• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    well, iv'e been thinking about getting into reloading to save some money and have somthing to do better than nothing and i figure i will get more deadlier and accuarate rounds if i do it right from reloading..

well i looked on midway usa and looked up almost all the equipment i needed and well... just to start reloading 7mm rem mags its gonna cost me $955.02 for everything..

dies, sets, presses, tools, bullets, powder, primers, etc...

also i am choosing to go with the rcbs equipment

i dont feel like listing everything i am planning on getting one day but its all just a general idea on what my total is..

how much did it cost you guys to start up and what kind of gear do you use?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    That sounds pretty far out of the ball park even for RCBS equipment for one rifle caliber. Are you pricing progressive setups? I don't you'll need a progressive setup for one rifle caliber and a magnum at that.

I started with an RCBS master reloading kit for ~$200. That did not include dies, power or primers but still...

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    I think all of my equipment ran about $350 to start, RCBS Rockchucker kit, die set, case tumbler, powder measure, scale, book, etc.

If your only getting a little bit of powder or primers, don't buy online because the shipping will have an additional hazmat fee of $20.

Let me know when you want to order, I have a C&R account set up with them which will knock a little off the price for you.

I've been reloading 7mm Mag for a while now, and I have everything needed if you wanted to give it a try here first.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I got a Lee Anniversary setup on sale for about $70 - very basic, but it works. Since then I've picked up a few extra niceties, like a digital scale, lube pad, etc., when these things were on sale.

It's o.k. for reloading limited numbers of cartridges, but if you're into handgunning or AR shooting (lots of cartridges) it can be tedious and a progressive setup might be the way to go.

Also, you don't have to buy a case tumbler - you can clean brass by hand using 0000 steel wool pads, pretty efficiently. Again, this is o.k. for a few dozen at a time, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to be reloading hundreds of cartridges every month.

Also, get a digital caliper. You can get a pretty decent one for $20.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Buy the Frankford Arsenal vibratory cleaner from Midway. It's just as good as anybody else's for 1/2-1/3 the cost.

layusn1

Apr 18, 2008
    I started out small with the Lee Anniversary kit and kind of added this and that along the way so I had less than $200 into my initial setup. If you are dead set on going with Midway and you don't already have one consider getting a C&R FFL. There aren't spectacular savings on any one item but over the total order you could save some money, maybe even enough to pay for the C&R and then you get dealer discounts...even at places like Grafs. I would definitely say if you are buying over the internet doing as much as possible at one time will surely save you money on shipping..nothing worse than buying a $3 part and paying $5 for shipping.

I have been adding here and there and I know I now have somewhere over $1,000 in reloading gear. I don't really want to get an exact number...if I did the wife might kill me...lol. I really wouldn't recommend jumping in more than $200-$300 if you are a total noob and aren't 100% sure you are going to stick with it. If you are, an RCBS single stage will do fine for a starting press and you will always find uses for it, even if you go hog wild later and buy a Dillon 1050.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    hmmm...

i was just looking at the dillon 550b, if i were to get that to reload 7mm mag, .243win, and 7.62x54r
    then i wouldn't need all the other crap for the rcbs equipment liek the rock chucker and etc.. the dillon station has it all pretty much..

well this is what all i was thinking of getting
    all RCBS btw..

case lube kit
    single stage rock chuck press
    speer manual
    trim pro case trimmer with 7mm mag and .243win shell holders
    case prep center 110volt (do i need this?)
    aps hand priming tool
    charge master combo110 volt (so i didn't have to use a scale, its all electronic)

2-die neck sizer set 7mm rem mag, .243 winchester

but if i get the dillon RL550 i really wouldn't need all that except for the case lube pad, case cleaner, and manual right?

i mean hell i dont need the elctronic stuff and can go for the manual stuff like the scale and etc.. right?

im just trying to go for the cheaper and more convienent way of doing things...

all the stuff i listed was used during the reloading special on shooting usa...

i totally forgot about the vibratory case cleaner...

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have the case prep center and it's really nice. You can do all of the stuff it does by hand, it will just take a little longer.

The Charge Master is nice it you are planning on working up a lot of loads. If you find the load you want however a good digital scale and good volumetric powder measure are faster and can be almost as accurate and just as precise.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    if you would happen to go with LEE, i would recomend ordering from their web site
    wwwleeprescission.com
    their direct prices are much less then others like mid south and they only charge $4.00 for shipping, thats right $4.00. i ordered my press from them online and the shipping was just that.

layusn1

Apr 18, 2008
    I would say save the money on the powered toys unless you are just itching to spend some cash. There are lots of cheaper alternatives that can be chucked into a drill that work just as well and then you have more money for components...

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    I would say save the money on the powered toys unless you are just itching to spend some cash. There are lots of cheaper alternatives that can be chucked into a drill that work just as well and then you have more money for components...

true..

but i havent quite shopped around much...

i might drop the money on the trim pro since its only 90 bucks and its less hassel to find all the other crap for a drill and i might go with that dillon press if somone can tell me why i should get...

im looking for somthing that costs less but does more in a reasonable amount of time and that press seems to do it and takes up less space but i just need the dies, wheels, scale, etc... as i listed in a above post

layusn1

Apr 18, 2008
    I LOVE my 650. With the casefeeder I cranked out 1150 223 rounds in two hours once. Can't speak for the 550. I know a Dillon employee on another forum that would spend all day talking to you to help you decide what will best suit your needs. Send me a PM if you want the info.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Go with the Dillion, They've got great presses but their customer support and service is the best in the industry. One way to save money is find an old Dillion,even if it's missing parts, at a yard sale, flea market or gun show. Ship it to Dillion and they'll repair it under warranty and charge just for the parts they replace. An old shooting buddy found a Dillion 450 for $50.00, which does have the removeable head like the 550, and sent it in for repair. Well, Dillion didn't just repair it, they upgraded it to a 550 for a whopping $150.00 and that included free return shipping. That press is still going strong even though he has purchased a 1050(Lucky SOB)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom