My facebook converstion with a liberal common friend.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    People need to speak out.

Exactly. If these uninformed people keep running their mouth, you might not have any rights left to defend.

Their view offends me therefore I don't care if mine offends them. As long as you keep it civil this type of discussion is a good thing.

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    lol. The Hughes amendment banned further registration of machine guns. There are still a fair amount of registered and transferable machine guns out there.

Yes, there are a fair number out there but you can't easily go buy new ones and they are HIGHLY regulated. I wasn't going to sit there and explain all of that. Then we'd get a call to go around and take those.

If they can be selective with wording, so can I.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Yes, there are a fair number out there but you can't easily go buy new ones and they are HIGHLY regulated. I wasn't going to sit there and explain all of that. Then we'd get a call to go around and take those.

If they can be selective with wording, so can I.

It's not really that much more regulated than a suppressor or a short barreled rifle. They're expensive.

Here's a fun fact: in the nearly 80 year history of the NFA, only two registered machine guns were ever used in a homicide. One of those homicides was perpetrated by a cop.

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    It's not really that much more regulated than a suppressor or a short barreled rifle. They're expensive.

Here's a fun fact: in the nearly 80 year history of the NFA, only two registered machine guns were ever used in a homicide. One of those homicides was perpetrated by a cop.

Thanks, I don't claim I'm an expert, I'm just tired of sitting around watching rediculous statements fly by my screen. I was refering to th 86 ban and yes, I knew they were still out there and legal but why give them more info than they need.

Neat fact Thanks. But i can hear it now:

But if we can save just one life...:rolleyes:

krztov

Jan 4, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I've schooled at least 2-3 friends and had one delete me, lots of people really do base their reactions on misinformation that gets spread around.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I've taken a few to school as well. And, I've lost a few "friends" over the argument. It's amazing how otherwise (seemingly) intelligent people can get all bent up in the emotional reaction that we need to "ban guns to save the children." It really is sad.

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    This isn't my first argument, I was just really pissed when I was done and had to vent, I figured where better than here. It is ongoing and I really don't care if I loose friends on this. A real friend would value my opinion not leave because I don't agree.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County

ME Glad we agree, select, burst and auto fire has been illegal for almost 30 years. Please look it up.

ME I explained no currently legal weapon is selective fire anywhere in the US.

[D

Actually gazingwa, in the interest of being completely accurate, full auto firearms are not illegal. They are heavily regulated but can in fact be owned by the public. In 1986 the government passed a law that created a cut off date to register full auto firearms. As long as the firearm was registered by 1986 you were good to go. What that did was effectively dry up the supply of full autos. That's why they are so expensive today ($3000-$25,000)

They only new full autos that can be manufactured today are for military / government use.

Just keeping our facts straight.

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    Actually gazingwa, in the interest of being completely accurate, full auto firearms are not illegal. They are heavily regulated but can in fact be owned by the public. In 1986 the government passed a law that created a cut off date to register full auto firearms. As long as the firearm was registered by 1986 you were good to go. What that did was effectively dry up the supply of full autos. That's why they are so expensive today ($3000-$25,000)

They only new full autos that can be manufactured today are for military / government use.

Just keeping our facts straight.

I appreciate that, please read below, it was already acknowledged. I knew the basics of this law and that older than 86 was okay. It was a response to the claim of selectable fire in current law by the person I was arguing against. I haven't shot a full auto myselft but my uncle and cousin back home(god I miss home except for the snow) rent one regularly.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    IMO, a percentage (be it a small one) of the anti gun crowd knows they're wrong. I think they are TERRIFIED to admit that mass shootings happen and NOTHING can be done to completely stop it.

Convincing them that there are ways to deter it and counter it would be a GREAT step forward.

As far as "Ban guns to save the children" goes...I hate to say it but, no one person is more important than individual freedom.

Flame away.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    We should ban swimming pools to save children.

If we can just save one life, a child is 10 times more likely to drown in a pool then to be shot by a firearm, you know it's for the children.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    We should ban swimming pools to save children.

If we can just save one life, a child is 10 times more likely to drown in a pool then to be shot by a firearm, you know it's for the children.

I've been pushing for this for about a month now.

I've NEVER heard of a pool saving a life. We have air conditioning now. They don't have a purpose in today's society. And you don't even have to get training or a permit before getting one!!!!

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    People need to speak out.

Correct. Be polite, but call out the ******** whenever it pops up. There is no reason to cower for fear of offending the other side. Take the high road in the argument, but do not allow ******** to pass as fact.

I might lose some "real world" friends because I have decided to take this stance. Fine. I have no respect for people that embrace falsehoods and get pissed when facts are presented.

Everyone can have their own opinion, but it better be based on facts. That's not me paraphrasing the quote, that's my view on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom