My new 1911A1. Got some questions for you guys.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackalope

Just got back from the range and putting 200 rounds down the barrel and I noticed a couple things that maybe some of you could clear up for me, this is my very first brand new gun ever so I don't know if its right or not. The first probly 50 rounds were all over the place! I mean I never missed the target but at 25 feet it looked like I let loose with a shotgun! After that it seemed to start to get a decent grouping to it though it shoots low to the left but I'm ordering new adjustable night sights for it so I'm not too worried about that.

Anyway my questions are is it normal for the rounds to all over the place like that? Also when I got home and field stripped it to clean it MY GOD it was FILTHY!!! I mean way worse then my Luger ever has been, even after 500 rounds at the range the Luger was NEVER that dirty. Is this just cause its new or is the .45 just a dirty gun?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Stupid question, but did you clean it before you shot it? Some guns come filthy or overly oiled from the factory.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    no.. not normal.. but it comes back to the shooter.

you said this is your first.. have you shot before? with 1911? maybe you.. grip.. trigger pull doing it. not the gun itself.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Did you clean it before you shot it? All new guns I've bought were filthy. What ammo did you use? WWB is pretty dirty if that's what you used. Never had trouble with it though.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Both my Springfield and Remington 1911's were pretty much spot on out of the box. But I did have an issue with an AR upper like this, but only for the first 30 or 40 rounds until it finally came around and starting grouping pretty good.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Low left is typical of jerking a trigger on a 1911 (actually any handgun). You may want to consider some dry fire exercises, and watch what your sights are doing when you squeeze the trigger.

A REALLY good article Id recommend is from Masaad Ayoob. Read it here. It is an excellent article, that every handgunner should read. He shows some tips using the 1911 - but this could apply to any pistol.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Try some of the tips before you condemn the pistol. I personally like to rest fire a gun on a legit pistol rest, if Im in doubt that the sights are off. Sandbags work to a degree. If your testing a wheelgun - dont even use sandbags - you'll burn a hole in them sending sand flying everywhere (or back in your eyes)

Some guns are dirty when new - because they are test fired at the factory- for either function or to produce a spent case for regulations.

Im guessing you probably were shooting Winchester White Box out of that 1911? Thats some dirty ass ammo!

Jackalope

Yes I field stripped it and cleaned it when I first brought it home and lightly oiled it just as I do my Luger. This isn't my 1st time shooting a 1911 as my dad had 2 but both were Colts I rented a RIA a couple weeks back to see if I liked it and that one shot just fine. I haven't had an issue with my Luger shooting low to the left but it very well could be me and just getting to know the feel of the new gun. And yes it was white box Winchester I was using but my Luger has never gotten this dirty, but then the .45 does have alot more powder then a 9mm (235 grain vs. 115 grain)

Thanks for the tips but I'm certainly NOT gonna give up on it thats for sure!

My buddy was supposed to meet me at the range but had something come up so he couldn't make it. Trigger pull feels smooth but again it may just need to break in a little more, not as smooth as my Luger but its also not 99 years old ;).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Where do you live? I'd be happy to meet you if convenient. Pretty sure i could square you away. The pistol is fine.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The guns likely fine, sounds like it's shooter issue.

Powder charge between 9mm and .45 isn't that diff't (9mm can actually hold more powder than .45 loads depending on projectile), just the weight of the projectile itself.

WWB is some dirty stuff, you may want to try some other brands and weights.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It would be hard to say why you are shooting shotgun groups with a 1911. There could be multiple reasons why that would happen.. 99% would be shooter induced. Did you try benchresting the gun on a solid rest? that should really tell you if its the gun or you.

As for the dirt... Yup, it does that with some brands of ammo. Also , the Luger's toggle actions is totally different from the browning's tilting barrel design. The Luger tends to stay cleaner with less powder being burnt and a much more open design. ( No slide to capture soot, just like an AK without a rear cover :) 230 grain or 115 grain also refers to the weight of the projectile itself, Not the amount of powder. ( let Brad custom load you a 45 ACP cartridge with 230 grains of powder. That in itself is a small IED)
    As for comparing a 1911 to a P08 Luger.... like Apples to Oranges.

Shoot the 1911 more.. it will take about 400 rounds to break it in.. then everything runs a bit smoother and cleaner.

Jackalope

That's bullet weight not powder weight though.

facepalm111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom