• Total voters

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Ammo in a safe is not wise.

Think pressure cooker in a fire.
    No. Ammo will simply burn and 'poof' one round at a time. Like popcorn.

I don't know of any safe that would hold thousands of pounds of pressure, before failing explosively.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Most safes should be bolted directly to the wall or floor, preventing movement buy unauthorized persons.

Easy to remove, if you need to move.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    The more the better,, spread them out, keep them as hidden from causal view as possible,, build a few into walls, etc.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got two big ones...and need a third. Probably best to have a dedicated rifle safe, and a dedicated pistol safe. YMMV, depending on the composition of your collection.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No. Ammo will simply burn and 'poof' one round at a time. Like popcorn.

I don't know of any safe that would hold thousands of pounds of pressure, before failing explosively.
    Powder in containers would be a bad idea in a safe though. Most decent safes are designed for seals to close up under high heat. Will it contain thousands of pounds of pressure before the seals failed? Nope. But it very well might hold the pressure sufficiently long enough and high enough to restrain the combustion event sufficiently to allow the powder to combust faster and reached a detonation event, or at least a conflagration sufficient to cause rapid disassembly of the entire safe.

A pressure cooker can't hold thousands of pounds of pressure either, but they can hold enough pressure long enough to allow things like BP and many other very low explosives or propellants to reach detonation.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Powder in containers would be a bad idea in a safe though.
    Agreed, depending on the container. Plastic will melt quickly and eliminate any pressure. Metal cans - seams will probably fail before any detonation.

Follow manufacturers guidance for storage.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A defunct non latching refrigerator makes a good powder storage vessel.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lots of great comments in this thread.

I think a lot of guys here are going with the "multiple" angle because of the fact that they had to buy another one to rectify the issue of having outgrown the first. That's where I currently am.

My stop-gap solution was to buy a somewhat inexpensive gun locker that I put in my basement, and that contains some things of lesser value that I don't use as often and were taking up space in the main safe, but at some point I'm going to have to get something a bit more robust, as well as portable - something like Zanotti Armor or SnapSafe. I don't have a basement walk-out, so getting a larger safe into my basement will require something that can be assembled in place.

Anyway, I like the idea of having multiple safes, provided there's some kind of organizational structure for what goes where.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Multiple if your budget allows. Downside to a big safe, particularly if you like to shoot a variety, is having to pull a bunch of rifles out of the safe to get to the one you want that day. You're less inclined to shoot the ones in the back.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    I just keep adding safes... One for NFA, One for AR rifles, One for long guns, one for pistols and other goodies
    -Russ

small_DSA9446.jpg

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i went with multiple safes over one for two reasons. first was getting safes into my basement was tight and one big one would not make it down he stairwell. the other was pricing. with black friday deals it was pretty much the same price to get two safes and it was more capacity. the only downside i could see would be having to buy two different humidifiers but even that is a stretch. either way you go just make sure you get as much capacity as you can afford because you will fill them up. i thought with 2 safes i would have plenty of room but i was wrong. i need another one.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    In addition to the previously mentioned perks, unless you are buying them all at once, multiples essentially let you pay in installments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom