• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I grew up going to summer camp shooting a bow and arrow. It was a lot of fun, but not terribly accurate.

Boy, how technology's changed.

I wanted to hunt turkeys in the Fall with a bow, so I thought it was a good time to get a bow and start practicing.

I shot a few different models and ended up with a 2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo with a Spot Hogg Hunter 5 pin and a Hoyt Drop Away Ultra Rest. For a new archer, I'm surprisingly accurate with it. After some practice, I'll be more than ready for Fall.

IMG_20140507_070818_zpstjtmrwy5.jpg

IMG_20140507_070740_zpstqcwxuwu.jpg

IMG_20140507_070754_zpswbowzeew.jpg

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice bow! What is the poundage set on? How long, brace height?

What diameter are those arrows?

Since I'm new, I started low: 50lbs. I figure that's plenty for target and turkey, and even if I go to deer, 50lbs should still be enough. As I shoot and get more comfortable with longer distances, I'll probably turn it up to ~60lbs. I can always change the limbs and get up to 90 lbs ( :shocked4: ) if I want to hunt water buffalo or take down Godzilla.

The bow is 33" axis to axis with a 6" brace height. The arrows are Carbon Express Blue Streak Select 250, so 0.290".

danielw

Nov 4, 2008
    middle river md
    nice bow. I have an onida bow that I haven't shot in a few years. MS has taken it.s toll on me. I still hunt but with a black powder rifle or shot gun. I can't get around real good any more

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Get some string wax.

You will get penty of enjoyment out of that.

They gave me a tube of string wax (looks like a large chapstick) and showed me how to wax he strings. They told me that's really all the maintenance it needs. Just bring in in every season or two for a once-over, and I should be GTG.

It's scary how accurate it is, even for a beginner. They helped me sight it at 20 yards, and my third string of three shots were all dead center bulls eye in a triangle, vanes touching. The grouping (is there grouping in archery?) was probably < 1".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom