• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    I tend to think the safest direction is down because I shoot outside. I don't want a stray round fly off and hit someone heaven forbid so I aim at the ground and at worst I plug the dirt.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It depends.

Outdoor ranges- dirt floor = Down
    Concrete floor= UP

Sling carry=UP

Shooting on the move
    High or low ready... but most suggest muzzle up.

If you want to get shot or really piss people off.. Muzzle sideways

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I was just a Marriotsville today and I'm not sure they have a rule on "up" or "down" but I've been "gently" reminded (and rightfully so) that muzzles are always to be pointed down range. I like to take my bore-snakes to the range with me and pull them through every few groups to keep the bore tidy. Doing this necessitates holding the rifle down to drop the weighted end through the bore, then turning the rifle up to pull the snake through. I consistently do this with no complaints from fellow shooters.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I tend to think the safest direction is down because I shoot outside. I don't want a stray round fly off and hit someone heaven forbid so I aim at the ground and at worst I plug the dirt.

Many years ago and in another state, a gent with a nice skeet O/U went to close his gun after loading and one of the barrels fired. Needless to say many people on the skeet fields jumped. He had his muzzle pointed down, but at a slight angle. The shot ricocheted off the asphalt walkway and sent lead and aggregate flying.

The way I remember it was that debris caused the firing pin to remain protruding and caused a slam fire when he closed the gun.

The gun was removed from the line and the owner was a bit shaken.

After making sure no one was injured and no underwear had to be emptied, the Saturday skeet shoot resumed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom