• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Would this be a good gun to hunt deer in MD?

It's a little underpowered, but certainly within 200m it would more than do the trick... it's the farther shots that become more problematic.

The 7.62x39 drops off pretty badly past 200m (bullet drop is 1.6 ft at 250m, and only 7 inches at 200m), and its lost 2/3's of it's energy at 300m

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    It would be a handy woods gun for deer. But like the above post i wouldnt shoot more than 200yds at the extreme and would try to keep it to within 125yds off hand. I have killed a couple deer with an sks and it did a fine job.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Great little gun..I bought one of the Remington 799's in 7.62x39 a while back. A great feeling gun to shoulder as well. Going to top it with a compact 3-9 scope since its so short. Should make a great tree stand gun..

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Great little gun..I bought one of the Remington 799's in 7.62x39 a while back. A great feeling gun to shoulder as well. Going to top it with a compact 3-9 scope since its so short. Should make a great tree stand gun..

I have a standard 4x on mine and it works great. Still have some feeding issues but working those out (mag spring was a little wonky). Shame they quit importing these, but I suspect they will be back at some point.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since I love CZ rifles you get a pass for not having feet in your pics.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    the extractor screams "im from a 1903 springfield!"

...even though that bolt design was stolen from the mouser...but whatever...

It doesn’t scream 1903 Springfield. The US Government had to pay royalties on the 1903 Springfields because they were Mauser copies. It screams Mauser!

Makings of a good scout rifle.

Quite a few possibilitis for the scope set up

Enjoy

I’m not a fan of scout type rifles, I just never saw the point but one of these with a scout rail and a red dot would be a blast.

It's a little underpowered, but certainly within 200m it would more than do the trick... it's the farther shots that become more problematic.

The 7.62x39 drops off pretty badly past 200m (bullet drop is 1.6 ft at 250m, and only 7 inches at 200m), and its lost 2/3's of it's energy at 300m

7.62X39 is about the same as the 30-30 in the power. Get some Federal 123gr soft points and head to the woods.

Walt

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    I have the same rifle and have taken several deer with it. I have only shot Wolf 123gr HP and the winchester 123gr corelock. The thing is a tack driver with both rounds. I love the gun it has very little recoil and fun to shoot.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Please give it a try. See if you get the same results.

I will - thanks. I have som Yugo, some steel Tula, some PPU brass, and some Fiochhi brass. I'l try and hunt down some Federal and WInchester as well.

My best 5 shot group ever was about 2 inches at 100 yards. Hand loads of course.

That's good enough for me! Now I'm really curious what factory ammo can do..

Like CZ handguns, their rifles ship with a "test" target. This says it's from 50 meters:

Attachments

• cz.JPG
      cz.JPG
      48 KB · Views: 217

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I've been looking at that rifle now for a few years, strictly sort range shot and target shooting (100 yards). What’s the deal with using steel case ammo in that? I know it’s not going to be as accurate, but is the bullet diameter going to be an issue?

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I've been looking at that rifle now for a few years, strictly sort range shot and target shooting (100 yards). What’s the deal with using steel case ammo in that? I know it’s not going to be as accurate, but is the bullet diameter going to be an issue?

Below are some test target at 100 yds. Wolf was terrible and Chinese steel core not much better.

Last edited:

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    wow, that wolf target is all over the place. I though it was bad but didn't think it was THAT bad. Has anyone ever tested Golden Tiger? Not that it would be any better just interested.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I didn't realise that centerfire could be that much less accurate than even the cheapest 22lr, I guess part of me always assumed that the bigger bullets and more cost just led to more accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom