• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Thought it would make more sense to bring this back up than start a new thread.

What do owners think of the M10X? I'm selling my VZ58 and all of its mags, wanted to get a different M43-cal rifle.

If it does indeed perform as well as reviews seem to indicate, I'm concerned that the only thing keeping this rifle afloat and serviceable is one small company... How much of the internals are M10X-specific vs. compatible with an AKM? Seemed like the whole BCG is custom... Barrels? Consumable parts (extractors, etc.)?

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Thought it would make more sense to bring this back up than start a new thread.

What do owners think of the M10X? I'm selling my VZ58 and all of its mags, wanted to get a different M43-cal rifle.

If it does indeed perform as well as reviews seem to indicate, I'm concerned that the only thing keeping this rifle afloat and serviceable is one small company... How much of the internals are M10X-specific vs. compatible with an AKM? Seemed like the whole BCG is custom... Barrels? Consumable parts (extractors, etc.)?

Had to send mine back twice to fix issues and then had to send the charging handle back when it flew apart at
    the range.
    Mag lock up is tight , probably too tight making fast magazine changes a challenge.
    I think the price has come down on the M10X but I would buy the CMMG Mk47 Mutant first.
    I own both, the Mutant is a tank and has always run 100% for me.

Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Just want to post a slight counter-point to Straightbolt: I still own my M10X and it hasn't given me trouble with the exception of the bolt handle striking the receiver cover which made the rifle pull left with each shot. That made recovery a tiny bit slower, but for slower rates of fire, not a big deal.

M+M recalled it and took care of it on their dime. Great people, but slow turnaround.

I enjoy the accuracy and novelty, it has been reliable for me, but wouldn't recommend it as a fighting option. Basically, it's like a weekend car, I don't use it regularly, but I do take it out once in a while because it's fun.

I shot Straightbolt's Mutant and enjoyed that too. The Mutant felt lighter/balanced and had a more gentle recoil. We shot them back to back and I also favored the Mutant over the M10X. I recently read that some folks have had issues with their Mutants. Seems nothing can top an AK or SKS in this caliber.

I'll add that I've built a PSA KS47 and I think I may like that better than the Mutant. It is lighter and recoil is very soft and it takes many standard AR accessories, if you like dressing up your rifles as I do.

Bottom line, I own a few things in 7.62x39 now, and if push comes to shove, it's the SKS all the way. Just one man's opinion.

Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    And to answer CodeWarrior's question, the M10X shares magazines, trigger, hammer, springs, and pistol grips with the AKM. I think that's about it.

IMHO, were I in your shoes, I'd keep the vz58. Speaking of which, I don't see it in the Classifieds. How much are you asking? :-D

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Well, I was going to sell the VZ to a coworker, but am now rethinking it... I too treat M43-cal stuff as a fun way to put a lot of holes in paper or milk jugs for cheap.

All I'm trying to find is an M43 option with a split upper/lower that accepts AKM mags natively without problems. The ACE I've handled and not really a fan of the top cover, else that would be it. The Sig makes me uneasy for some reason, even the OEM didn't commit to it for long. If the VZ had a system that didn't require the handguard to be removed to remove/clean the piston it would be perfect, but then it wouldn't be short stroke most likely... I keep the red dot on the handguard and avoid side mounts.

Thanks for the info on the breakout of the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom