• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Here it is... My new best friend. Specs, range report and upgrade wish list to follow.

1zv8l7q.jpg

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Thanks guys.
    OK, here is a quick and short version-

Specs:
    20" RRA predator SS bull barrel complete upper, Nikon Monarch scope, Larue scope mount, Harris bipod, and Magpul PRS stock- all purchased here from VNVGunner. LRB lower w/ CMMG lpk purchased here from LAX and transfer done by 2A sales in Jessup.
    +1 thanks again to all you guys for the deals- I love this thing! Stark grip, 20rd Pmags

Initial range report:
    I shot last Saturday at Delmarva clays and froze my ass off. It was 24 degrees and I forgot gloves. Still had a great time. I only put 40 rounds through it, I didn't shoot great, and I had some issues with it chambering rounds (I'll get to that in a separate thread).
    In the rifle's defense, I was shooting 55 grain wolf. In my defense, I'm out of practice and I was literally shivering. I still had a couple of 1 moa groups, but I know this rig will do sub-moa with the right ammo and if I do my job. No pics but will take some next time.

Wish list:
    Geiselle trigger (or other- any suggestions?)... stock trigger sucks.
    JP/VTAC handguard, BUIS's, competition (NM type) sling, cheap reflex sight co-witnessed on scope.

I hope this set up really becomes a tack driver, as I would like to participate in competitive shooting, but I have a lot of practicing to do...

Any suggestions, comments or critiques are welcome. I have very thick skin.

Lastly, thanks again to MRoneeyedboh for getting me back into shooting after 20+ years off, getting me back into AR's specifically, all the free ammo, and a coupla broken ribs.

PS. did you know that Mroneeyedboh's original screenname was "Mr I love one eyed albino pit viper" but he changed it cuz it took to long to type... hehehe

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Obviously something is wrong with your gun. Send it to me and I will dispose of it along with the ammo.

(someone had to say it! LOL)

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Rifle looks really nice. What kind of shooting competitions are ou looking to participate in?

I'm reading/trying to learn about the different types of competitions now but bases on my current understanding I can shoot hi power or national match with this rig and iron sights. Then when I finish my next upper (16" barrel normal profile) I could shoot service rifle and tactical carbine. I've read and learned slot on this forum and in your posts particularly. So any suggestions are much appreciated.

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Hit the range again today and got the chambering issue straightened out. I was shooting terrible though so still no pics... No groups worth showing. Will try again next weekend.

Went to 62grain this time and shot worse than last week with 55. Don't know if it was the ammo brand, grain, combo of both or just me not doing my job. Any suggestions on ammo to try for this particular upper are appreciated.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    What twist barrel does it have? With a 1 in 9 I'd only go to a 69, but with a 1:8 or 1:7 I'd go to the 77's. Only need the 80's for long range (600 yards). The rifle would qualify for highpower under the "match rifle" class, but would not qualify for service rifle, regardless of upper (service rifle must have the same external appearance as an "as-issued" rifle).

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    05dodgedaytona Very nice.
    lee2 nice looking rifle.

Thanks.

fa18hooker What twist barrel does it have? With a 1 in 9 I'd only go to a 69, but with a 1:8 or 1:7 I'd go to the 77's. Only need the 80's for long range (600 yards). The rifle would qualify for highpower under the "match rifle" class, but would not qualify for service rifle, regardless of upper (service rifle must have the same external appearance as an "as-issued" rifle).

Thanks for the info. It's 1:8 so I will try that in a few brands. As far as service rifle, I figured I could swap out the PRS for an A2 stock with just a screwdriver (I figured it's the same receiver extension-rifle length). Would that cover it or would a flip up front sight make it a no go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom