• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    My First AR is going to be something basic. A low end model from a manufacturer known for making reliable platforms. Not really sure who yet, and I'm not really sure it matters. No bull barrels, special coatings, piston uppers, trigger jobs, or fancy optics.

My First AR will not have anything upgraded or added to it until I have shot the living crap out of it. Once I know how to shoot this AR in pretty much every position known to man, understand how it functions as well as I know my own body, and see which parts are wearing more than others, then I'll consider "upgrading" parts.

My First AR will look like complete shit on the outside by the time I'm happy with it because it will have been used and abused throughout the process of learning how to shoot it, but to me that's just a sign of a reliable rifle and a well-practiced shooter. But it's innards will be perfect. Not pretty mind you, but perfect.

(Yes, in case you haven't figured it out, this is a thinly veiled rant about all the rookie shooters who want to know what "The Best" AR is, how to trick it out, which parts to get, etc. I've never owned an AR and I can tell you that's NOT how you go about doing it. END OF RANT.)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    given that you have never owned an AR, you might want to consider not giving advice on the subject matter. and hopefully all these 'rookie shooters' out there will consider your experience level in listening to your advice.

an AR is a grown up man's toy, lighten up and have some fun with them! being highly customizeable adds to their allure.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    given that you have never owned an AR, you might want to consider not giving advice on the subject matter. and hopefully all these 'rookie shooters' out there will consider your experience level in listening to your advice.

an AR is a grown up man's toy, lighten up and have some fun with them! being highly customizeable adds to their allure.

I did not take his post as advice.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    bunnypancake.jpg

Alaskacajun

Aug 30, 2011
    I just helped a guy build his first AR: Spike's stripped lower and complete Palmetto State Armory midlength kit. He brought the parts to where I work and 45 minutes later he was in his car driving to the LGS... where he traded the handguard and upgraded to a rail (UTG :sad20:) and added a BUIS (UTG :sad20:)... and ordered a NC Star red dot for it, plus a NC Star laser and NC Star bipod... :sad20:... He hasn't even shot that d**n thing yet, and all he has is 20 rounds of Remington 55gr HP's for it!

- Clint

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I understand his point, I just don't necessarily agree with it.

The beauty in the AR design is its modularity. This has allowed it to morph and evolve over time serving our military for the past 45 years. This modularity also allows an end user to configure the weapon to precisely fit their needs. From a physical stand point it promotes good form and consistent muscle memory. Sure you could run an AR straight out of the cardboard box it shipped in. If it fits your physique and needs that's great, but if it doesn't why on Earth should you settle?

Very few people buy a bicycle and leave the seat and handle bars at the factory preset heights. My philosophy is to set it up right the first time, buy quality parts and don't hang all kinds of Chinese crap off of it. Remember, their party leaders hate everything that rifle represents.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I understand his point, I just don't necessarily agree with it.

The beauty in the AR design is its modularity. This has allowed it to morph and evolve over time serving our military for the past 45 years. This modularity also allows an end user to configure the weapon to precisely fit their needs. From a physical stand point it promotes good form and consistent muscle memory. Sure you could run an AR straight out of the cardboard box it shipped in. If it fits your physique and needs that's great, but if it doesn't why on Earth should you settle?

Very few people buy a bicycle and leave the seat and handle bars at the factory preset heights. My philosophy is to set it up right the first time, buy quality parts and don't hang all kinds of Chinese crap off of it. Remember, their party leaders hate everything that rifle represents.

But, in order to know which "quality parts" make the most sense to put on, you need experience with the rifle and that's the part that I think a lot of people are skipping over. Obviously, I would adjust the sights, stock, etc. that came from the factory, but I wouldn't go swapping the sights or stock out with replacements parts right away. To use your example, how many people take a brand new bike and actually replace the seat and handlebars without ever riding it? I can't imagine many.

Keep in mind, this is a "first AR" scenario. If you know them inside and out already, build a new AR customized to your tastes and experience by all means. That's what experience is for, right?

Sorry for the rant. Just been one of those days. I tried to keep it at least semi-productive....

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    I don't have an AR yet either. I can say it will 100% USA!! I will start with a quality piece, treat it with respectful cleanings and maintenance and see where things go from there.

Oh! I'll start with quality ammo that the manual calls for. Not a little bit either.

You guys out there who have one. Which manufacturer do you feel has the best out of the box quality bare bones piece for the best price? I though I saw one of our forum members just advertise one for $750. Stag Arms I believe.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    My First AR is going to be something basic. A low end model from a manufacturer known for making reliable platforms. Not really sure who yet, and I'm not really sure it matters. No bull barrels, special coatings, piston uppers, trigger jobs, or fancy optics.

My First AR will not have anything upgraded or added to it until I have shot the living crap out of it. Once I know how to shoot this AR in pretty much every position known to man, understand how it functions as well as I know my own body, and see which parts are wearing more than others, then I'll consider "upgrading" parts.

My First AR will look like complete shit on the outside by the time I'm happy with it because it will have been used and abused throughout the process of learning how to shoot it, but to me that's just a sign of a reliable rifle and a well-practiced shooter. But it's innards will be perfect. Not pretty mind you, but perfect.

(Yes, in case you haven't figured it out, this is a thinly veiled rant about all the rookie shooters who want to know what "The Best" AR is, how to trick it out, which parts to get, etc. I've never owned an AR and I can tell you that's NOT how you go about doing it. END OF RANT.)

Check out Maui's thread on a budget AR for $500.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    >>Sorry for the rant. Just been one of those days. I tried to keep it at least semi-productive....

LOL. We ALL rant on here. :-)

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Lol.

"I want an AR and I want recommendations on which one to get but I'm going to rant about other AR owners while I'm at it." :lol2:

AR's are like Barbie dolls for men. Dress them any way you want and as long as your happy, that is all that matters. I like simple designs; free of all that extra shit people hang off their rifles like lazzzzers and cup holders. Sounds like a Colt Match Target Hbar is right up your alley.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You guys out there who have one. Which manufacturer do you feel has the best out of the box quality bare bones piece for the best price? I thought I saw one of our forum members just advertise one for $750. Stag Arms I believe.

That's open to personal preference right there, many maker's make a great out of the box piece that's going to be built well and hold up well for the vast majority of people that buy them.

Asking 'Who's best?' is going to go into a very lengthy and heated debate I feel, all have their pro's and cons, once your into a certain price range, IMO it's more of whose roll-mark do you like the best.

Only thing I'll say about Stag is, I have a few, and I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy another. Or to recommend them to someone looking to buy.

Last edited:

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Thanks. I agree with you. A person can only ask and evaluate. Once that is done they can make an educated decision based upon the responses from other member's experiences. One point for Stag Arms for me on what you have said.

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    I'm assuming your response was to Hopalong. I will be in the market for one in the near future. In you experience, if you have any ARs, which one do you like the best? BradMacc82 responded to my question and he is correct about indivudual opinions and fit. I still would like feedback from folks who own ARs. I'm really objective to all IMO responses. I also respect them and know it can be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom