.

6. I did feel that with the hard sear installed but the factory trigger spring it was VERY light... too light for my purposes. Installed Apex trigger spring included in the Duty/Carry spring kit. Pull weight = 5lbs 14oz.

End result, a totally different trigger feel. Instead of a rather light trigger pull with a heavy sear break at the end, it is a slightly heavier overall trigger pull with a very light break at the end... if that makes sense. Smooth all the way back. No grit, no other "things" getting in the way, and a nice clean, crisp break. So there ya go. Hope this helps. FYI, if you have a decent set of drift punches and aren't afraid of working with little springs and bits, this about a 30 minute job. Maybe 60 if taking your time and being meticulously slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom