• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Yesterday I went to my FFL to do paperwork on a handgun that I have been searching for, for quite a while. This was my first purchase made using my HQL. I have made plenty of regulated purchases prior to October 1st. The first thing that I noticed was that the forms have changed. I also noticed that there is now extra paperwork to fill out. After jumping through the hoops required to get an HQL, I expected there to be less paperwork required to make a purchase, not more. While filling out the paperwork, I spotted a revolver that I could not live without. I filled out paperwork for that as well, since I am a designated collector. I stopped by my local FFLs again today. He pulled my "Not Disapproved" off of the fax machine. Less than 24 hours after submitting. I still have to wait the seven days to take my new toys home with me. So, I spend money having my fingerprints taken, fill out paperwork for a background check and pay the state for a card. This card allows me to fill out additional paperwork and then wait until I am allowed to exercise a right. Yep, makes sense to me.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    That just proves the point that the HQL serves no purpose for us. It allows us to pay more money so that MSP can process the BG check quicker, yet we must still wait. On top of that, they are still not caught up on pre-10/1 purchases.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I was thinking the same thing today as I filled out the paperwork for my "first" purchase using the dreaded HQL. You'd think being "pre-approved" would mean something. No - you still get to wait - which clearly demonstrate the purpose was not to simply vet buyers.

While I was filling out paper work a guy came in and asked "what's required to purchase a hand gun." The salesperson explained the procedure while the customer carefully listened, after which I am sure the customer went to Dicks and purchased a baseball bat and a few steak knives to protect himself and his family. :sad20:

That's what the GA has done to us. Split the community into those that can afford and those that cannot, and those that can navigate the regulatory process and those that cannot. The GA should be ashamed of themselves, yet they try to convince us its a good thing. It will take a while, but eventually the populas will have had enough, but it may not be until the bodies are being stacked in the streets and the stench is unbearable.

DaftPict

Aug 20, 2012
    Escaped to Hedgesville WV
    I also noticed the 'extra paperwork' when making my first handgun purchase since Oct 1. Half way through it was realized that the just released gun was not on the roster yet....
    so no dates on forms, fax to board on monday in time for this months meeting, then the LGS processes paperwork when it's legal. Looks like 3-4 weeks instead of 8 days for me :-(
    PS. it was a Walther PPQ M2 - 22lr
    All this hassle is making moving attractive!

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    I made my first HQL purchase today and did all the extra forms as well. I now have a card proving that I had a background check, just so I can fill out more forms for another background check. Oh and wait seven days.....

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

CZ4ME

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 12, 2014
    @DaftPict,

I noticed you stated that a purchase you made was not on the handgun roster and that you would have to wait an additional length of time while MSP evaluates.

So, I take it that you are filing a petition, did your FFL initiate it for you? The reason I ask is because I was going to purchase a Tisas 1911 A1 Classic, but noticed that it was different than the model listed on MSP Handgun registry. Which is crazy considering the 1911 platform..the only difference was finish, grips and it held one extra round 8 instead of 7.

So, I contacted MSP and they told me that I could petition to have it added to the list but I would have to submit the firearm to them. I told them that I don't have one, that's why I was asking if I could buy one.

Anyway, if I read your post correctly, I could purchase it and then have my FFL do the petition, and send the firearm to them for eval. Is that correct? What happens if they don't approve it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom