• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I'm looking to get into hunting this year and would like to start out with muzzle loader. I have been looking around and checking prices. I'm on a budget. I don't want to dump a ton of money into it, but I'm also not going to be "cheap" because I don't want to have spent money on a gun that won't suit my needs for a while.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

CVA Buckhorn 209 Magnum - $138.99

I know it's cheap, but it seems to have good reviews all over the internet. The only "negative" I have seen is that one person seemed to find it difficult to clean. I've got some guns and some are harder to clean than others so that's not a huge turn off for me.

Keep in mind I am completely green on this. I have zero experience with muzzle loaders.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My first question is, you say you have zero experience with a muzzleloader, so, do you understand the accessories required, powder, primers, power measure, bullets, how to measure powder, what bullets to use, scope, capper / decapper, etc. ?

Are you buying a muzzleloader because it is cheap to buy ?

What kind of hunting are you planning on doing with a muzzleloader?

I'm not so sure a muzzleloader is something you want to jump right into if you have no experience hunting, unless you have someone who can teach you or work with you in person about a muzzleloader.

You might want to first consider posting a thread to see if there is someone here in your area who will give you some lessons on using a muzzleloader one-on-one. I have no reasons why a new hunter can not walk right into a muzzleloader and learn, but, you have to realize it is more complex than shooting a shotgun and having someone who has experience would be your best benefit to start.

As for the CVA Buckhorn, Read Here:

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    I would agree with SOMDSHOOT. Get someone to teach you-

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp_classes.asp You can take online course, home independent study course and check for ML or hunter safety course near you
    ML courses----
    Anne Arundel MEYER STATION 301-642-4033 10/10/2010 OCT. 10 PRE REG. NO COURSE FEE
    Howard HO.CO.FAIRGROUNDS 410-635-3522 10/02/2010 OCT. 2 HUNTSAFE@COMCAST.NET.

Next check the internet for online courses. Almost every state has them now. In addition check out http://www.cva.com/videos.php

It's called Muzzleloading Basics-this is directly from CVA-

"and is broken down into easy to view chapters, each covering one important aspect of muzzleloading. These include the following: Types of Muzzleloaders, Muzzleloader Calibers, Muzzleloading Propellants, Muzzleloader Projectiles, Muzzleloading Ignition Systems, Muzzleloading Accessories, Muzzleloader Safety, Muzzleloader Loading and Shooting and Muzzleloader Cleaning. We recommend that you watch each segment in sequence, even if you just watch one at a time, as each chapter builds upon the previous chapter. The video player is very user friendly, so you’ll find that the video can controlled just by using the slide bar feature located underneath the screen. This allows you stop the video for note taking, rewind and replay for review, or just to pause for a break during the video segment."

act now and your questions will be answered. good luck

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If you have to stay at that price point, I'd have to recommend finding a solid, used Knight Wolverine or American Knight. Or maybe a used TC base model gun. A little more money can get you into a solid, decent TC model(Impact, Omega). Still more will get you a top-of-the-line TC or Savage.

And as mentioned above, informed instruction goes a long way in helping you begin. Modern muzzleloading is far easier today than it once was, but not something to take for granted. Good luck hunting this year.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I am looking to buy a muzzle loader because that's the season I want to hunt. The property is not in an area allowing rifle, and I will probably be hunting shotgun as well. It's just going to open up more seasons for me. Not because it's cheap. I am planning to hunt deer with it.

I know the basics of a muzzle loader Primer, Pyrodex, Bullet, Sabot. I just don't have all of the technical experiences of it. I do have people to help me learn more so that's not an issue.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I would agree with SOMDSHOOT. Get someone to teach you-

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp_classes.asp You can take online course, home independent study course and check for ML or hunter safety course near you
    ML courses----
    Anne Arundel MEYER STATION 301-642-4033 10/10/2010 OCT. 10 PRE REG. NO COURSE FEE
    Howard HO.CO.FAIRGROUNDS 410-635-3522 10/02/2010 OCT. 2 HUNTSAFE@COMCAST.NET.

Next check the internet for online courses. Almost every state has them now. In addition check out http://www.cva.com/videos.php

It's called Muzzleloading Basics-this is directly from CVA-

"and is broken down into easy to view chapters, each covering one important aspect of muzzleloading. These include the following: Types of Muzzleloaders, Muzzleloader Calibers, Muzzleloading Propellants, Muzzleloader Projectiles, Muzzleloading Ignition Systems, Muzzleloading Accessories, Muzzleloader Safety, Muzzleloader Loading and Shooting and Muzzleloader Cleaning. We recommend that you watch each segment in sequence, even if you just watch one at a time, as each chapter builds upon the previous chapter. The video player is very user friendly, so you’ll find that the video can controlled just by using the slide bar feature located underneath the screen. This allows you stop the video for note taking, rewind and replay for review, or just to pause for a break during the video segment."

act now and your questions will be answered. good luck

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

If you have to stay at that price point, I'd have to recommend finding a solid, used Knight Wolverine or American Knight. Or maybe a used TC base model gun. A little more money can get you into a solid, decent TC model(Impact, Omega). Still more will get you a top-of-the-line TC or Savage.

And as mentioned above, informed instruction goes a long way in helping you begin. Modern muzzleloading is far easier today than it once was, but not something to take for granted. Good luck hunting this year.

Not necessarily stuck at that price range. I havent even completely sold myself on buying one yet. I'm just opening myself up to it at this point. The season is right around the corner, but if I miss it and have to wait until next year after more practice and experience with a muzzleloader then so be it.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    More time in the woods is always a great reason to take on muzzleloading. With that in mind, I stand by my recommendations above. Used Knight or TC to stay at a lower price point.

The TC Omega or Impact would be my personal recommendation. They are quality, well-built guns that will serve you well for many years with regular cleaning and care. I love my Omega; more accurate than me, easy to clean, and ALWAYS goes bang. Mine was easy to find a load for as well.

First load I tried was the Hornady 240 gr XTP sabot over 2-50 gr pyro pellets. First 3 shots after I adjusted the scope were nearly touching @ 50 yds. First group @ 100 was just a hair over 2". Stopped searching right there. You may have similar luck, so don't rule out being ready in time this year. Hope you find one you like and get you some venison with it this fall.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    BTW, next to hunting with my 44 SBH Hunter, I love hunting with a muzzleloader most. I'm sure you will too.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am looking to buy a muzzle loader because that's the season I want to hunt. The property is not in an area allowing rifle, and I will probably be hunting shotgun as well. It's just going to open up more seasons for me. Not because it's cheap. I am planning to hunt deer with it.

I know the basics of a muzzle loader Primer, Pyrodex, Bullet, Sabot. I just don't have all of the technical experiences of it. I do have people to help me learn more so that's not an issue.

Ok, then given the additional information, I would suggest stepping up a few gun grades and looking a higher quality muzzleloader, Higher end CVA, mid grade Traditions, and if you wish to swing the money to buy something that's going to last for many years, go with the Thompson Center or Traditions guns, even a higher quality CVA (optima / wolf) will serve you better than the Buckhorn, they are pretty low budget guns.

When it comes to muzzleloaders, don't cheat yourself, expect to spent at least $200-$300.00

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    When it comes to muzzleloaders, don't cheat yourself, expect to spent at least $200-$300.00

For the scope not the gun right?:innocent0

Buy cheap and you'll get exactly that, a cheap gun that you will probably regret ever buying. My opinion is that if you are going to do it, do it right, the first time. Encores are a bit pricey, but consider the T/C Triumph. Easy to clean, will never rust on the outside, accurate, and reliable. Look for deals on used ones, there is a blackpowder shop in Essex (forgot the name) give them a call.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    For the scope not the gun right?:innocent0

Buy cheap and you'll get exactly that, a cheap gun that you will probably regret ever buying. (dats wut I'm sayin') My opinion is that if you are going to do it, do it right, the first time. Encores are a bit pricey, but consider the T/C Triumph. Easy to clean, will never rust on the outside, accurate, and reliable. Look for deals on used ones, there is a blackpowder shop in Essex (forgot the name) give them a call.

Yeah sure, whatever you want to spend it on I don't mind. I have 3-4 muzzloaders here that were $300.00 or less and they are just fine 5-10 years later, not a speck of rust. If you want to spend over $400.00 on the gun alone that's fine, but, some guys also buy guns like they buy shoes and paying the additional for a pair of Nike's is not always a requirement for quality.

$600.00-$800.00 for a Savage or a TC is over the top, unless you shoot it more than just deer hunting. My $200.00 Traditions Buckhunter out shoots my Traditions Pursuit Pro XLT every time and that gun was over $450.00 I shoot the same distance with both guns, but, the cheaper guns are actually more accurate than my more expensive models.

The point is you don't have to jump into a $500.00 gun unless you want to keep up with the next guy for reasons otherwise. I'm a proud owner of several Traditions and TC muzzleloaders, but, I prefer the Traditions over the TC's I own.

The fella wants to spend $138.99 on a rifle and I'm trying to put in the right direction of a higher quality muzzleloader, but, I'm also trying to say, You don't have to bet the mortgage to buy a deer hunting gun. If he wants to expend the funds to buy a Triumph or an Encore, I congratulate him.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Check out Sportsmans Guide. They usually have a decent selection of brands and models usually for way less than retail.

Sportsmans Guide does have some good deals. They have mostly Traditions, but, there are some good choices there. I would seriously suggest going to a dealer where you can feel and handle what you're getting. Overall all muzzleloaders are pretty much equal, they sling the same bullet at the same target with the same accuracy overall, it's all about personal preference and budget, and it's all in what you get used to.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    What was your experience with them?

False info posted on products. Only thing they wanted to do was give me a $10 off coupon and I get them every email they send me so it's not like they were doing anything to help.

On the other hand a buddy of mine bought a tree stand roof from them, one of the nylon fold jobs, and that thing has lasted 2 blizzards and many thunderstorms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom