• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey
    I had been longing to step into a precision rifle project but didnt want to go broke doing it. I started off with a On sale Remington 700 sps tac in .308. Right away I knew the flimsy Hogue stock had to go. I replaced it with a B&C vert grip medalist stock.This stock is very solidly built and has full aluminum bedding.The only thing I wasnt crazy about was how square the foreend is on the other hand it makes it very sturdy when resting on sandbags of a bench.

Base Rings and glass,I went with Nightforce 20moa base and med knightforce rings. I was debating back and forth on what rings to get,I went with the knightforce based on alot of info read here, also in the future a piece of nightforce glass may grace this rifle. For glass I was up in the air Nikon,Bushnell,Burris,Leapold etc were all considered but I ended up going with a Falcon Menace 4x-18x 56mm.I had read alot on these scopes and the reviews were 50/50.I only had about 400 to spend on glass plus I knew that upgrading would eventually happen. I went with the falcon and it ended up being about 420 with shipping. I dont have alot of experience comparing scope glass but it seemed just as clear as my buddies Nikon but not quite Leapold quality but damn close by my eyes. IT has 1/4 moa adjustment turrets with 88 moa of elevation&windage. Also has parralx adjustment knob. This seems like a decent "tactical" scope for those that need to save a buck.

I also added a Karsten cheek piece to prevent the goosenecking I was doing to get a proper cheekweld.

I also wanted to get a badger ordanance bolt knob but I figured "hey I work in a machine shop,Ill make my own" so I did.

The first range day turned out fairly well absolutly no problems with the rifle. But I found out quick that I have alot to learn when it come to shooting.
    I purchased all matchgrade Blackhills,Federal,Lapua and Privi 168g.

I quickly foundout that this rifle outshoots me,average 3 shot groups would be well within an inch at 100yrds usually closer to 1/2". I found my self chasing the target,I had sevral shot groups where the 1st and 2nd shots would almost be the same hole and I would throw the 3rd. Basic fundamentals of marksmanship I was screwing up but I was happy having several 3 shot groups under 1/2moa. I was just excited to get out and shoot, next range trip will definatly be more geared toward what the rifle likes best and focusing on marksmanship. Of what was shot it definatly liked the Federal the best first time out.

When it come to precision Rifles Im definatly in the slow lane but Ive never had a better time at the range than shooting this rifle.Im defiantly gonna keep learning and reading.

Now on with the pics!!

sdc11085j.jpg

sdc11087.jpg

sdc11093.jpg

The Privi is the huge group
    The other is black hills
    sdc11095e.jpg

My reason behind being a cheapass
    editeddsw.jpg

(realtor info edited for persec reasons)

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    my favorite part:
    I also wanted to get a badger ordanance bolt knob but I figured "hey I work in a machine shop,Ill make my own" so I did.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    So....You gonna bring that out to the F class match Aug 2?

Great time, even if you have never shot out that far before...

gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey
    So....You gonna bring that out to the F class match Aug 2?

Great time, even if you have never shot out that far before...

I definatly want to get into shooting long range,Shooting this rifle was by far one of the best times Ive had at a range. I would love to get into some matches also but in due time...got some bad shooting habits I need to nix first. I wish I could come check out that match but the Marines have my ass for drill that weekend.

Thanks for all the positive comments!!

I met a fellow MDshooter at Hap Baker on sunday when I was there...Im really horrible with names,so naturally I forgot. It was nice to run into someone from the board though.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    oh oh.....another marine?.......:sad20:

Can't we come up with some more sailors that shoot...:D

never mind, I probably don't want an answer to that....:innocent0

Welcome Aboard!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Well done! I have the sps in 308 and can't wait to get a new stock under it. Your set up looks great!

Now please let me know when you want to machine me a bolt knob too, yours looks to have turned out great!

Ryan

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    oh oh.....another marine?.......:sad20:

Can't we come up with some more sailors that shoot...:D

never mind, I probably don't want an answer to that....:innocent0

Welcome Aboard!

ex GM here. But I have no clue on precision shooting. Would like to get into it though but I fear that I will have to be in Dan's more often.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    ex GM here. But I have no clue on precision shooting. Would like to get into it though but I fear that I will have to be in Dan's more often.

We have two bubbleheads that make the shoots kinda regular....

As it stands, amongst the mdshooters crowd, the marines have been beating the navy, the army has been beating the marines and the young lady has been beating us all.....

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008

As it stands, amongst the mdshooters crowd, the marines have been beating the navy, the army has been beating the marines and the young lady has been beating us all.....

If I can afford it, I will try to get a bolt action after I am done with the ARs. I will gladly take the designated squid position.

gen1runner

Mar 13, 2009
    Cecil-tuckey

Looks like I gotta recruit some buddies...that just cant be allowed...lol;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom