• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    Having been in business for 30 years doing high security work in D.C., I can tell you that a lot of what you see as businesses are actually fronts for government operations. Saying that, you have probably been within the prohibited zones many times and never knew it! As stated above, concealed means concealed. Who would ever know if you are carrying or not?

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Could you please elaborate on this?
    There is entire rock Creek Park (the largest by far Fed Property in DC) except facilities (just like Florida, Maine, Alaska, etc), all of the National Mall except facilities, all the medium and small parks in DC that are actually National park. It is legal to carry there. (It s also legal to carry in DC municipal parks).
    @rascal While I appreciate your replies, I don't appreciate your tone. There is no need to be rude.
    We are not being rude, we are being firm in the face of multiple incorrect claims you categorically made on
    -1,000' of school issue,
    -national mall issue,
    -concurrent charge of pistol license violation together with violation and carrying without a permit charge.

The latter is a new question, but the former two are long discussed here, you could have searched before making statements that have been categorically debunked over and over for five or six years now.

It is harmful to repeat debunked falsehoods. it is OK if you have no expertise in gun law, that is fine, but you should have asked what carry rules were, not made false statements.

Why? Because we had lots of very unstudied claims, even people publishing here the asinine John Lott map making outright false claims about prohibited areas. You just had to take a look at prior discussions here on absurd claim that the penalty enhancement for committing a crime like mugging someone while carrying, or shooting someone, within 1,000 feet of a school while licensed carrying had nothing to with your general ability to licensed carry 1,000' from a school when not shooting someone. This is also the case with misinformation we have long tried to stop concerning National parks in DC.

I live in a school zone in DC and traffic violations are subject to an enhanced penalty provision of doubling of penalties. Do you think it means all licensed drivers are disallowed from ever driving within 1,000' of the school?

Franky I think we'd like to know who your carry permit instructor was so we can recommend people avoid them since they clearly gave out lots of patently false information.

As far as your "clarification" on the charge of "pistol licensed violation" where you quoted "Makhetha" and stated : "So this confirms those charges means the individual DID have a DC CP"

I found dozens of examples of charge of "pistol licensed violation" where arrestee was also charged with carrying whiteout a license. I gave examples of persons charged with both:
    A Glock 30 .45 caliber handgun was recovered in the 3700 block of 10th Street, Northwest. The following person was arrested: 27-year-old xxxxx xxxxxx, of Northwest, D.C., for Carrying a Pistol without a License, Pistol License Violation, and Consumption of Marijuana in a Public Space Prohibited. CCN: 23-098-675
    A Taurus .38 caliber revolver was recovered in the 7000 block of Seventh Street, Northwest. The following person was arrested: 30-year-old xxxxxx xxxxxx, of Northwest, D.C., for Carrying a Pistol without a License, Distribution of Marijuana while Armed, and Pistol License Violation. CCN: 22-152-375

If you want to get into possible why plenty of people are charged with both "Carrying a Pistol without a License" and "Pistol License Violation" One possible reason: This may have to do general concern by US attorney that additional aspects of DC carry law will be overturned at some point, making -- in future -- prior charges and convictions of carrying without a license set aside, and thus they charge both. In case one is overturned.

Keep in mind DC is denying, citing regulations promulgated by Chief, both carry and even just regular old registration to people who have arrests but no criminal convictions whatsoever. If you had a certain number of arrests four years ago for certain crimes, and charges were dropped, or even if you were found not guilty, and never once in your life convicted of any crime, you can be denied in DC based on arrest pattern. If that is effectively challenged in certain ways it could affect prior carry without a permit convictions of lots of people. Now we don't know exactly why they are double charging, but contrary to citing some non expert from MPD, they certainly are charging both often.

Look I assume your good faith. but PLEASE, we are walking a line here for years between critiquing DC draconian and often unconstitutional gun laws, but also not intimidating potential gun owners/CCLP applicants by exaggerating/misstating them.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    There is entire rock Creek Park (the largest by far Fed Property in DC) except facilities (just like Florida, Maine, Alaska, etc), all of the National Mall except facilities, all the medium and small parks in DC that are actually National park. It is legal to carry there. (It s also legal to carry in DC municipal parks).

We are not being rude, we are being firm in the face of multiple incorrect claims you categorically made on
    -1,000' of school issue,
    -national mall issue,
    -concurrent charge of pistol license violation together with violation and carrying without a permit charge.

The latter is a new question, but the former two are long discussed here, you could have searched before making statements that have been categorically debunked over and over for five or six years now.

It is harmful to repeat debunked falsehoods. it is OK if you have no expertise in gun law, that is fine, but you should have asked what carry rules were, not made false statements.

Why? Because we had lots of very unstudied claims, even people publishing here the asinine John Lott map making outright false claims about prohibited areas. You just had to take a look at prior discussions here on absurd claim that the penalty enhancement for committing a crime like mugging someone while carrying, or shooting someone, within 1,000 feet of a school while licensed carrying had nothing to with your general ability to licensed carry 1,000' from a school when not shooting someone. This is also the case with misinformation we have long tried to stop concerning National parks in DC.

I live in a school zone in DC and traffic violations are subject to an enhanced penalty provision of doubling of penalties. Do you think it means all licensed drivers are disallowed from ever driving within 1,000' of the school?

Franky I think we'd like to know who your carry permit instructor was so we can recommend people avoid them since they clearly gave out lots of patently false information.

As far as your "clarification" on the charge of "pistol licensed violation" where you quoted "Makhetha" and stated : "So this confirms those charges means the individual DID have a DC CP"

I found dozens of examples of charge of "pistol licensed violation" where arrestee was also charged with carrying whiteout a license. I gave examples of persons charged with both:

If you want to get into possible why plenty of people are charged with both "Carrying a Pistol without a License" and "Pistol License Violation" One possible reason: This may have to do general concern by US attorney that additional aspects of DC carry law will be overturned at some point, making -- in future -- prior charges and convictions of carrying without a license set aside, and thus they charge both. In case one is overturned.

Keep in mind DC is denying, citing regulations promulgated by Chief, both carry and even just regular old registration to people who have arrests but no criminal convictions whatsoever. If you had a certain number of arrests four years ago for certain crimes, and charges were dropped, or even if you were found not guilty, and never once in your life convicted of any crime, you can be denied in DC based on arrest pattern. If that is effectively challenged in certain ways it could affect prior carry without a permit convictions of lots of people. Now we don't know exactly why they are double charging, but contrary to citing some non expert from MPD, they certainly are charging both often.

Look I assume your good faith. but PLEASE, we are walking a line here for years between critiquing DC draconian and often unconstitutional gun laws, but also not intimidating potential gun owners/CCLP applicants by exaggerating/misstating them.
    Here’s the law for the National Mall:

(10) The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency or entity, including U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds;

Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law makes possession of firearms in national parks subject to local and state firearms laws.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit the District of Columbia’s website.

…..

Federal law continues to prohibit firearms in federal facilities in this park. Those federal facilities are marked with signs at public entrances. Thus firearms are prohibited in the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Survey Lodge, National Mall and Memorial Parks Headquarters and Maintenance Facilities.

As for DC Parks, they’re listed in the DC Code as a public place. Aren’t there signs which prohibit firearms at DC Parks? Those signs have the force of law IIRC.

Last edited:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Here’s the law for the National Mall:

(10) The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency or entity, including U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds;
    yes, like I said you can carry on 90% of the Mall. Only a tiny protion are public memories such as inisde of W monument, etc. as you can bike or down the whole length and breadth. You can't go in buildings or on curtledge of the facilities/memorials. The times people have been arrested is attempting to enter buildings. People OPEN carried on mall during the short lived legal donut hole after the may issue ruling.
    As for DC Parks, they’re listed in the DC Code as a public place. Aren’t there signs which prohibit firearms at DC Parks? Those signs have the force of law IIRC.
    sidewalks are a public space. so are roads. DC does not blanket prohibit carry in "public space." You carry license IS about allowing carry in public space. If you carry in your own store, or home it is not carry. You dont need a licecne to concealed carry in your private space. As far as parks, please show an example of a sign. I have been to scores and scores of DC public parks as I am raising three kids here all soccer players. You do have to be careful about fields that are school grounds but that is not different in Flordia, Texas or anywhere either .

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Like our own Hvymax

IMG_0710.jpeg

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. -Louis L'amour

These United States was established via high treason -paraphrased - Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, et. al.

When peaceful change is impossible, violent revolution is inevitable -JFK

If you are not capable of great violence, you are not peaceful, you are harmless. -marcus aurelius

I say, and I do say, you carry your pistol, sir. And do so without malice. For it is only the fuckarounds who will find out.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    OP: You'll eventually develop a routine and knowledge base from carrying regularly in DC. My suggestion: carry and start exploring the neighborhood(s) starting from your home area. See a school? Detour around the block. FYI, Whole Foods Stores have "No Carry Signs" on them from what I've seen. In DC, those signs have the force of law.

This is a helpful guide which explains things succinctly: https://handgunlaw.us/states/dc.pdf

Or if you prefer: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/dc-gun-laws/
    why would you detour around a school? Just dont step on the grounds. I walk by a school on public space sidewalk every day on my way to the office.
    As far as that US concealed carry website, which has had many errors, they say parks are prohibited, and give a citation link, but that linked code does not say parks are prohibited.
    This is why it is of paramont importance that one gets a good, certified instructor, the amount incorrect info out there is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom