• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Anyone finding any mushrooms?
    Spent about an hour and a half walking the woods in Southern AACO this afternoon and still haven't found any.
    Did find an old box turtle shell though.
    I know it was too dry for so long, maybe not warm enough since the rain last week.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Got them in my yard, pretty sure they are edible, since I have a mushroom farm about 1/2 mile away from my house. The spores travel with the wind, as does the smell...:sad20:

Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Got them in my yard, pretty sure they are edible, since I have a mushroom farm about 1/2 mile away from my house. The spores travel with the wind, as does the smell...:sad20:

I know the big white ones definitely aren't, one of our dogs ate one in our yard and died the next day.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I found my first one this year the last week of March. Found about 80 two weeks ago. Went out the other day and hardly found any. I think the cold weather shocked them or something. They should be out quite regular within the next week.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

I thought mushrooms were grown in caves or cool, moist, dark places?

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I'd love to find some ramps aka wild leeks, but have not found any in St. Mary's. Can anyone verify if we even have them here?

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I'm going to wait a few more weeks until I start going out to look. We've got some shiitake plugs in a few logs at my parents and they have a couple stumps that continuously grow wild mushrooms.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    not if you know which are edible.
    That's just the thing. It can be nearly impossible to discern the difference even for experts. Even if you're perfect a poisonous shroom nearby can contaminate all the ones in the area. One mistake affords you a painful death. And Mushrooms are cheap at the grocery store so the risk just doesn't justify it to me. Its not like you're picking truffles.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    That's just the thing. It can be nearly impossible to discern the difference even for experts. Even if you're perfect a poisonous shroom nearby can contaminate all the ones in the area. One mistake affords you a painful death. And Mushrooms are cheap at the grocery store so the risk just doesn't justify it to me. Its not like you're picking truffles.

My uncle in france has a mushroom book that he takes on his walks. When I was there nearly every day he brought back mushrooms that were used for dinner. He said his rule was if he wasnt 100% sure then he wouldnt pick it. Fortunately no ones dead yet, but I do agree that it's a pretty risky thing.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    My uncle in france has a mushroom book that he takes on his walks. When I was there nearly every day he brought back mushrooms that were used for dinner. He said his rule was if he wasnt 100% sure then he wouldnt pick it. Fortunately no ones dead yet, but I do agree that it's a pretty risky thing.

That's the thing, you just need to make sure you're 100% sure. I know of a bunch of species that are edible but I'm only 100% on 4 in this area. If I believe I've found an edible mushroom and am unsure, I investigate first and let it be.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore

Kits like this are available from a number of companies and are a great way to start 'reloading' your favorite type of mushrooms in a safe way. As noted above, it is (remotely) possible for a poisonous mushroom to cross-contaminate a bunch of safe specimens over time if outdoors and not contained.

If you have a neighbor that has horses they normally don't have any problem giving away some manure and waste straw, especially if you take it out of the barn yourself. Roll this in a compost bin for a while (several weeks) then drop it into a shallow plastic storage containers about the size of a large baking pan and 10-12 inches deep, e.g.: sterilite, cornerstone, rubbermaid, etc. This size is easy to handle and store. Clear bins lets you see about how much moisture, colonization, and eventual growth you have, at the small cost of some species getting 'tanner'/darker with the added light.

Take the kit that has started to fizzle out after the third flush and with thoroughly scrubbed hands, break up the initial kit and stir it into one or more of the prepared bins. Cover it with a thin layer of peat moss and water a good bit. Put the cover on the bin and leave it in a temperature appropriate (for the species) area. Check on the moisture levels every other day or so (if it's covered). Sooner or later you'll have loads more mushrooms. Small but important note: the bins will start launching spores when you open them so it you do this inside, say in a closet, do yourself a huge favor and line it with plastic sheeting first and don't store bedsheets, towels, or clothes in with the mushrooms. Be aware of anyone in the house that may be allergic/sensitive to the spores if they escape the covered bins.

This will let you take a small initial investment and pretty much perpetually grow these suckers.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I can honestly say I have never seen a truly poisonous mushroom. Most "poisonous" mushrooms around here, if consumed, cause diarrhea and stomach cramps. I've seen worse side effects on the bottle of medications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom