• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    Purchased my first gun this past saturday at the Gun and Knife Show at timonium fairgrounds from Just Guns Inc. I purchased a Taurus Model 82, 38 special, six shot revolver. I got it in the blued metal with wooden grips. It was a consignment item and I did not need a brand new gun for my first gun to be used for some target shooting and for home defense. I am in them middle of the waiting period so I do not have the gun yet but I found a picture online of what it looks like:

mygun.jpg

Has anyone here owned one before? Shot one before? what are your thoughts?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Nice looking wheelgun sir.

Some on this board gainsay Taurus, and their quality has slipped over the years, but this looks to be one of the older models (back when they actually cared a little) and it should be a fun gun to shoot.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Looks like their clone of the S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel.

As noted, some of Taurus's QC has slipped in recently. Hope this is a good one for you.

You might want to check Taurus's site to see if they approve of +P ammo. You might want to check your local Wal-Mart or Dick's for some Winchester or Federal ammo. Nothing fancy, just practice ammo for now.

BTW, how does someone from DE buy a handgun in MD? Military?

Something I suggest to every new gun owner, PLEASE get proper professional training. A mistake with a gun can be deadly.

Don't forget to get cleaning supplies.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    Looks like their clone of the S&W Model 10 Heavy Barrel.

As noted, some of Taurus's QC has slipped in recently. Hope this is a good one for you.

You might want to check Taurus's site to see if they approve of +P ammo. You might want to check your local Wal-Mart or Dick's for some Winchester or Federal ammo. Nothing fancy, just practice ammo for now.

BTW, how does someone from DE buy a handgun in MD? Military?

Something I suggest to every new gun owner, PLEASE get proper professional training. A mistake with a gun can be deadly.

Don't forget to get cleaning supplies.

My primary residence is in MD, I go to school in DE, the gun will be kept at my parents house in MD. I have been trained by my dad who is a police officer.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The current Model 82 series is +P approved.

Good to hear you are set on training.

If it is one of the good ones, it should should outlast you. Enjoy.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    The current Model 82 series is +P approved.

Good to hear you are set on training.

If it is one of the good ones, it should should outlast you. Enjoy.

thanks, i know the current series is but i have to ask them about this one. Im assuming the shop i bought it from would know this as well

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well, congrats on the purchase. I'm a big fan of .38's myself. I'm not a big fan of Taurus products, but many people are and thier revolvers seem to be better than thier semi autos, enjoy it.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    ^no idea yet, definately a shotgun of some kind. Then if I like the revolver I may go with the Taurus Judge because it takes shot shells. After that i plan on doing a rifle or a semi-auto handgun

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    ^no idea yet, definately a shotgun of some kind. Then if I like the revolver I may go with the Taurus Judge because it takes shot shells.

THAT would be a topic for serious debate if you'd like some input. Lots of threads around here about the Judge.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I have a remington 870 express, can be had brand new for under $300. I love it, has removable/replaceable chokes and can be used for a wide variety of shooting

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Then if I like the revolver I may go with the Taurus Judge because it takes shot shells.

Buy either a handgun or a shotgun, not a mutt. .410 shotgun is a master's gun, because the gun throws so little shot.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're looking for an all purpose shotgun, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 is a safe bet. Anything tactical, look at one of the Remington Police models or a Benelli M4 or the FN Semiauto.

Jim

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Don't get a Taurus Judge (at least not before you get a basic variety of non-novelty firearms first). Odds are you won't be happy with it. Get a basic general purpose shotgun, rifle, or handgun first. You know, something not too pricey that everyone agrees is good -- along the lines of a Savage 10 or 11 or 12, Remington 700, Marlin 795, Ruger 10/22, Remington 870, a Glock, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom